Thread: Summer League
View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Practice makes PERMANENT

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry C. Morris
My dad always told me, "you practice like you play". I believe that to be true so I enforce everything in the summer the same as I do the winter. If I don't, I am letting the players learn bad habits that they'll use in the winter.
We've likely all heard the the tried statement that "Practice makes perfect." I have a contention with this statement... it doesn't make you perfect if you practice the wrong stuff. (Not that anyone could ever be perfect anyway.)

Not only are you allowing the kids to "permanentize" these wrong antics, you are possibly also making some wrong officiating judgements permanent for yourself. And in a more important contest, with its split second decisions, you may very well pass on a call... just as you did all summer/fall. OOooops. Another bad habit to break.

JMHO, But be cautious with stretching the latitude of the rules; it may effect your own performance during more important games.