The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NFHS Substitution Rule (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105333-nfhs-substitution-rule.html)

JRutledge Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1042055)
Let's get rid of the pregame shenanigans period.

It has not hurt anything in this past year. We have officiated and been able to control the very same things we did before.

Peace

cozzmokramer Wed Mar 10, 2021 01:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1042052)
The rule does not mention anything about "matching substitutions."

Sorry that was me interpreting what it may look like. It does say "defensive matchup". Either way I don't see why it's still a rule.

cozzmokramer Wed Mar 10, 2021 01:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1042047)
I must have missed something. Who is Grinnell?

Simplified explanation of Grinnell style (sometimes called 'The System') is subbing 4-5 players every minute or so to keep players fresh so they can face guard full court press to wear opponents out.

BillyMac Wed Mar 10, 2021 02:00pm

Confused In Middle School ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by cozzmokramer (Post 1042060)
Either way I don't see why it's still a rule.

Players at the middle school level and below can often get confused when playing man to man defense and a lot of opposing substitutes are beckoned.

Altor Wed Mar 10, 2021 02:08pm

Quote:

Sorry that was me interpreting what it may look like. It does say "defensive matchup". Either way I don't see why it's still a rule.

It's not a big deal. You probably do it now without an official request from the captain and don't even realize it.

R: [beckons 3 subs from H], waits for subs to enter and replaced players to leave, points to partner to put the ball in play.
V-Captain: Wait a second sir, we want to make sure we are matched up properly.
V-Cap (to teamates): I have 12. Who has 15?
V20: I do.
V25: I have 32.
V-Cap (to official): Thank you. I think we're ready.

JRutledge Wed Mar 10, 2021 02:44pm

Hope this helps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1042047)
I must have missed something. Who is Grinnell?

Grinnell is a college in Iowa at the D3 level (Midwest Conference) and they run 5 subs in like every minute. The goal is to play everyone on the bench for the most part and shoot the ball within like 7 seconds of the possession. A lot of threes and a lot of up and down basketball. They can easily score over 100 points and often play little defense because the goal is to outscore you and wear you down. Some times try to play with them and others try to slow the ball down a little to control more of the tempo. I have had the opportunity to officiate Grinnell, but there are a few schools that used this system at the high school level. There was a team in the south suburbs that ran this system and he was a coach that played at Depaul and happened to send like two sons to the Grinnell program. I think I was on a game where they set the state record for 3 point shots and makes in a game about 8 or 9 years ago.

But all that being said even when this system was used, there were programs that never asked for match-up requests. So it is really not a very widely used rule and certainly not used at that level.

Peace

bob jenkins Wed Mar 10, 2021 06:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by billymac (Post 1042063)
players [deleted] can often get confused when playing man to man defense and a lot of opposing substitutes are beckoned.

fify

BillyMac Wed Mar 10, 2021 07:20pm

Politically Correct ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1042068)
fify

Person to person defense?

SC Official Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1042066)
Grinnell is a college in Iowa at the D3 level (Midwest Conference) and they run 5 subs in like every minute. The goal is to play everyone on the bench for the most part and shoot the ball within like 7 seconds of the possession. A lot of threes and a lot of up and down basketball. They can easily score over 100 points and often play little defense because the goal is to outscore you and wear you down. Some times try to play with them and others try to slow the ball down a little to control more of the tempo. I have had the opportunity to officiate Grinnell, but there are a few schools that used this system at the high school level. There was a team in the south suburbs that ran this system and he was a coach that played at Depaul and happened to send like two sons to the Grinnell program. I think I was on a game where they set the state record for 3 point shots and makes in a game about 8 or 9 years ago.

But all that being said even when this system was used, there were programs that never asked for match-up requests. So it is really not a very widely used rule and certainly not used at that level.

Peace

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

Raymond Thu Mar 11, 2021 02:17pm

Quote:

Because coaches still want the rule in place?