The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 07, 2020, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

How you all doing with the COVID?

I'm sure like me, your schedules have been crazy to keep up with cancels, reschedules etc due to COVID.

I started my HS season on Tues 11/10...the night before, I started having a bit of a cough and didn't think much of it...Worked my Tues 11/10 HS game, worked the following night Weds 11/11 MS game...On Thursday of that week, I left work early feeling terrible (coughing, fatigue, beyond belief)...Went and got tested for flu (negative) and COVID-19 (positive)....

The following Monday, I hear on the news that the HS I was at the previous Tuesday went back on virtual learning from part time virtual/in school because of too many kids with COVID.

So I lost two weeks of my season...about 6 games I had to turn back.

I have honestly felt worse with the flu. I never lost smell or taste, didn't have fever/chills but one night...had a nagging headache and body aches, but the fatigue was outrageous! I was sleeping 16 hours a day for about 6 days straight. Never experienced anything like that. A simple trip from bed to bathroom felt like a ran a marathon.

I got back to work and the gym last week and feeling much better...still dealing with a bit of a nagging cough and I do notice a bit of shortness of breath if we get into some good game flow on the floor....but really glad to be feeling somewhat normal again.

Anyone else test Covid positive? How are you doing now?

Best of luck to all....this is such a strange season.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2020, 03:57pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefsNCoaches View Post
I'm sure like me, your schedules have been crazy to keep up with cancels, reschedules etc due to COVID.

I started my HS season on Tues 11/10...the night before, I started having a bit of a cough and didn't think much of it...Worked my Tues 11/10 HS game, worked the following night Weds 11/11 MS game...On Thursday of that week, I left work early feeling terrible (coughing, fatigue, beyond belief)...Went and got tested for flu (negative) and COVID-19 (positive)....

The following Monday, I hear on the news that the HS I was at the previous Tuesday went back on virtual learning from part time virtual/in school because of too many kids with COVID.

So I lost two weeks of my season...about 6 games I had to turn back.

I have honestly felt worse with the flu. I never lost smell or taste, didn't have fever/chills but one night...had a nagging headache and body aches, but the fatigue was outrageous! I was sleeping 16 hours a day for about 6 days straight. Never experienced anything like that. A simple trip from bed to bathroom felt like a ran a marathon.

I got back to work and the gym last week and feeling much better...still dealing with a bit of a nagging cough and I do notice a bit of shortness of breath if we get into some good game flow on the floor....but really glad to be feeling somewhat normal again.

Anyone else test Covid positive? How are you doing now?

Best of luck to all....this is such a strange season.
It's been over 7 weeks since my wife contracted Covid and she still has not regained her full smell or taste; still well below 50% for both.

I have found during normal workouts I've always done there are times I do get extremely winded and there have been a couple of times that I have actually been fatigued. My wife says my breathing sounds very labored after doing something routine like walking to the kitchen and back.

Neither one of us had a fever during the time we were positive for Covid.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Mon Dec 07, 2020, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
It's been over 7 weeks since my wife contracted Covid and she still has not regained her full smell or taste; still well below 50% for both.

I have found during normal workouts I've always done there are times I do get extremely winded and there have been a couple of times that I have actually been fatigued. My wife says my breathing sounds very labored after doing something routine like walking to the kitchen and back.

Neither one of us had a fever during the time we were positive for Covid.

I feel as if I have recovered fully. Lost my taste for a day. Smell for about 4 days. They seem to be back to 100%. Felt like I had a cold for a couple of days.

My wife was hit harder. Took quite a few days to get better, but she seems to be close to "normal".
Old Mon Dec 07, 2020, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

I've decided to follow the science. I gave my assigner notice this morning that I won't be available to ref this season. It's just too risky. IMO.

Plus, I'll let this "old fart" body rest while continuing to supervise (or as he says - annoying him) my grandson in his 3rd grade studies.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2020, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

FWIW, I came across this today in an on-line article:
It is not yet known how long immunity lasts for recovered patients.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “The protection someone gains from having an infection (called natural immunity) varies depending on the disease, and it varies from person to person.”
“Since this virus is new, we don’t know how long natural immunity might last,” a note on the CDC’s website reads. “Some early evidence — based on some people — seems to suggest that natural immunity may not last very long.”
Old Thu Dec 10, 2020, 10:30am
Esteemed Forum Member

Acquired Artificial Active Immunity ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “The protection someone gains from having an infection (called natural immunity) varies depending on the disease, and it varies from person to person.”
“Since this virus is new, we don’t know how long natural immunity might last,” a note on the CDC’s website reads. “Some early evidence — based on some people — seems to suggest that natural immunity may not last very long.”
How about acquired artificial active immunity, like a vaccine?

How long will that immunity last?

Will we have to get the COVID vaccine every year, like the influenza vaccine?

Or every ten years like the Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis) vaccine?

Or will it be a one and done like the smallpox vaccine that I got when I was a kid (young'uns can look it up on the Google)?

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 10, 2020, 10:32am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
How about acquired artificial active immunity, like a vaccine?

How long will that immunity last?

Will we have to get the COVID vaccine every year, like the influenza vaccine?

Or every ten years like the Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis) vaccine?

Or will it be a one and done like the smallpox vaccine that I got when I was a kid (young'uns can look it up on the Google)?

You can also Google answers to those questions you just asked?

Old Thu Dec 10, 2020, 11:01am
Esteemed Forum Member

Where Are My Car Keys ???

Quote:
You can also Google answers to those questions you just asked?
What? I thought that this was the Google?

They were thought provoking questions that need to be asked now that a COVID vaccine is only weeks, if not days, away.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Dec 10, 2020, 11:29am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
What? I thought that this was the Google?

They were thought provoking questions that need to be asked now that a COVID vaccine is only weeks, if not days, away.
They are good questions. When are you going to do some research and give us some answers?

Google is good for more than just looking up old movies and commercial jingles.

Old Thu Dec 10, 2020, 01:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Time Will Tell ...

Quote:
They are good questions.
Probably with no accurate or reliable answers at this time, but it's still worth thinking about. Most questions right now deal with whether, or not, people will actually get the vaccine (safe, or unsafe (already problems identified in the United Kingdom with some with existing allergies having major life threatening allergic reactions to the vaccine (have your EpiPen at the ready)); needed, or unneeded).

Questions like mine will remind Forum members, some of whom will soon be getting the vaccine, that it's not necessarily "one (or two) and done" for life, and that they need to question the doctor, nurse, or pharmacist who administers the vaccine regarding such.

While I hope the COVID vaccine works like "one and done" Smallpox vaccine, I'd be fine with the COVID vaccine working like the once every ten year Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis vaccine. I'd even settle for it working like the once every year Influenza vaccine.

Anything will be better than hiding in my secret underground COVID bomb shelter and only sneaking out one night a week to hunt and gather food.

I want to finally be able to touch my five month old grandson (who lives only ten minutes away) for the first time.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Dec 10, 2020 at 01:11pm.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2020, 02:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Have COVID, Will Travel ...

Quote:
They are good questions.
And then there's this question that applies to people like Raymond that have already had COVID and survived:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trumps-va...233153128.html

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Dec 10, 2020 at 02:34pm.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2020, 05:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Automatic External Defibrillators At CVS Are In The Candy Aisle ...

Quote:
... already problems identified in the United Kingdom with some with existing allergies having major life threatening allergic reactions to the vaccine (have your EpiPen at the ready).
Our Governor, Ned Lamont, just signed an executive order allowing pharmacists to administer the COVID vaccine. While I don't have any allergies that I'm aware of, I'm not so sure that this is a good idea.

People who have a history of a significant allergic reaction to a vaccine, medicine, or food or who have been advised to carry an adrenaline autoinjector should not receive the Pfizer/BioNtech covid-19 vaccine, the UK’s medicine regulator has said. The Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) is currently investigating two cases of anaphylactoid reactions in NHS staff who received the vaccine on 8 December. Both people—who have recovered—had a history of severe allergic reactions and carried adrenaline auto injectors. The MHRA has told people running sites that administer the vaccine to report any suspected adverse reactions through the yellow card scheme website and to ensure that they have appropriate resuscitation facilities available.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Dec 10, 2020 at 05:41pm.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2020, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed48 View Post
I've decided to follow the science. I gave my assigner notice this morning that I won't be available to ref this season. It's just too risky. IMO.

Plus, I'll let this "old fart" body rest while continuing to supervise (or as he says - annoying him) my grandson in his 3rd grade studies.
Do you plan on coming back in the 21-22 season if COVID-19 is no longer a factor?
Old Fri Dec 11, 2020, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Do you plan on coming back in the 21-22 season if COVID-19 is no longer a factor?
Yes, that's the plan. The season down here had just started among the private schools, and I already miss it. However, it's the right decision for me. I'll live with it.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2020, 10:59am
Esteemed Forum Member

Update ...

Quote:
And then there's this question that applies to people like Raymond that have already had COVID and survived https://www.yahoo.com/news/trumps-va...233153128.html
https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/coron...104500746.html