The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 31, 2020, 03:06am
This IS My Social Life

NFHS Courses for Free

The NFHS instructional online basketball officiating courses have been made available for free until July 1. Maybe something to communicate to crews or training groups or assigning pools or to do yourself while sequestered or quarantined or just experiencing the off-season with no other discernible social life.
Scroll down this list of offerings for "Officiating Basketball" and "Officiating Basketball: Crew of Three": https://nfhslearn.com/courses
Old Tue Mar 31, 2020, 07:39am
Do not give a damn!!

What is the benefit of taking these courses for most officials? I do not get any extra advantage for taking this test in any way other than to say I took the test. Do states use this as some kind of certification that others are not using it for?

Peace
Old Tue Mar 31, 2020, 09:36am
Esteemed Forum Member

Freddy's Still Not Dead ...

Thanks for the heads up Freddy.

I love free stuff.

When I was a kid the best part of the cereal was the "free" prize.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Mar 31, 2020, 12:56pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
What is the benefit of taking these courses for most officials? I do not get any extra advantage for taking this test in any way other than to say I took the test. Do states use this as some kind of certification that others are not using it for? Peace
Trainers may appreciate these as resources to keep their officials engaged during the off season. Others might like the opportunity for whatever discussion results from some of the things said or video illustrations offered. Still others may enjoy hearing known concepts from a different perspective. Could it be that the target market for some things posted might go beyond just those on this forum?
Old Tue Mar 31, 2020, 12:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Best Ever Cereal Prize ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
When I was a kid the best part of the cereal was the "free" prize.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Mar 31, 2020, 01:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Could it be that the target market for some things posted might go beyond just those on this forum?
Officiating is "always" local, just like politics. My question was not about what people do on this forum specifically. I was just wondering what happens if you pass this course? That to me is a fair question as most of us are not licensed directly by the National Federation. I am assuming that many people can use this course for some special state classification that they would work under. Or they could be like my states, it serves no benefit other than personal information that you may or may not have heard before.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 31, 2020, 01:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Live, Local, And Late Breaking ...

Quote:
Officiating is "always" local, just like politics ... serves no benefit other than personal information that you may or may not have heard before.

Agree.

I'm going to look at it for curiosity reasons, review, and because I like anything related to officiating. Even with forty years on the court I can always learn something new, or learn a new way to teach something.

Less experienced officials may get more out of it.

In regard to "local", I have to be careful about mechanics because IAABO mechanics (used here in 100% IAABO Connecticut) will be a little different than NFHS mechanics, no problem as long as I realize that going in.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Mar 31, 2020 at 05:39pm.
Old Tue Mar 31, 2020, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Officiating is "always" local, just like politics. My question was not about what people do on this forum specifically. I was just wondering what happens if you pass this course? That to me is a fair question as most of us are not licensed directly by the National Federation. I am assuming that many people can use this course for some special state classification that they would work under. Or they could be like my states, it serves no benefit other than personal information that you may or may not have heard before.

Peace
It isn't about passing the course. It is about having access to the content and making use of what it offers.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2020, 10:30am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
It isn't about passing the course. It is about having access to the content and making use of what it offers.
Well there was a time in my state if you passed this test it could be used as going to a clinic for licensing purposes. I do not believe that is the case anymore. So it did matter if you passed the course, like most training in many industries (mine too). I think I took it once and it was very generic at the time. I might just take it again just to see, but the NF loves to not give much detail. Oh well.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 01, 2020, 10:31am
Esteemed Forum Member

Do As I Say, Not As I Do ...

Quote:
I love free stuff.
I guess that there really is no such thing as a free lunch.

Seems there's always a catch, like "Do as I say, not as I do".

NFHS mechanics: For all free throws, the position of the Lead official should be approximately 4 feet from the nearer lane line and well off the end line.

Stupid NFHS.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Apr 01, 2020 at 10:36am.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2020, 12:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Latin On The Forum ...

I passed the course.

A D- is a passing grade, right?

I'm told that with this bona fide NFHS certificate I can purchase a tall freshly brewed coffee at Starbucks for only $1.85.

The "tall" is the extra large size, right?

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Apr 01, 2020 at 01:50pm.
Old Fri Apr 03, 2020, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

NFHS mechanics: For all free throws, the position of the Lead official should be approximately 4 feet from the nearer lane line and well off the end line.

Stupid NFHS.
Not related to thread, sorry, but...

Was the rule written before they made the lane change that eliminated the bottom spot?

Mechanics should be amended IMO to reflect that L can stand in bottom spot during any FT but last.
Old Fri Apr 03, 2020, 01:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

All Politics Is Local (Tip O'Neill, 1982) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Mechanics should be amended IMO to reflect that L can stand in bottom spot during any FT but last.
In an official NFHS educational video, the videos chosen should match the official NFHS mechanic (for all free throws, the position of the lead official should be approximately four feet from the nearer lane line and well off the end line).

To bucky's point, when in Rome ... Do what's expected in your local area by those who will be evaluating you and assigning you games.

Also, back in ancient times, before we kicked the players out of that first lane space, some officials were still standing on the lane line, not out of bounds where God intended officials to stand.

As a counterpoint to bucky:

Lead, They Didn’t Vacate that Lower Lane Space for You to Stand In

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Apr 03, 2020 at 01:53pm.
Old Tue Apr 07, 2020, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In an official NFHS educational video, the videos chosen should match the official NFHS mechanic (for all free throws, the position of the lead official should be approximately four feet from the nearer lane line and well off the end line).

To bucky's point, when in Rome ... Do what's expected in your local area by those who will be evaluating you and assigning you games.

Also, back in ancient times, before we kicked the players out of that first lane space, some officials were still standing on the lane line, not out of bounds where God intended officials to stand.

As a counterpoint to bucky:

Lead, They Didn’t Vacate that Lower Lane Space for You to Stand In
Not looking to start an argument but...

The tips are nice but I do not feel what they indicate actually happens, at least not to me, and not to officials who have been taught repeatedly where not to look during FTs.

In fact, standing in that first spot negates jawing between players, allows for seeing closer the body language of players, speeds the game in reducing time for official to gather ball, negates the closest players from getting the ball (never understood why players do that) and saves the official a few steps on the knees/hips.

I felt that the first video was merely incidental contact. Players got tangled and feet slipped from under player, nothing more.

Anyway, it is probably better to just do it as written. Sigh.
Old Tue Apr 07, 2020, 12:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Not looking to start an argument but...

The tips are nice but I do not feel what they indicate actually happens, at least not to me, and not to officials who have been taught repeatedly where not to look during FTs.

In fact, standing in that first spot negates jawing between players, allows for seeing closer the body language of players, speeds the game in reducing time for official to gather ball, negates the closest players from getting the ball (never understood why players do that) and saves the official a few steps on the knees/hips.

I felt that the first video was merely incidental contact. Players got tangled and feet slipped from under player, nothing more.

Anyway, it is probably better to just do it as written. Sigh.
So standing next to the player on the low block stops jawing? I guess. But to me, that does not help us in coverage. I do not do it and I do not care what the NF says on this because it serves no purpose.

Peace