Thread: Summer League
View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 03:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb There really is no right or wrong here.

Every situation is different. Because summer leagues are usually a bit more laid back, I do tend to talk to the players and coaches more. I will talk to them a bit more so they understand the game. I will talk them out of silly Technicals and other silly fouls if I can. But I am also there to call what happens. Obviously, summer leagues do not have the same regime as other games during pre-game and halftime activities. But I will tell the players to stay off the rims during warmups and act much more informal during player and coach interactions. But when the game is within the white lines, I call it pretty much the way I would during the season. And if kids/players get ancy I will take longer and be more tolerant of their behavior, but make a point at the same time.

I think also as a factor, what are other officials doing in your area. Now some of what you do is going to be based on what is common in your area. You do not want to be a maverick if everyone around you is doing something else. Now that does not mean that you just blindly follow what the group does, but if you are the only one calling pregame administrative Ts, then you might want to be sure not to go it alone.

Peace