Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 25, 2020, 07:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Illegal Or Identical ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
This is also a situation where officials need to know the difference in the penalties for a duplicate number (administrative team technical per FED 10-1-2-e) and an illegal number/uniform (direct technical on the head coach per FED 10-6-4).
Good point.

10-1-2-E: A team must not: After the 10-minute time limit specified in Article 1: Have identical numbers on team members and/or players. Penalized when discovered. Head coach does not lose the privilege of the coaching box.

After identical numbers are discovered, and after the team technical foul is charged, I don't believe that the identical numbers are allowed to play, one player must change, or not play.

3.2.2 SITUATION B: Three minutes before the game starts, it is discovered: (b) two Team B team members are wearing the same number. RULING: In (b), a technical foul is charged to Team B upon discovery of the identical numbers. Only one team member may wear a given number; the other must change to a number not already in use before participating. (10-1-2)

10-6-4: The head coach must not permit a team member to participate while wearing an illegal uniform. Penalized when discovered. Only one technical foul is charged regardless of the number of offenders.

I believe that after the head coach is charged with a technical foul and sits down, a player with an illegal number may continue to participate with no further penalty.

Question for old timers. Who are these two guys?

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Dec 25, 2020 at 07:32pm.
Old Fri Dec 25, 2020, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Actually there is. The number must be centered both vertically and horizontally on a player’s jersey according to 3-4-3b.
Therefore, if the 1 in a 13 printed on a shirt is covered with tape, the remaining 3 will not be centered as required by rule.

You or other officials can certainly choose to allow this fix and look the other way, but stating that there isn’t a rule preventing it is untrue.
That rule is for manufacturers. NFHS has made clear that the spirit and intent of the uniform rules is to allow participants to play whenever possible. This is explicitly stated in the Case Book at least once.

You can certainly choose to be a "gotcha" ref and start the game off with a direct T on the head coach. I don't think anyone would be surprised.
Old Sat Dec 26, 2020, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

Question for old timers. Who are these two guys?

Tom & Dick! or Dick & Tom! Van Arsdale!
Old Sat Dec 26, 2020, 12:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

King Of Citations ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
You can certainly choose to be a "gotcha" ref and start the game off with a direct T on the head coach.
I've never met him, nor have I ever observed him officiate a basketball game, but after reading Nevadaref's posts on the Forum for many years, I do not believe him to be a "gotcha" referee in a real live game.

He is, however, the "King of Citations", and I value his rules and casebook knowledge, and would have no problem asking his advice on a written exam.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 26, 2020 at 01:36pm.
Old Sat Dec 26, 2020, 12:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You Are Correct Sir ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed48 View Post
Tom & Dick! or Dick & Tom! Van Arsdale!
Thanks for playing. Pick a prize from the top shelf.

Your choices: Twenty volume set of the Encyclopedia International; a case of Turtle Wax; or a year's supply of Rice-A-Roni, the San Francisco Treat.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 27, 2020 at 10:05am.
Old Sat Dec 26, 2020, 05:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

There are certain schools there is almost no way I am penalizing for this as some have suggested. There are other schools I would be more strict about. Honestly, it is the reason why this even takes place which is ultimately the way I will handle it.

That being said, I would go by the people that you work for as the standard for these things, not go by what just the rule says. Some states like my state has even stated they do not want technical fouls for uniform things and the goal is to view the number. Someone would have to penalize me for not applying the rule here, but I am not going out of my way to show I know the rule. Do what you wish where you live, I know what I am doing and not doing.

Peace