The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 05, 2020, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS One and One Rule Change

When did the NFHS go from Five team fouls to Seven Team fouls to shoot the 1-and-1. I have the Handbook with Rule History so I know when the double bonus came about. Was that the same year. Thank you
Old Sun Apr 05, 2020, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsonj72 View Post
When did the NFHS go from Five team fouls to Seven Team fouls to shoot the 1-and-1. I have the Handbook with Rule History so I know when the double bonus came about. Was that the same year. Thank you

Good question. Early 90s maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Apr 05, 2020, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

It has been on 7 for as long as I have been officiating....since at least 1993.
Old Sun Apr 05, 2020, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I can answer this with absolute certainty (at least for Ohio, and I don't think this was a case of Ohio being allowed an "experimental change"). I was in 7th grade when this change was made. I was sitting on the bench next to the coach when the other team made their 5th foul. I told him we should be shooting and he ignored me. Nobody bothered to tell us lowly 7th graders that they had changed the rule. This would have been November 1990.

A couple years later, they changed it again to the current rule where you shoot two on the 10th foul. But, I can't pinpoint that with as much certainty.
Old Sun Apr 05, 2020, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Good question. Early 90s maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I graduated from High School in 1990 and it was five that year. In 1995 when I started broadcasting that according to the NFHS Handbook was the 1st year of the Double Bonus at 10 as a National Rule So it was sometime between the 1990-91 and 1994-95 season
Old Mon Apr 06, 2020, 10:10am
Esteemed Forum Member

Don't Know Much About History (Sam Cooke, 1960) …

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
And now with Ohio under a Shelter In-place Order, I do not have access to The Attic and any thing I post is based upon my memory for the time being.
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. needs to get himself a hazmat suit pronto and get up to his attic library to help us out with these ancient times basketball rule questions.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Apr 06, 2020 at 04:02pm.
Old Wed Apr 08, 2020, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

I found my answer. I didn't read the handbook close enough. It was in 1991 for the 1991-92 season. So through 1994-95 there was only 1-and-1 after seven team fouls. In 1995-96 the NFHS adopted the double bonus on the 10th team foul where it has remained since.
Old Wed Apr 08, 2020, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Maybe this is the offseason where NFHS gets rid of 1-and-1 and goes to the NCAA-W rule?

Won't hold my breath.
Old Wed Apr 08, 2020, 10:00am
Esteemed Forum Member

Team Fouls ...

Quote:
When did the NFHS go from Five team fouls to Seven Team fouls to shoot the 1-and-1.
Quote:
It was in 1991 for the 1991-92 season.
I believe that it was in the same year that the NFHS also combined personal and technical fouls to determine team fouls for the bonus.

Why is paulsonj72 answering his own questions? Just who does he think he is, BillyMac?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Apr 08, 2020 at 01:58pm.
Old Wed Apr 08, 2020, 10:07am
Esteemed Forum Member

Making A List, Checking It Twice ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Maybe this is the offseason where NFHS gets rid of 1-and-1 and goes to the NCAA-W rule?
Maybe not exactly the same as NCAAW, but there were four questions on the 2020 NFHS Basketball Rules Questionnaire about team fouls in periods (quarters):

About the rules for 2020-21, would you favor:
9. Resetting team fouls to zero at the end of each quarter, eliminating one-and-one situations and awarding two free throws for the fifth and all subsequent team fouls in a quarter.
13. Beginning with a team’s eighth foul in each quarter, awarding two free throws whether or not the first free throw is successful.
14. At the end of each quarter, with the exception of any subsequent overtime period, zeroing out the team foul count.
15. Resetting the fouls after each quarter. Beginning with the sixth team foul, teams would shoot two free throws, and fouls would reset after each quarter to zero.

Old Wed Apr 08, 2020, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Maybe not exactly the same as NCAAW, but there were four questions on the 2020 NFHS Basketball Rules Questionnaire about team fouls in periods (quarters):

About the rules for 2020-21, would you favor:
9. Resetting team fouls to zero at the end of each quarter, eliminating one-and-one situations and awarding two free throws for the fifth and all subsequent team fouls in a quarter.
13. Beginning with a team’s eighth foul in each quarter, awarding two free throws whether or not the first free throw is successful.
14. At the end of each quarter, with the exception of any subsequent overtime period, zeroing out the team foul count.
15. Resetting the fouls after each quarter. Beginning with the sixth team foul, teams would shoot two free throws, and fouls would reset after each quarter to zero.
Not sure why (13) and (15) would even be on the docket other than to be different from NBA and NCAA-W. With shorter quarters than both those levels there is no reason to wait until 6 or 8 fouls to start shooting.
Old Wed Apr 08, 2020, 03:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I'm Just A Bill, Yes, I'm Only A Bill ...

... and I'm sitting here on Capitol Hill.

(Young'uns: Look it up on the Google).

Quote:
Not sure why (13) and (15) would even be on the docket other than to be different from NBA and NCAA-W. With shorter quarters than both those levels there is no reason to wait until 6 or 8 fouls to start shooting.
They're not necessarily on the docket, keep in mind that this was just a questionnaire.

I doubt that many of these ideas will even make it to Rules Committee meeting agenda, with less of a chance of actually becoming a rule change.

Quote:
Won't hold my breath.
Not if you want to stay alive.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Apr 09, 2020 at 10:53am.
Old Wed Apr 08, 2020, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I believe that it was in the same year that the NFHS also combined personal and technical fouls to determine team fouls for the bonus.

Why is paulsonj72 answering his own questions? Just who does he think he is, BillyMac?
Correct sir on combining technical and personal fouls in 1991-92 for the bounus
Old Thu Apr 09, 2020, 05:27am
Esteemed Forum Member

To Sir With Love (Lulu, 1967) ...

Quote:
Correct sir on combining technical and personal fouls in 1991-92 for the bounus