View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 31, 2020, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Here is how I look at this situation. I try not to address any situation as if a player is committing a foul or violation we need to call it. We need to call the game by the rules as written. When we start to "coach" a player it becomes a slippery slope. Coaches don't want their players to be coached by us they want us to enforce the rules and call the game by the rules we are given. When we start telling a player to take their hands off of the ball handler/dribbler or get out of the lane we are acknowledging that they have committed a foul or violation. That is why, in my opinion, it is just easier to call the rules as written; if a player uses illegal contact it's a foul, and a player who commits a violation it's easier to call it then having to talk a player out of a situation. I know there will be some who say that this is "preventing officiating" by talking to players but think about how this affects your game as you might be giving a player another opportunity to commit a foul or violation that we need to call.