The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 27, 2000, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

I coach at a small high school and had this situation come up the other night.

One of our players drove the basket threw up a shot which barely grazed the backboard. He then caught the rebound and was about to score the layup, when the official under the hoop said the ball hadn't touched the backboard and ruled it traveling. The other official then said it did touch the backboard, but he said they couldn't reverse it since it was a traveling call. Is this call reversable, and if so is it a jump ball or is it possesion of the team that came down with rebound?

Old Thu Jan 27, 2000, 03:05pm

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
Coach,

It is not traveling even if the ball didn't touch the backboard.

After a player shoots the ball there is no longer team nor player control. If you don't have player control, you can't travel.

If the official didn't know this rule, I wouldn't expect him to reverse it. The officials could get together, discuss the play quickly, and reverse the call if they wanted to. This rarely happens, usually on OOB plays. I have personally done this after I screwed up a backcourt call (it was on a throw-in and caught me off-guard and it wasn't backcourt).
Old Thu Jan 27, 2000, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

In either case it should not have been called a travel because the player made a shot attempt or "try". There is no control, team nor player, during a "try", therefore there can be no violation. This is a common mis conception of fans, coaches, and some officials.....catching an airball=travel. Wrong.

As for the reversal. If both officials agreed on the play, the call could have been reversed. The object for the officials is to get the play/call right. Upon reversal, explanation could take place and the ball could be given back to the team that was wrongfully penalized. Not a 'pretty' situation and not a situation you would like to see officials continually be involved with, but right nonetheless.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2000, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

As for the reversal. If both officials agreed on the play, the call could have been reversed.

Actually, if the calling official realizes he kicked the call (possibly after a discussion with his partner), then the calling official can reverse the call and give it to the proper team or go to the AP arrow if neither team had the ball.

I seem to have about one or two non-OOB reversals per season. This season's one was when i called a backcourt violation beacause i looked at the wrong line. I apologized and gave the team the ball back...
Old Thu Jan 27, 2000, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Coach

It is not a traveling violations. As long as it is a shot, the player can recover his own shot, with out being in violations. The officials can overtune the traveling violations. It doesn't happen to often. I have reverse a traveling call simalar to your situation before.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2000, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Reversing calls is always a difficult thing to do. However, if it is in the interest of geting it right - sometimes it is required. It is never, as coaches and fans sometimes ask, an Overrule. If an official is 150% sure that the call got booted, although I can only think of OOB situations where this might happen, he/she should go to their partner and ask if he/she was sure about the call. If the partner is receptive, discuss it and let him or her signal to retain or change.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2000, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

I like that emphasis on, "it's not an overrule." It should be called to the attention of the official who made the alleged mistake, but it is THAT official who should still decide whether to stick with the call or change it. No official should ever tell his partner he was wrong and attempt to take charge of the call. That level of ego has no place in a team/crew that works and communicates well together. But yes, this situation should quickly be discussed if you as the other official recognize the misunderstanding that just occurred, and promptly changed if your partner trusts you.