The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NFHS Substitution Rule (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105333-nfhs-substitution-rule.html)

cozzmokramer Tue Mar 09, 2021 08:31pm

NFHS Substitution Rule

Anyone ever seen this rule requested by a team captain?

[Rule 3-3-1e]
The official shall grant a captain's request for a defensive match-up if
three or more substitutes from the same team enter the game during a
substitution opportunity.

JRutledge Tue Mar 09, 2021 09:40pm

Like maybe once. And it was after a change or clarification of the rule like the next year after the wording change that was made. Never had it happen since.

Peace

crosscountry55 Tue Mar 09, 2021 09:47pm

Nope. I think this is one of those relic rules that may have been exercised more frequently decades ago when being a captain meant something and the officials actually remembered who that person was more than three seconds after the pre-game conference ended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raymond Tue Mar 09, 2021 09:57pm

There is a local coach who has an extremely high basketball IQ, officiated for awhile, and had a cup of tea as an NBA player who has utilized it on multiplre occasions. I'm convinced that sometimes he does it just to see if an official knows the rule.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

cozzmokramer Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:14pm

Is this still a rule or has it been changed?

Camron Rust Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cozzmokramer (Post 1042042)

Still a rule.

bob jenkins Wed Mar 10, 2021 08:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cozzmokramer (Post 1042037)
Anyone ever seen this rule requested by a team captain?

[Rule 3-3-1e]
The official shall grant a captain's request for a defensive match-up if
three or more substitutes from the same team enter the game during a
substitution opportunity.

All the time.

cozzmokramer Wed Mar 10, 2021 08:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1042044)
All the time.

I've never seen it requested. So how long does the team captain get to make a matching substitution(s)? Wouldn't this be a way essentially gain extra time outs and/or to slow down teams who like to run 5 players in at a time 5 like Grinnell?

Raymond Wed Mar 10, 2021 09:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cozzmokramer (Post 1042045)
I've never seen it requested. So how long does the team captain get to make a matching substitution(s)? Wouldn't this be a way essentially gain extra time outs and/or to slow down teams who like to run 5 players in at a time 5 like Grinnell?

If you run in 5 subs, the opponent is allowed to matchup. Maybe Grinnell should run in 2 subs at a time to avoid the delays.

SC Official Wed Mar 10, 2021 09:10am

I must have missed something. Who is Grinnell?

BillyMac Wed Mar 10, 2021 09:23am

Mistakenly Disappeared ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1042038)
... after a change or clarification of the rule like the next year after the wording change that was made ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by cozzmokramer (Post 1042042)

Not sure it was changed, or clarified, but it did mistakenly disappear from the rulebook for a few years. After a high school coach friend of mine asked me if it was a real rule or just something the guys at the YMCA made up, I tried to look it up and it was gone. My local interpreter looked into it and suggested that I contact the NFHS, which I did and it was put back into the rulebook in 2003-04.

BillyMac Wed Mar 10, 2021 09:29am

Black Line All The Way Around ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1042040)
... decades ago when being a captain meant something and the officials actually remembered who that person was more than three seconds after the pre-game conference ended.

Connecticut COVID protocols include only allowing the referee, and the head coach and one captain from each team at the pregame coaches-officials-captains pregame meeting. Makes for a streamlined meeting. Let's keep the guideline next year.

BillyMac Wed Mar 10, 2021 09:32am

Three Jump Ball Circles ...

Quote:

So how long does the team captain get to make a matching substitution(s)?

We used to do these lineup matchups around one of the three jump ball circles, back when there were three jump ball circles.

bob jenkins Wed Mar 10, 2021 09:36am

Quote:

The rule does not mention anything about "matching substitutions."

SC Official Wed Mar 10, 2021 09:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1042050)
Connecticut COVID protocols include only allowing the referee, and the head coach and one captain from each team at the pregame coaches-officials-captains pregame meeting. Makes for a streamlined meeting. Let's keep the guideline next year.

Let's get rid of the pregame shenanigans period.