The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 08, 2021, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

In Search of Jump Stop Case Play

Unless someone tells me I've completely screwed up the interp of the travel rule , I am seeking a case play that shows that if a player ends his dribble with both feet off the floor and then executes a legal jump stop he CAN then take a pivot step. I have two guys wearing me out saying there is no time when a player can step after executing a legal jump stop.

I've pointed out the wording in the rule and the distinction between on the floor and in the air to no avail.

Anyone have a case play that support my understanding (or that shows those guys are correct)? Thanks.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2021, 10:31am
Esteemed Forum Member

Jump Stops ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
... seeking a case play that shows that if a player ends his dribble with both feet off the floor and then executes a legal jump stop he can then take a pivot step ...
There are lots of different kinds of legal jump stops. In some cases one can subsequently pivot, in other cases one can't subsequently pivot.

2002-03 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations Situation 14: A1 catches a pass while in the air, lands on one foot and then jumps off that foot and lands on one foot followed immediately by a step with the other foot. Ruling: Traveling violation. (4-43-2; 9-4)

4-44: Traveling is moving a foot or feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits while holding the ball. The limits on foot movements are as follows:
A player who catches the ball while moving or dribbling may stop and establish a pivot foot as follows:
If both feet are off the floor and the player lands:
Simultaneously on both feet, either foot may be the pivot.
On one foot followed by the other, the first foot to touch is the pivot.
On one foot, the player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both. Neither foot can be a pivot in this case.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Feb 08, 2021 at 10:33am.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2021, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Some people define jumping into the air and while both feet are off the floor either catching a pass or ending a dribble, then subsequently landing with both feet simultaneously as a jump stop. I do not. To me that is merely jumping and then landing. I will note that in this case the player may pivot.

To me a jumpstop is either of the following: catching a pass or ending a dribble with one foot on the floor, jumping off that foot, and landing simultaneously on both feet or catching a pass or ending a dribble with both feet off the floor and then returning to the floor by landing on only one foot, jumping off that foot, and now landing simultaneously on both feet. In both of these cases the player cannot pivot.

So ask your colleagues what exactly they mean by the term jumpstop. For me, a jumpstop involves jumping off of one foot and landing on two feet simultaneously while in possession of the ball. This action would be traveling if not for the “jumpstop” rule, which creates a specific exception for this action. Catching a ball while airborne and then landing on two feet simultaneously happens all the time (rebounding for example) and would not be a travel, so I don’t consider that a real jumpstop. That may be the crux of your miscommunication with your fellow officials.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Mon Feb 08, 2021 at 03:42pm.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2021, 11:33am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Shampoo Algorithm ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Catching a ball while airborne and then landing on two feet simultaneously happens all the time and would not be a travel, so I don’t consider that a real jumpstop ...
Maybe it's not a jumpstop in Nevada, or California, but it is in Connecticut.

I remember doing "jumpstop" drills in high school. Everybody with a ball. Dribble several feet. Go airborne on a whistle. Land simultaneously on both feet. Pick a pivot foot and pivot off that foot a few times within your circle. Dribble again on a whistle, being sure to release the ball before moving your pivot foot. On next whistle pick the opposite foot as your pivot foot after going airborne and landing simultaneously on both feet. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Fifty years later and I can still hear the whistles and the pounding sound of players landing simultaneously on both feet in memories hidden in the deep recesses of my mind.

Of course, back then the basketballs had laces.

When in Rome ...

Box Out, Block Out; Potato, Potahto; Tomato, Tomahto.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Feb 08, 2021 at 12:33pm.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2021, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

I'll add to Nevada's response: NCAA specifically defines jumpstop; FED does not. The rule is the same in all codes, though.

Here's the NCAAM wording:
Section 22. Jump Stop
Art. 1. A jump stop is executed when a player catches the ball while moving or
dribbling with:
a. One foot on the playing court, jumps off that foot and lands simultaneously
on both feet (no pivot foot).
b. Two feet off the playing court, lands on one foot, jumps off that foot and
lands simultaneously on both feet (no pivot foot).
Art. 2. A jump stop may also be executed when the dribbler has one foot on the
playing court, initiates a jump off that foot, ends the dribble with both feet off the
playing court and lands simultaneously on both feet (either foot can be established
as the pivot foot).
Old Mon Feb 08, 2021, 01:43pm
Courageous When Prudent

I guess these folks think you have no pivot foot when you jump in the air to catch a pass and then land.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Feb 08, 2021 at 01:48pm.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2021, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I'll add to Nevada's response: NCAA specifically defines jumpstop; FED does not. The rule is the same in all codes, though.

Section 22. Jump Stop
dribbling with:
playing court, initiates a jump off that foot, ends the dribble with both feet off the
playing court and lands simultaneously on both feet (either foot can be established
as the pivot foot).
And in alternate terms...a jump stop is when a player has the ball on one foot only, with the other foot not yet having touched, and jumps from that one foot to two.

That covers both the catch and land on one as well as the catch while on one.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2021, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I guess these folks think you have no pivot foot when you jump in the air to catch a pass and then land.
Or jump in the air to grab a rebound and land.

Be a lot of walks in their games.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2021, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

Section 22. Jump Stop
dribbling with:
as the pivot foot).
Grrr....after reading this it appears that I may have to alter my thinking and definition two types of jumpstops. I did find over the years that it was simpler to teach only one jumpstop (the off of one and land on two style) as it is unusual footwork and therefore sticks in the mind, plus the relevant restrictions follow naturally and are easily remembered. The relevant restriction is simply that the player cannot pivot after this type of jumpstop, which is natural because that is the trade off for the extra step used in executing the move. I’ve had several officiating students tell me that they had always found the jumpstop confusing, but now it made perfect sense to them after I taught it that manner. Oh well, change with the times! I guess I’ll now teach a type 1 jumpstop and a type 2. Or perhaps a type zero and a type 1 to reflect the number of feet which contact the floor prior to the simultaneous landing.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2021, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

You could also try it as a "coach jumpstop" (because they almost always mean it as option 2 in the NCAA rules) and a "ref jumpstop" or "rule exception jumpstop"