The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 09, 2021, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Lights go out during close play

As a neutral fan, I am very curious as to your opinions on how this was handled. There are two videos embedded in the article

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ftw.usa...t-bad-beat/amp

Last edited by Fan10; Sat Jan 09, 2021 at 11:04am.
Old Sat Jan 09, 2021, 11:05am
Do not give a damn!!

I really do not understand why they did not just stop play. I honestly do not get that at all. This is one of the most critical parts of the game. The officials did not do this themselves. Stop play and put the ball in play where the incident took place and let the result take place. No different than a fan coming onto the court or some other unfortunate stoppage.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 09, 2021, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

I agree (at least in general terms) with the conference statement: (someone else can insert the statement instead of just the link)

https://twitter.com/ByEliLederman/st...475437062?s=20

Last edited by bob jenkins; Sat Jan 09, 2021 at 12:19pm.
Old Sat Jan 09, 2021, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

The conference statement admits a wrong, but offers no remedy.
Old Sat Jan 09, 2021, 12:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Night The Lights Went Out In Louisiana ...

Apologies to Vicki Lawrence (1972).

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 09, 2021, 12:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Unfortunate Stoppage ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Stop play and put the ball in play where the incident took place and let the result take place. No different than a fan coming onto the court or some other unfortunate stoppage.
7.1.2 SITUATION C: A1 is dribbling in Team A’s backcourt when the ball is deflected by B1. The ball gets away and contacts a child who is (a) walking inbounds (on the playing court); The official sounds the whistle. RULING: In (a), the ball is not out of bounds since the person contacted, the child, was inbounds. However, for safety reasons the official should stop play and resume from the point of interruption. Team A, the team last in control, will be awarded a throw-in at a spot nearest to where the ball was located when play was interrupted. (4-36; 7-2-1)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Jan 09, 2021, 01:24pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
I don't know that there is any remedy. Sun Belt officials now know explicitly what they should do in the future. The officials used poor judgment in the situation, but Little Rock was not prevented from still executing a play and getting off a shot.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Sat Jan 09, 2021, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What remedy could they offer?

And this isn't like a situation that many have ever encountered, particularly with 5 seconds left in a game. Yes, they should have handled it differently. But, with 5 seconds on the clock, and an event that was completely unexpected, I don't put much blame on the officials. They had to decide to kill it or not kill it in 1-2 seconds. Once they let it play out, I'm not sure they could go back and replay the 5 seconds.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sat Jan 09, 2021 at 01:30pm.
Old Sat Jan 09, 2021, 02:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Blackout ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
And this isn't like a situation that many have ever encountered, particularly with 5 seconds left in a game ...
I've had lights go out a few times in forty years, but never with five seconds left in the game (or a period).

I hate the gyms with metal halide lights that need to be warmed-up before reaching optimal lighting.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 10, 2021 at 11:44am.
Old Sat Jan 09, 2021, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Once they let it play out, I'm not sure they could go back and replay the 5 seconds.
Why not? FWIW, one tweet said that the two teams were playing again the next night, so it wouldn't be a matter of inconvenience. If the officials on the second night were not the same crew, the expense of another set of game fees? Because ALR got a shot off with the lights on? Because this would be like an upheld protest and the conference doesn't allow protests?

I'm just speculating, and, BTW, I am not blaming the officials, simply responding to the conference's determination that an error had occurred.

Last edited by LRZ; Sat Jan 09, 2021 at 02:55pm.
Old Sat Jan 09, 2021, 02:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Do-Over ...

Quote:
Why not?
Do-overs are seldom legally allowed, and thus, quite rare in high school basketball, they are also probably quite rare in college basketball as well.

Not like when we were kids playing "pitcher's hand" baseball in the sandlot.

Note: "Pitcher's hand" was a rule set that allowed us to play baseball with a lot fewer than eighteen players. Batters could only hit the ball to their pull field, and instead of throwing a ball to first base on a ground ball, the fielders would throw the ball to the pitcher (acting as a first baseman). Lots of do-overs prevented lots of fights, and prevented the kid with the ball, or the bat, or a glove, from quitting and going home.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 10, 2021 at 12:30pm.
Old Sat Jan 09, 2021, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

If a replay would not be "legally allowed," please cite a rule barring a 5-second replay in these highly unusual circumstances.

I am not saying the five seconds should be replayed, but I am not convinced that it could not be done. I'm completely ignorant about NCAA in general and Sun Belt rules in particular; the closest HS rule I can think of is 5-4-3, if the situation would be treated as a protest: "The NFHS Basketball Rules Committee does not recognize protests."

So my question ("why not") remains, not to be argumentative, but to get a reasonable answer. My last contribution to this thread.

Last edited by LRZ; Sat Jan 09, 2021 at 03:17pm.
Old Sat Jan 09, 2021, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If a replay would not be "legally allowed," please cite a rule barring a 5-second replay in these highly unusual circumstances.

I am not saying the five seconds should be replayed, but I am not convinced that it could not be done. I'm completely ignorant about NCAA in general and Sun Belt rules in particular; the closest HS rule I can think of is 5-4-3, if the situation would be treated as a protest: "The NFHS Basketball Rules Committee does not recognize protests."

So my question ("why not") remains, not to be argumentative, but to get a reasonable answer. My last contribution to this thread.
Yes, it "could be" done -- but, it sets a very bad precedent. Hey -- s*** happens -- that's part of sports. Next time, don't be down by 2 points with 5 seconds to play.
Old Sat Jan 09, 2021, 03:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Clocks Operated Properly ...

Quote:
Most legal high school do-overs involve clocks not operating properly, and seconds (usually with a definite knowledge count by the officials), or split seconds, being changed on the game clock. The clock operated properly here. The officials allowed the game to continue and the clock to run.

Like they allowed the game to continue and the clock to run when they missed a travel call or a foul call earlier in the game.

No do-overs allowed in this situation.

If they allowed the do-over, then the other team would be complaining, and probably rightfully so.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 10, 2021 at 02:32pm.
Old Sat Jan 09, 2021, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Please cite a rule that would allow it to be replayed.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith