The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 04, 2021, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Another example of the NBA officials not caring about enforcing rules

Frequently NBA officials turn a blind eye towards violations when there is no defensive pressure or a player isn’t gaining any advantage.
The throw-in by Porzingis in this clip highlighted on ESPN.com is another clear example of illegal action which an official simply ignores.
The entertainment league obviously doesn’t desire for this to be called and have a possession taken away from a team.

Someone else can post a link as I’m not certain how to do that for this particular video.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2021, 10:41pm
Courageous When Prudent

http://espn.com/video/clip?id=30830253
Old Fri Feb 05, 2021, 10:39am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Frequently NBA officials turn a blind eye towards violations when there is no defensive pressure or a player isn’t gaining any advantage.

The throw-in by Porzingis in this clip highlighted on ESPN.com is another clear example of illegal action which an official simply ignores.

The entertainment league obviously doesn’t desire for this to be called and have a possession taken away from a team.

Someone else can post a link as I’m not certain how to do that for this particular video.

I know even in HS varsity games I don't stare at the ball handler when there's no pressure. Those traveling videos embarrass the officials but I could see that happen to me as I'm looking for the next competitive matchup.

Sometimes it's not a big conspiracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Fri Feb 05, 2021, 10:42am
Esteemed Forum Member

NBA Rules ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Are you sure the reasons you cite are correct?
I'd love to see this in slow motion, but is this a violation in the NBA because I'm not 100% certain that it's a violation in NFHS?

It certainly "looks" odd and like it should be a violation, but I believe that he releases the ball before is right foot hits the court inbounds. There is no boundary plane for inbounders (feet, ball, hands, or body) in the NFHS, just defenders.

The running start makes it look odd and the start of the bounce pass looks very much like the start of a dribble, but it isn't.

Just saying, I'd love to see this in slow motion.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Feb 05, 2021 at 02:07pm.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2021, 10:48am
Esteemed Forum Member

No Pressure ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
... even in HS varsity games I don't stare at the ball handler when there's no pressure ... I'm looking for the next competitive matchup.
Agree. In many cases our partner should be looking for those matchups, but it's tough for one to observe eight players over an area possibly two-thirds of the court, or more, and I often take a peek upcourt.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 07, 2021 at 11:13am.
Old Sat Feb 06, 2021, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Related event. I had a team yesterday, down by 20 3rd quarter, lazily not take the ball out of bounds after a field goal (one of those mental errors a team makes when they are frustrated). No defensive pressure. A1 passed to A2 who started to advance the ball. “Tweet”...I called the violation.

A few years ago, or if it’s not a varsity game, I probably let this go on the basis of situation, time, and score. After the game my R (much older) said I should have. But, meh....these days everything is on video (NFHS.net, YouTube, etc.), plus you never know who’s watching, so I made the call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Feb 06, 2021, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Related event. I had a team yesterday, down by 20 3rd quarter,
Plus, it's better to learn this lesson when the team is down by 20 and it doesn't cost them anything than to learn the lesson when they are down by two and it costs them the game (or they blame the ref for costing them the game)
Old Sat Feb 06, 2021, 09:22am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Agree. In many cases our partner should be looking for those matchups, but it's tough for one to observe nine players over an area possibly two-thirds of the court, or more, and I often take a peek upcourt.

I have two partners in every game and I still don't stare at unpressured ball handlers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old Sat Feb 06, 2021, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Related event. I had a team yesterday, down by 20 3rd quarter, lazily not take the ball out of bounds after a field goal
Could you have gotten away with a whistle and a quick "Hey...take the ball OOB!" Without knowing the details of your play, what rule did they violate? If the player was never OOB to pass it in, what violation occurred?
Old Sat Feb 06, 2021, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danvrapp View Post
Could you have gotten away with a whistle and a quick "Hey...take the ball OOB!" Without knowing the details of your play, what rule did they violate? If the player was never OOB to pass it in, what violation occurred?
9.2.2 SITUATION C: A1 scores a basket. After the ball goes through the net, B1
grabs it and makes a move toward the end line as though preparing to make a
throw-in. However, B1 never legally steps out of bounds, both feet remain
inbounds. B1 immediately passes the ball up the court to a fast-breaking teammate, who scores a basket. RULING: Cancel Team B's goal, throw-in violation on B1. The ball was at B1's disposal after the made basket to make a throw-in. B1 must be out of bounds to make a legal throw-in. (7-4-3; 7-5-7)
Old Sat Feb 06, 2021, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
9.2.2 SITUATION C: A1 scores a basket. After the ball goes through the net, B1
grabs it and makes a move toward the end line as though preparing to make a
throw-in. However, B1 never legally steps out of bounds, both feet remain
inbounds. B1 immediately passes the ball up the court to a fast-breaking teammate, who scores a basket. RULING: Cancel Team B's goal, throw-in violation on B1. The ball was at B1's disposal after the made basket to make a throw-in. B1 must be out of bounds to make a legal throw-in. (7-4-3; 7-5-7)

Archive Challenge: There was an interp a while back that clarified the violation occurs at the point Team B begins to advance the ball.

Old Sat Feb 06, 2021, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Another example of the NBA officials not caring about enforcing rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danvrapp View Post
Could you have gotten away with a whistle and a quick "Hey...take the ball OOB!"?

Not in a varsity game.

Old Sat Feb 06, 2021, 01:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Smile, You're On Candid Camera ...

Quote:
... these days everything is on video ...
Regarding every grandmother in the stands now having a video camera in their cell phones, the biggest change for me is the rebounding situation where A1 makes some "over the back" contact with B1 with both players touching the ball before it goes out of bounds, off B1's finger first by a split second.

Back before the proliferation of video cameras I could simply call this play off A1 and give Team B the ball for a throwin. Win, win, win situation. I didn't have any tough decisions to make, Team A head coach was happy because his player avoided a foul, and Team B head coach was happy because his team had the ball. Everybody was in on it, we all had an "understanding", we all knew the secret handshake, and everybody was happy. A wink, a nod, and a smile.

Forty years ago, here in my little corner of Connecticut, this technique was actually taught to rookie officials by highly respected veteran officials.

No more. Now I have to decide if the contact created any advantage/disadvantage, and if not, give the throwin to Team A.

By the book, as it probably should have been called forty years ago.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 06, 2021 at 04:01pm.
Old Sun Feb 07, 2021, 09:28am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Regarding every grandmother in the stands now having a video camera in their cell phones, the biggest change for me is the rebounding situation where A1 makes some "over the back" contact with B1 with both players touching the ball before it goes out of bounds, off B1's finger first by a split second.

Back before the proliferation of video cameras I could simply call this play off A1 and give Team B the ball for a throwin. Win, win, win situation. I didn't have any tough decisions to make, Team A head coach was happy because his player avoided a foul, and Team B head coach was happy because his team had the ball. Everybody was in on it, we all had an "understanding", we all knew the secret handshake, and everybody was happy. A wink, a nod, and a smile.

Forty years ago, here in my little corner of Connecticut, this technique was actually taught to rookie officials by highly respected veteran officials.

No more. Now I have to decide if the contact created any advantage/disadvantage, and if not, give the throwin to Team A.

By the book, as it probably should have been called forty years ago.

It's not every grandma in tne stands, it's that every school is streaming every game in the COVID era. HD cameras, announcers, the whole package.

I can watch almost all of the 32 games I've worked so far this season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old Sun Feb 07, 2021, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I know even in HS varsity games I don't stare at the ball handler when there's no pressure. Those traveling videos embarrass the officials but I could see that happen to me as I'm looking for the next competitive matchup.

Sometimes it's not a big conspiracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That would make sense if there were any other players on that half of the court, but in this case there aren’t any. It is just the official, the inbounder and a teammate in the backcourt. The official isn’t looking at a nearby matchup, he just isn’t paying any attention to the routine, unpressured throw-in.