The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 05, 2021, 10:56am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fun With A Reverse Hot Stove Touch ...

Does Dribbler commit a foul on this play? Dribbler contacts defender with right arm twice while dribbling. Is it a foul or is this incidental contact? If defender had done same to dribbler, would a foul be ruled?

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...YF7jTAfA%3D%3D

Two choices: This is a player control foul. This is incidental contact.

My comment: This is incidental contact. No advantage gained.

Thoughts?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Mar 05, 2021, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Um, no. This is not a foul.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2021, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

No Foul !!
Old Fri Mar 05, 2021, 02:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Where is the hot stove?

Peace
Old Fri Mar 05, 2021, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

I have no foul on this play.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2021, 06:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hot Stove Touch ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Where is the hot stove?
Here in my little corner of Connecticut, we refer to the first, only, and short-lived touch of ball handler by a defender as a legal "hot stove touch". Any hand contact beyond that becomes justification to adjudicate a hand check foul.

10-6-12: The following acts constitute a foul when committed against a ball handler/dribbler. A player becomes a ball handler when he/she receives the ball. This would include a player in a post position.
a. Placing two hands on the player.
b. Placing an extended arm bar on the player.
c. Placing and keeping a hand on the player.
d. Contacting the player more than once with the same hand or alternating hands.

I used the made-up phrase "reverse hot stove touch" to describe this video play, the first, only, short-lived, and possibly legal touch of a defender by a ball handler.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 07, 2021 at 01:08pm.
Old Sat Mar 06, 2021, 03:48pm
Courageous When Prudent

They need to find another play for this discussion.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Sat Mar 06, 2021, 04:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Intrigue ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
They need to find another play for this discussion.
I usually only post interesting video situations, situations that might generate some lively debate, and don't usually bother to post the mundane situations. The only reason that I posted this video was because the IAABO question, "If defender had done same to dribbler, would a foul be ruled?" intrigued me.

Old Sat Mar 06, 2021, 10:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Here in my little corner of Connecticut, we refer to the first, only, and short-lived touch of ball handler by a defender as a legal "hot stove touch". Any hand contact beyond that becomes justification to adjudicate a hand check foul.

10-6-12: The following acts constitute a foul when committed against a ball handler/dribbler. A player becomes a ball handler when he/she receives the ball. This would include a player in a post position.
a. Placing two hands on the player.
b. Placing an extended arm bar on the player.
c. Placing and keeping a hand on the player.
d. Contacting the player more than once with the same hand or alternating hands.

I used the made-up phrase "reverse hot stove touch" to describe this video play, the first, only, short-lived, and possibly legal touch of a defender by a ball handler.
I am very aware of the term and the rule, but I see no such thing happening in this video. And as Raymond said, I think they need a better example.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 07, 2021, 10:34am
Esteemed Forum Member

Hot Stove Touch To The Waist ...

Quote:
... but I see no such thing happening in this video.
You don't see the ball handler reach out her right hand and touch the defender on the waist (what I commented was incidental contact)? It appears to actually happen twice in very rapid succession (maybe she didn't get burned enough by the hot stove the first time)?

Or do you believe that the second touch made it a hand check foul (as stated by the rule)?

Old Sun Mar 07, 2021, 10:51am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
You don't see the ball handler reach out her right hand and touch the defender on the waist (what I commented was incidental contact)? It appears to actually happen twice in very rapid succession (maybe she didn't get burned enough by the hot stove the first time)?

Or do you believe that the second touch made it a hand check foul (as stated by the rule)?
I do not see what I would call a hot stove touch. I do not even see confirmed contact from this angle. I see a player with their arm out and when the ball handler moves she retreats her arm, which is not my understanding of the hot stove touch. Either they need a better angle or they need a better video. This was not a very good example if you ask me because you cannot see the actual thing they suggest might be an example of those kinds of actions.

I have nothing in this video to tell me definitively there is a foul. And "touching" is not a foul in itself. I never call a foul just because a player touches their opponent. I call a foul when they use their arm you keep their place or contact the ball handler on purpose. If we called fouls every time a player touches someone, we would have a foul on every possession.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 07, 2021, 11:04am
Esteemed Forum Member

Incidental Contact ...

Quote:
I have nothing in this video to tell me definitively there is a foul. And "touching" is not a foul in itself. I never call a foul just because a player touches their opponent. I call a foul when they use their arm you keep their place or contact the ball handler on purpose.
Agree.

Quote:
This is incidental contact. No advantage gained.

Old Sun Mar 07, 2021, 11:42am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
You don't see the ball handler reach out her right hand and touch the defender on the waist (what I commented was incidental contact)?...

You are confusing me. Is this conversation about what the offensive player did or what the defensive player did?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Sun Mar 07, 2021, 11:55am
Esteemed Forum Member

Thought Provoking Question ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Is this conversation about what the offensive player did or what the defensive player did?
It's apparently about what the offensive player did (player control foul, or incidental contact). IAABO also added the thought provoking question, "If defender had done same to dribbler, would a foul be ruled?"

Here's how IAABO introduced the video:
Quote:
Does Dribbler commit a foul on this play? Dribbler contacts defender with right arm twice while dribbling. Is it a foul or is this incidental contact? If defender had done same to dribbler, would a foul be ruled?
I should probably be more clear that these introductory statements are not my words but are always the words of IAABO.

Old Sun Mar 07, 2021, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's apparently about what the offensive player did (player control foul, or incidental contact). IAABO also added the thought provoking question, "If defender had done same to dribbler, would a foul be ruled?"

Here's how IAABO introduced the video:

I should probably be more clear that these introductory statements are not my words but are always the words of IAABO.
IF we believe the words, then it's (by rule) a foul on the defense. I don't think the video matches the rule and I would not rule the video to be a foul no matter who did it.

Taking a rule that applies to the defense and a ball handler/dribbler (I recognize FED doesn't use that term, I don't think) then showing a play where the offense (might) makes some contact is just .... well, thelt's say there are better ways to make a point.