The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 05, 2021, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Generous 3 seconds in the Lane @NCAA games

Is it just me, or have the NCAA tourney refs been according extreme generosity with letting players occupy the lane while holding the ball? I've observed players getting into the lane, pivoting several times, and pump faking several times, only to ultimately pass the ball back out to perimeter after being in the lane for obviously longer than 4 seconds! This "squatting in the lane" is certainly not allowed in my high-school games;however, the current college rules may be different. My ref partners and I all tend to "allow them a lil time to do their business"; however, if the player passes it back out after we've allowed them all this time to maneuver, then we'll kill the play (3 seconds violation ). Hay far be it from me to critique the "best refs in business" as I'm just a high-school level ref, but this frequent deviation from the norm was glaring.

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Mon Apr 05, 2021 at 09:00pm.
Old Mon Apr 05, 2021, 08:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

The count is suspended when the player goes to the basket. So not sure your point if you want this to be JH, then that is not going to happen.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 05, 2021, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=JRutledge;1042651]The count is suspended when the player goes to the basket.

*in the case described by me, said Player is already at/near/under the basket and just pivoting against a defensive wall. So, you saying that the count is still suspended?

So not sure your point if you want this to be JH, then that is not going to happen.

Peace[/QUOTE
*For clarity, the Point is: why not a 3 sec call in the case described? Oh and FYI, it doesn't have to JH, I've seen it correctly and diligently called even in NBA games. So please, your sarcasm is unwarranted.

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Mon Apr 05, 2021 at 09:08pm.
Old Mon Apr 05, 2021, 09:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
*For clarity, the Point is: why not a 3 sec call in the case described? Oh and FYI, it doesn't have to JH, I've seen it correctly and diligently called even in NBA games. So please, your sarcasm is unwarranted.
I just gave a portion of the rule. Three seconds is suspended when a player goes to the basket. And if you are calling this the way you suggest, you would have 30 of these violations, which I think does not fit the game or the philosophy. It does not fit at a high school game. These players are going up and down the court and you talking about 3 seconds?

Peace
Old Mon Apr 05, 2021, 09:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

NCAA Rule 9-9.

Quote:
Section 9. Three Seconds in the Lane
Art. 1. The three-second lane is the area in the front court that is bounded by and includes the end line, the free-throw lane lines and the free-throw line, and includes such lines.

Art. 2. It is a violation for a player to have any part of his body remain in the three-second lane for more than three consecutive seconds while the ball is in control of that player’s team in his frontcourt.

a.The three-second violation rule is not in effect when a team is in control
of the ball for a throw-in.

Art. 3. The three-second count is suspended when a player who, having been in the three-second lane for less than three seconds, dribbles or moves in immediately to try for field goal. The player shall not pass the ball instead of trying for goal. In this case, it is a violation when a player exceeds three seconds in the lane and there is no try for goal.
This is right out of the NCAA Rulebook.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 05, 2021, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure if the above post reply is comprehending the central issue or if you are attempting to reconfigure my initial question to fit an opinion you may have? JRutledge you keep saying "when a player goes to the basket", that is not the case that I initially described: pleas re read, the player is not "going to the basket", s/he is already " at /under/often trapped in the lane" against appropriate defense and is squatting ther pivoting and pump faking several times. Then passes ball back out to perimeter after longer than 4 seconds n the lane.
Old Mon Apr 05, 2021, 09:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I'm not sure if the above post reply is comprehending the central issue or if you are attempting to reconfigure my initial question to fit an opinion you may have? JRutledge you keep saying "when a player goes to the basket", that is not the case that I initially described: pleas re read, the player is not "going to the basket", s/he is already " at /under/often trapped in the lane" against appropriate defense and is squatting ther pivoting and pump faking several times. Then passes ball back out to perimeter after longer than 4 seconds n the lane.
I am not seeing these plays you are discribing and I am watching the game. So that is why I am a little puzzled honestly. There is not a play I am even thinking three seconds violations in this game. They are going up and down the court. But again maybe it is just me.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 05, 2021, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

No no, not in this particular game, but other ones in other rounds. This particular game in my opinion has been very well officiated as I'm sure you will agree.
Old Mon Apr 05, 2021, 10:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

I thought you were talking about this game. There is hardly any post play in this game. Other games, maybe I guess. I saw a lot of games and did not see things that stood out in that area that were not called. I did see a few 3-second calls this tournament. A couple were a shock.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 06, 2021, 11:11am
Esteemed Forum Member

Dare I Say Automatic ???

Quote:
I've observed players getting into the lane, pivoting several times, and pump faking several times, only to ultimately pass the ball back out to perimeter after being in the lane for obviously longer than 4 seconds! My ref partners and I all tend to "allow them a little time to do their business"; however, if the player passes it back out after we've allowed them all this time to maneuver, then we'll kill the play (3 seconds violation).
In my high school games these are the easiest three second violations to call. I, and my high school official colleagues, call them every single time we see them, giving absolutely no thought to subjective judgment, or to advantage/disadvantage, and there are never any quarrels, or complaints, from players, coaches, and fans when these type of three second violations are called.

This is not the kind of play where a player without the ball gets "lost" in the lane for slightly more than three seconds, gaining little, or no, advantage, and forcing high school officials into a subjective judgment advantage/disadvantage mode to decide to call the three second violation, or not, often being offered "help" by coaches, and fans (and occasionally players), and in fact, some, but not all, officials will offer some "help" themselves, "Get out of the lane" (basketball official polite code for, "Get out of the lane you knucklehead").
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Apr 07, 2021 at 09:57am.
Old Tue Apr 06, 2021, 12:02pm
Courageous When Prudent

There was one offensive sequence in the second half where Baylor may have been in the paint for 3 seconds and it did involve players catching the ball in the key and then passing it out. I only paid attention because I could hear somebody over the microphone yelling for 3 seconds.

But other than that, I didn't see anything close.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk