View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 08, 2021, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Some people define jumping into the air and while both feet are off the floor either catching a pass or ending a dribble, then subsequently landing with both feet simultaneously as a jump stop. I do not. To me that is merely jumping and then landing. I will note that in this case the player may pivot.

To me a jumpstop is either of the following: catching a pass or ending a dribble with one foot on the floor, jumping off that foot, and landing simultaneously on both feet or catching a pass or ending a dribble with both feet off the floor and then returning to the floor by landing on only one foot, jumping off that foot, and now landing simultaneously on both feet. In both of these cases the player cannot pivot.

So ask your colleagues what exactly they mean by the term jumpstop. For me, a jumpstop involves jumping off of one foot and landing on two feet simultaneously while in possession of the ball. This action would be traveling if not for the “jumpstop” rule, which creates a specific exception for this action. Catching a ball while airborne and then landing on two feet simultaneously happens all the time (rebounding for example) and would not be a travel, so I don’t consider that a real jumpstop. That may be the crux of your miscommunication with your fellow officials.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Mon Feb 08, 2021 at 03:42pm.