The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 31, 2020, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Coaching Players

I've been sitting on this topic for a while as I've talked to a few other veteran officials and they have said that while working a game they will talk to players about 3 seconds and get their hands off the BH/D (Ball handler/dribbler). For discussion purposes only do you talk to players about "getting their hands off" and "getting out of the lane". I know each of us has on our own philosophy based on geographical area and other criteria but I still wanted to have a discussion about this.

What is everyone's thought(s)?
Old Fri Jul 31, 2020, 01:13pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBleach85 View Post
I've been sitting on this topic for a while as I've talked to a few other veteran officials and they have said that while working a game they will talk to players about 3 seconds and get their hands off the BH/D (Ball handler/dribbler). For discussion purposes only do you talk to players about "getting their hands off" and "getting out of the lane". I know each of us has on our own philosophy based on geographical area and other criteria but I still wanted to have a discussion about this.

What is everyone's thought(s)?

My phrases are "keep moving" and "straight up."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Fri Jul 31, 2020, 01:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Now Cut That Out (Jack Benny) ...

I will warn, "Out of the lane", "Hands off", and "Watch the boundary" (aggressive throwin defender, additional, "Pane of glass," to a middle school player), but there is a limit to how long I will warn, longer time for lower levels, less time for upper levels.

Occasionally a, "Cut it out", to two post players fighting for position, trying to avoid calling a double foul.

I may warn, "Let it hit", to players behind the free thrower who look like they want to sprint in early for a rebound (like a runner at the starting line of a race).

Knowing that there will be a "deliberate" clock stopping foul at the end of the game, I will often tell the defense to, "Go for the ball", sometimes to the players right as they come out of the huddle after the first timeout warning buzzer.

Middle school early season games, I will instruct players on first free throw of the game, "Rebounders on lane - on the release. Shooter - let it hit. Players behind arc - let it hit", loud enough and deliberate enough so that players on both benches can hear me and see me. Only middle schools, only very early in the season, and only early in the game, not more than once a game (many middle school coaches are unsure of the rule).

Of course, according to proper mechanics, "Designated spot", or, "Run the endline", with proper signals, for all backcourt endlne throwins.

As usual, check your local listings.

For the young'uns:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Aug 01, 2020 at 11:52am.
Old Fri Jul 31, 2020, 02:33pm
Courageous When Prudent

If I need to clean up some physical play away from the ball, I may say something first. But with microphones and video nowadays, I don't talk individual players out of anything during live action. If something happens that I can let go because it has not affected the play, I might quietly mention something to him or her during a dead ball.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Jul 31, 2020 at 02:35pm.
Old Fri Jul 31, 2020, 02:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Nip It In The Bud (Barney Fife) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
If I need to clean up some physical play away from the ball, I may say something ... might quietly mention something to him or her during a dead ball.
Agree. It may even be in regard to some slightly unsporting activity (maybe a slight taunt) that needs to be nipped in the bud. Good time is when one's partner is reporting a foul.

For the young'uns:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Fri Jul 31, 2020, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Here is how I look at this situation. I try not to address any situation as if a player is committing a foul or violation we need to call it. We need to call the game by the rules as written. When we start to "coach" a player it becomes a slippery slope. Coaches don't want their players to be coached by us they want us to enforce the rules and call the game by the rules we are given. When we start telling a player to take their hands off of the ball handler/dribbler or get out of the lane we are acknowledging that they have committed a foul or violation. That is why, in my opinion, it is just easier to call the rules as written; if a player uses illegal contact it's a foul, and a player who commits a violation it's easier to call it then having to talk a player out of a situation. I know there will be some who say that this is "preventing officiating" by talking to players but think about how this affects your game as you might be giving a player another opportunity to commit a foul or violation that we need to call.
Old Fri Jul 31, 2020, 05:20pm
Administrator

1) Three-Second Rule: I say only one word: Move! Move! Move! Of course I have been officiating since 1971 and haven't called Three-Seconds in at least 55 years, !

2) Hand Checking: I say only one word: Hands! And I only say it once! And then I put air in the whistle. Sometimes I don't even say Hands! I just mput air in the whistle.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jul 31, 2020, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

The same coaches who tell us to "let 'em play" and not call "ticky tack" stuff are the same ones who will say "don't coach my guys."
Old Fri Jul 31, 2020, 05:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

What's After Two ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Of course I have been officiating since 1971 and haven't called Three-Seconds in at least 55 years ...
... only because you can't count past two without looking at your fingers.

Old Sat Aug 01, 2020, 10:07am
Esteemed Forum Member

Practice! Practice! Practice! ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBleach85 View Post
I try not to address any situation as if a player is committing a foul or violation we need to call it ...
I see your point. Sometimes the pendulum can swing too far either way (I'm probably one of those guys who swings too much to the talking/warning side).

There are "gray areas". Fouls and violations are sometimes subjective, purpose and intent combined with an official's judgement of advantage/disadvantage. Sometimes officials just want to let players know that we're observant, that we're aware that a foul or a violation almost occurred, or is possibly about to occur, or actually may have occurred, maybe we were unsure, but we're watching for it.

There are also officials, usually inexperienced, who often play "Gotcha".

Post player loses concentration and gets "lost" on the block, with just the back of the heel of his sneaker barely on the lane line, not gaining any advantage, sometimes it's better to warn instead of calling the violation ("Gotcha"), or waiting for the opposing coach to notice and ask for the violation.

Sometimes we just don't need to call something at that particular time, in that particular place, in that particular game, with that particular coach, with that particular player (but we may call the same situation at another time, or in another place, in another game, with another coach, with another player).

How does one know when to call and when to warn?

It only comes with experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The absent-minded maestro was racing up New York’s Seventh Avenue to a rehearsal, when a stranger stopped him.

“Pardon me,” he said, “can you tell me how to get to Carnegie Hall?”

“Yes,” answered the maestro breathlessly.

“Practice! Practice! Practice!”

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Aug 01, 2020 at 12:19pm.
Old Sat Aug 01, 2020, 02:36pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
2) Hand Checking: I say only one word: Hands! And I only say it once! And then I put air in the whistle. Sometimes I don't even say Hands! I just mput air in the whistle.
At one of the pre-season scrimmages I attended, we were told that if we say something to the players during the game, we need to phrase it in a way that doesn't sound like we're coaching them to do or not do something.

Avoid: "No hands!", "Don't push!", etc.
Better: "Hands!", "Easy!" etc.

As always, though, when in Rome YMMV and all that good stuff.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sat Aug 01, 2020, 03:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

I say two things. I say "lane." I never use a number or a jersey color. And I say "hands" even before a player touches anyone. It is not coaching it is letting them know you are watching. Almost never hear anyone complain or even know I say these things when the whistle is in my mouth. Been doing that for years. I have never considered this coaching because I do not tell them what to do, I say it so they hear me. If they do not follow, I call a foul or a violation appropriately.

Peace
Old Sat Aug 01, 2020, 04:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Camping In The Lane ...

Quote:
I will warn, "Out of the lane" ...
Quote:
Post player loses concentration and gets "lost" on the block, with just the back of the heel of his sneaker barely on the lane line, not gaining any advantage, sometimes it's better to warn instead of calling the violation ("Gotcha"), or waiting for the opposing coach to notice and ask for the violation.
This isn't the same as a big, tall player actively moving across the lane, maybe side to side, or up the lane and down the lane, often with both feet in the lane, trying to get open to receive a pass and take advantage of a shorter defender. No warning. Count three in my head, pause to give him a last chance (on his own) to get out, make sure that there's not going to be a shot attempt, just enough of a pause to fill my lungs with some air, still no warning, and then I sound my whistle. It's an obvious advantage not allowed by rule.

I hate it when I've already decided I'm going make the call and in the split second between my decision and my whistle, a coach, or worse, some fans, yell "Three seconds". How do I let them know that I'm not their bitch?

I also hate it when a shot goes up a the split second (as I divert my attention from a possible shooter to the post player in the lane, making sure that he's still there) before I sound my whistle (especially when the shot goes in). I know that it's not the whistle that makes the ball dead, it's the violation, but it's still not a good look.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Aug 01, 2020 at 05:22pm.