The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 11, 2021, 11:14am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fun With Screens ...

Is this an illegal screen? Observe the play and make a judgment if there is an illegal screen set to free up the jump shooter.

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...s0WMxB6sPU.mp4

Two choices: This is an illegal screen. This is not an illegal screen

My comment: This is an illegal screen. Black #33 took a step to her right and made illegal contact with defender White #11.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Mar 11, 2021, 11:16am
Esteemed Forum Member

However ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
My comment: This is an illegal screen. Black #33 took a step to her right and made illegal contact with defender White #11.
Center had a great look and passed, so I have no problem with anybody else passing on this play. Tough call for me. Probably depends on what's already happened in the game, what's been called, and what hasn't been called.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Mar 11, 2021 at 01:10pm.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2021, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Probably a "Hey make sure you are set on your screens" from me
Old Thu Mar 11, 2021, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Contact allowing black to get an uncontested 3-point try. Illegal screen.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2021, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure there was any contact that impeded the defender. It looks like she saw the screen and avoided it. At most, she touched the screen with her hands, but it was her own actions that rerouted her.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2021, 08:54am
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Survey Says …

Disclaimer: For IAABO eyes only. Below is not a NFHS interpretation, it's only an IAABO International interpretation which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum.

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...s0WMxB6sPU.mp4

IAABO International Play Commentary: Correct Answer: This is not an illegal screen.

This is a challenging play. Black #33 in the high post attempts to set a screen on white #11 to help a teammate attempt a 3-point attempt. Black #33 initial screening stance is wider than shoulder-width, and is moving to her right when the defender is attempting to get under the screen to defend the try.

The rule states, the screener must be stationary, except when both the screener and opponent are moving in the same path and the same direction. (4-40-2c) So, therefore, the fact that Black #33 is moving while attempting to screen makes this an illegal screening position. As we have discussed before, the severity of contact is not a factor in screening situations. If the screener is moving and contact occurs, which impedes the defender, it is a foul.

So was there contact that illegally impeded the defender? In our humble opinion, the screener (despite being in an illegal position by moving while attempting to screen) did not cause contact that impeded the defender. However, it should be noted that this opinion is in the minority. 56% of respondents believe the screener did cause contact that impeded the defender and therefore have rules support to rule a team control foul on this play.

Here is the breakdown of the IAABO members that commented on the video: This is an illegal screen 57% (including me). This is not an illegal screen 43%.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Mar 15, 2021 at 08:58am.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2021, 10:11am
Do not give a damn!!

Nothing. I see no contact and certainly no displacement.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 15, 2021, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Nothing. I see no contact and certainly no displacement.

Peace
Agree...it had the potential for being an illegal screen, but when the defender chose to go around it without contact that impeded the defender, it can't be a foul.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2021, 12:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Contact? We Don't Need No Stinking Contact …

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
... it had the potential for being an illegal screen, but when the defender chose to go around it without contact that impeded the defender, it can't be a foul.
Anybody who's officiated basketball a lick knows what the fans in the cheap seats are yelling.

"Moving screen".

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Mar 15, 2021 at 12:39pm.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2021, 12:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I'm not sure there was any contact that impeded the defender. It looks like she saw the screen and avoided it. At most, she touched the screen with her hands, but it was her own actions that rerouted her.
And that is how I think in general we should call them. Many times players set bad screens, but the screened player or mostly the defender alters their own route, which causes no displacement. I do not reward an illegal screen unless the screened player is knocked off of their spot. But if they choose to not keep going or stop short of any significant contact, let it go. Kind of like a holding foul in football, where the defender has to do something (or the offensive player often in the secondary) to get away. If you give up, not giving you anything.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 15, 2021, 01:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Too Much Space ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Many times players set bad screens ...
... And sometimes the teammate using the screen uses the screen poorly, allowing too much space for a defender to squeeze through, which often results in the screener moving to adjust to close up that extra space.

As officials we can often predict these situations from a mile away, and prepare to watch for illegal movement and, possibly, subsequent illegal contact.

As a coach, I used to ask my players who didn't use screens properly, "Did you really want to lose your defender?".

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Mar 15, 2021 at 04:56pm.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2021, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... And sometimes the teammate using the screen uses the screen poorly, allowing too much space for a defender to squeeze through, which often results in the screener moving to adjust to close up that extra space.
Exactly, BillyMac: 100% my observation, too. Years ago, I used to see the dribbler pass by the screener nearly touching shoulders. Nowadays, I see enough real estate between teammates that I expect to see a "For Rent" sign appear in that space.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2021, 04:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Dancing Cheek To Cheek (Fred Astaire, 1935) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin View Post
Years ago, I used to see the dribbler pass by the screener nearly touching shoulders.
Back in the mid-twentieth century, when I was in high school, we were taught to use screens with teammates "rubbing" shoulder against shoulder.

That's Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. in the upper right hand photo, demonstrating his two hand set shot.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Mar 15, 2021 at 06:19pm.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2021, 09:41pm
Courageous When Prudent

I don't think the screener prevents the defender from doing what she wants to do, which is going under the screener.

I think if she contests over the top and there is even slight contact, then I'm far more apt to lean towards calling a foul.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk