The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 09, 2021, 03:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

For The Good Of the Cause ...

10.2.4 SITUATION: Immediately following a goal or free throw by Team A, A1 inbounds the ball to A2 and A2 subsequently throws the ball through A’s basket. RULING: The following procedure has been adopted to handle this specific situation if it is recognized before the opponents gain control or before the next throw-in begins: (a) charge Team A with an unsporting technical foul; (b) assess a delay-of-game warning for interfering with the ball after a goal; (c) cancel the field goal; (d) cancel any common foul(s) committed and any non-flagrant foul against A2 in the act of shooting; and (e) put “consumed” time back on the clock. COMMENT: If there is no doubt the throw-in was a result of confusion, the entire procedure would be followed except no unsporting team technical foul would be charged. A team technical would be assessed if the team had received a previous delay warning. This procedure shall not be used in any other throw-in situation in which an official administers the throw-in and a mistake allows the wrong team to inbound the ball. (4-47-3; 7-6-6; 10-1-5d)

5.10.1 SITUATION D: There are six seconds left on the clock in the fourth quarter and the ball is out of bounds in the possession of Team A. The throw-in by A1 touches the official on the court and then goes across the court and out of bounds. The timer permits two seconds to run off the clock. What recourse does the coach of either team have in such situation? RULING: Either coach may step to the scorer’s table and request a 60-second time-out and have the referee come to the table. The coach is permitted to do this under provisions of the coach’s rule. The referee shall come to the sideline and confer with one or both coaches and the timer about the matter; and if the referee has definite knowledge that there were six seconds on the clock when the ball was awarded to Team A for the throw-in, it is the responsibility of the referee to have the two seconds put back on the clock. The timer and scorer and the other official(s) can be used by the -referee to gain definite information. If there is no mistake or if it cannot be rectified, the requesting team will be charged with a 60-second time-out. (5-11-4 Exception b; 5-8-4; 10-5-1c)

5.10.1 SITUATION B: Team A leads by one point when they inbound the ball in their backcourt with 12 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter. A1's throw-in pass is to A2 who dribbles in the backcourt until the horn sounds. The trail official does not make a 10-second ruling because he/she "lost the count." RULING: The game is over. The clock may not be reset as there are no rule provisions to do this. If the count was not accurate or was not made, it cannot be corrected. There is no provision for the correction of an error made in the official's accuracy in counting seconds.

2009-10 SITUATION 11: Team B scores a goal to take the lead by one point. A1 immediately requests and is granted a timeout with three seconds remaining in the fourth quarter. Following the time-out, Team A is awarded the ball for a throw-in from anywhere along the end line. A1 passes the ball to A2, who is also outside the boundary; A2 passes the ball to A1 who is inbounds and running the length of the court. The timer mistakenly starts the clock when A2 touches A1’s pass while standing outside the boundary. An official notices the clock starting on A2’s touch (a), before A2 releases the throw-in pass to A1, (b), while A2’s throw-in pass is in flight to A1, or (c), as soon as A1 catches the throw-in pass. RULING: This is an obvious timing mistake and may be corrected. In (a) and (b), the official shall blow the whistle, stop play and direct the timer to put three seconds on the game clock. Since the throw-in had not ended, play is resumed with a Team A throw-in from anywhere along the end line. In (c), the official may put the correct time on the clock, but must make some allowance for the touching by A1 – likely 10ths of a second, if displayed. The ball is put in play nearest to where it was located when the stoppage occurred to correct the timing mistake. A “do over” is not permitted in (c), since the throw-in had ended. (4-36; 5-10-1)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 09, 2021 at 03:48pm.
Old Sat Jan 09, 2021, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I've had lights go out a few items in forty years, but never with five seconds left in the game.
Yeah, that’s suspicious. It favored the home team. Imagine that.

Officiating controversy notwithstanding, if I’m the Sun Belt Conference, I’m initiating an investigation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Jan 09, 2021, 05:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

God Divided The Light From The Darkness (Genesis 1:4) ...

Quote:
I've had lights go out a few items in forty years, but never with five seconds left in the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Yeah, that’s suspicious. It favored the home team. Imagine that.
It amazes me that we have a large number of schools, especially middle schools, especially Catholic middle schools, here in my little corner of Connecticut, that don't have any type of guards or locks on their gymnasium light switches.

They have light switches like we all have in our living rooms.

Anybody can come along and just turn off the lights.

It's often just somebody leaning on the wrong wall, at the wrong time, in the wrong place.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Jan 09, 2021, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

The reality is that this is a situation that is clearly not covered in the rules. This is precisely what rule 2-3 was created for. Even so, to say there is a single right answer to the situation and to criticize the officials for how they handled it is unfair. There is simply nothing in the rules that says how this should be handled and to expect them to know what the league office might want when they had merely seconds to make a decision when others had hours to consider it is.

I think you could justify just about any ruling within the actual rules. And, the lights didn't go completely out. You could still see the entire time, albeit only with red lights.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2021, 11:41am
Esteemed Forum Member

I Wear My Sunglasses At Night (Corey Hart, 1984) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
And, the lights didn't go completely out. You could still see the entire time, albeit only with red lights.
Cameras are notoriously bad with low lighting. How many times has one used a camera thinking that it was bright enough to take a photo with no flash, when a flash was actually needed?

The first time I worked a game at the Hartford Civic Center (now the XL Center), home of NHL Whalers, University of Connecticut basketball, and home away from home of the NBA Boston Celtics, I was in awe of how (too bright) the court was.

I'm guessing that in real life, it was actually a little brighter on the court than what we've seen on the video replay.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 10, 2021 at 12:31pm.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2021, 04:22pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

I'm guessing that in real life, it was actually a little brighter on the court than what we've seen on the video replay.
The way the players on the court kept on playing as if they could see fine, leads me to think the same.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Sun Jan 10, 2021, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
The way the players on the court kept on playing as if they could see fine, leads me to think the same.
I'm sure it was a distraction, but it wasn't "dark". Who's to say the other team didn't have the offense forced to an area they were happy with and a restart would let them set up a new designed play. Stopping the game and restarting at 5 seconds has as many problems as not stopping it. Either way, this was a bad situation and someone was going to complain.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2021, 07:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sense Of Concentration ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I'm sure it was a distraction ...
Yes it certainly was, but is was only for moment and all players, both offense and defense, seemed to almost immediately regain their sense of concentration, with nobody "giving up" (as we've occasionally observed where free throw rebounders get the wrong instructions (or get confused) from the lead, and for situations like that we have specific casebook interpretations.

Back when we were players (as most of us were at one time), how often did our coaches tell us ignore an "odd time" horn and to play until we heard a whistle.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 11, 2021 at 08:46am.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2021, 11:30am
Esteemed Forum Member

For IAABO Eyes Only …

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan10 View Post
Disclaimer: Below is not a NFHS interpretation, it's only an IAABO International interpretation which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum.

IAABO International Play Commentary
The house lights go down and red lights turn on for a few seconds before the ending of Little Rock's game at Louisiana. After the Trojans' last-second 3-pointer is no good, coach Darrell Walker is livid at the officials.

IAABO International Correct Answer: The officials should have stopped the game and re-administered the play from the point of interruption. This is certainly a challenging play for officials. Officials should be aware; they have the authority to stop the game whenever unusual circumstances present themselves, especially if there is a safety concern. (Rule 5-8-2d) At times, officials may ignore some circumstances (such as an inadvertent horn) and allow play to continue if it has no impact on play. (Casebook 2.11.3). Unusual circumstances often lead to the referee to need to make decisions on any points not specifically covered in the rules. (Rule 2-3) In this situation, because of the time left in the game when the incident occurred, the best course of action would be for officials is to stop play immediately when the lights became an issue. When situations like this occur, officials should be quick to note the time remaining on the clock when play was stopped and identify where the throw-in spot should be when play resumes. In this situation, 5 seconds should be placed on the clock, and play should be resumed on the sideline in front of the scorer's table.

Note: About 80% of IAABO members that commented on the video thought that the officials should have stopped the game and re-administered the play from the point of interruption.

5-8-2-D: Time-out occurs and the clock, if running, must be stopped when an official: Stops play: For any other situations or any emergency.

2.11.3 Situation: When may the scorer signal? Ruling: If the scorer desires to call attention to a player who is illegally in the game, he/she may signal the official when the ball is in control of that player’s team. If it is for a substitution, the scorer may signal when the ball next becomes dead and the clock is stopped. If it is for conferring with an official, he/she may signal when the ball is dead. If the scorer signals while the ball is live, the official should ignore the signal if a scoring play is in progress. Otherwise, the official may stop play to determine the reason for the scorer’s signal.

2-3: The referee must make decisions on any points not specifically covered in the rules.

Personal note: I'm interpreting this to mean that the officials should not have re-administered the play after the game had "ended", but rather they should have whistled to stop the game when the lights went out. Since they didn't do anything at five seconds, it was too late to do anything at zero (horn and light) seconds.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 12, 2021 at 03:31pm.