The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 21, 2020, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

To eject or not...

Freshman boys playoff game 2nd half home team kid has a break away. V7 catches up and two hand IF in the back. 3 man and both my partners have the call and are on top of it.

Background. Last year 2 friends and fights in their game. Players came off the bench no one had numbers...

Back to the playoff game. Told myself to watch the bench who wouldnt be happy with the IF. I run toward it as 10 bench players jump up and rush toward the court. I am screaming at them STAY BACK over and over. 8 kids come withing inches. 2 kids step 3-6 inches onto the court....

At this point I am 5 feet from the sideline and now they are all backing up and sitting down looking stunned. AC and HC are clueless and sitting.

Eject or not....?

As always love the advice and look forward to your judgements..
Old Sat Feb 22, 2020, 04:20am
Official Forum Member

No. You sufficiently prevented it in my mind.
Old Sat Feb 22, 2020, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Agree with Camron. By the way that is some excellent preventative officiating. Way to be on top of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Feb 22, 2020, 07:59am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
No. You sufficiently prevented it in my mind.
Though confident that what is in Camron's mind is pretty reliable, there seems to have been an NFHS interpretation or casebook situation issued a while ago that said something like, "If the bench players move toward the fight by crossing the boundary line only a couple of feet and then stop and go back, don't penalize that." Can't find it but perhaps another might be able to dig where I haven't thus far.
Anyone?
Old Sat Feb 22, 2020, 10:38am
Esteemed Forum Member

Nevadaref ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
"If the bench players move toward the fight by crossing the boundary line only a couple of feet and then stop and go back, don't penalize that." Can't find it but perhaps another might be able to dig where I haven't thus far.
Searched "fight" in the Annual Interpretations Forum page and in the current NFHS casebook and came up with nothing.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Feb 22, 2020, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Now that that’s settled, it’s time to do what we’re really good at in the forum and change the subject.

Freshman playoffs. That’s a thing?

Old Sat Feb 22, 2020, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Though confident that what is in Camron's mind is pretty reliable, there seems to have been an NFHS interpretation or casebook situation issued a while ago that said something like, "If the bench players move toward the fight by crossing the boundary line only a couple of feet and then stop and go back, don't penalize that." Can't find it but perhaps another might be able to dig where I haven't thus far.
Anyone?
I am not relying on any specific publication that I remember, just my personal feeling towards what happened.
Old Sat Feb 22, 2020, 11:24am
Esteemed Forum Member

Why Not ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I thought the same thing.

I started thinking about the purpose of freshmen basketball, learning, participation, education, skill development, etc., and then I reversed course and decided, "Why not?".

Most freshmen teams try to win their games during the regular season, why not add a playoff game (league, or multiple high school city) for competitive fun and bragging rights?

I was the twelfth best player on a twelve man freshmen team that was undefeated (no playoff). As far as we were concerned we were the regular season champion (no official title, no trophy, no newspaper article). Yeah, we all knew that it was "only" a freshmen team, but we were still proud of our accomplishment, even me, who only scored a handful of points that season.

The middle school team that I coached was often invited to a postseason tournament in another part of the state. Why did we go? Why did the administration allow us to go (entry fee, buses)? New teams. New sites. New challenges. To see how good we actually were outside of our regular season league games. It was exciting. Got players used to "lose and go home, win and keep playing". We did win the tournament once, and for some players it was the only scholastic postseason "championship" of their athletic careers, and some remember it quite fondly to this day.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 22, 2020 at 04:38pm.
Old Sat Feb 22, 2020, 11:49am
Esteemed Forum Member

Intelligently Applied ...

Quote:
You sufficiently prevented it in my mind.
Quote:
I am not relying on any specific publication that I remember, just my personal feeling towards what happened.
....it is important to know the intent and purpose of a rule so that it
may be intelligently applied in each play situation.

Intelligence. Experience. Common sense. It's why we get paid the big bucks.

Old Sat Feb 22, 2020, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Around here there are no state playoffs for Freshman, though a lot of programs will enter one of many season ending tournaments that are available. Same kind of idea, I guess.
Old Sat Feb 22, 2020, 10:45pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
One of the conferences I officiate in has conference playoffs for all three levels of high school basketball (Freshman, JV, and Varsity). On the boy's side, the sub-varsity teams are split into groups of four with both semifinal games played one night and another night where the losing teams play a consolation game and the winning teams play for the championship.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Mon Feb 24, 2020, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for changing the subject and for the advice. Appreciated as always.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2020, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

When in doubt, throw em out!!

Old Tue Feb 25, 2020, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlesAndStripes View Post
When in doubt, throw em out!!
Even shorter:

Let 'em be? No, give a T!
Old Wed Feb 26, 2020, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

With the trend of this thread had an interesting situation last night. Team is whistled for their second PC of the second half (run overs, easy calls). On the second one partner turns to report (He is bench/table side) and the coach flips him off. I was new trail headed down and didn't see it. Old lead new trail saw it and T'd the coach up. Had a discussion of whether this should have been deemed a flagrant act and ejection. Didn't come to a conclusion but thought it was worthy of a discussion, we just went with regular T.

If it matters the information that I got was that it wasn't a subtle bird up against the coaches body, but they also weren't jumping up and down with their hand in the air. A medium arm extension if that means anything.