The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 28, 2020, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
... the throw-in location is irrelevant to any rulings.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
While all good officials know that, ignorant fans are more likely to comment when a throwin comes from the frontcourt endline (deflected or not) than when it comes from the frontcourt sideline (deflected or not)....
Not just fans. This exact situation happened to me last weekend in a JV game. I was T, A has a throw-in from their frontcourt endline, girl passes the ball to A2 in the frontcourt, who tips it and the ball goes into the backcourt. A2 then retrieves and I do nothing. All of a sudden, the L from the endline blows the whistle and calls the backcourt violation. I admit, I wasn't 100% sure but upon conferring I said there was no possession so no violation but L and C were adamant, so we stuck with the call. In the locker room after the game, the varsity officials who were there agreed with them, with one essentially castigating me for not getting it.
Old Tue Jan 28, 2020, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
Not just fans. This exact situation happened to me last weekend in a JV game. I was T, A has a throw-in from their frontcourt endline, girl passes the ball to A2 in the frontcourt, who tips it and the ball goes into the backcourt. A2 then retrieves and I do nothing. All of a sudden, the L from the endline blows the whistle and calls the backcourt violation. I admit, I wasn't 100% sure but upon conferring I said there was no possession so no violation but L and C were adamant, so we stuck with the call. In the locker room after the game, the varsity officials who were there agreed with them, with one essentially castigating me for not getting it.
Wow! Perhaps if your local association has a website where you can post questions you can get the correct answer posted by your interpreter. Or, send the play to D.M. for him to post on his plays of the week.
Old Tue Jan 28, 2020, 05:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Stuffed Or Inflated ???

Quote:
JV game. I was T, A has a throw-in from their frontcourt endline, girl passes the ball to A2 in the frontcourt, who tips it and the ball goes into the backcourt. A2 then retrieves and I do nothing. All of a sudden, the L from the endline blows the whistle and calls the backcourt violation ... upon conferring I said there was no possession so no violation but L and C were adamant, so we stuck with the call. In the locker room after the game, the varsity officials who were there agreed with them ...
So, in essence, five out of six officials at the site, including all three varsity officials, kicked the call.

Wow! Unbelievable.

I wonder if they would have came up with the same interpretation on a sideline frontcourt throwin?

Quote:
... unfortunately there are a few officials out there who don't know if the basketball is stuffed or inflated.
Maybe there truly is a need for the such a location statement on my List of Misunderstood Basketball Rules:

Quote:
During a throwin, even under a team’s own basket, if the throwin is deflected, tipped, or batted, by an offensive player in the frontcourt to an offensive player in the backcourt; ... these are not backcourt violations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
... the throw-in location is irrelevant to any rulings.
Irrelevant? Yes, but probably needed.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jan 29, 2020 at 12:02pm.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2020, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
Wow! Perhaps if your local association has a website where you can post questions you can get the correct answer posted by your interpreter. Or, send the play to D.M. for him to post on his plays of the week.
First part already done, good suggestion on the second
Old Wed Jan 29, 2020, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ouch! That’s more than disappointing.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2020, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

scrounge's example is an interesting scenario in several respects:
(1) Teamwork: the L taking a violation call from the T (this might be debatable);
(2) Judgment: whether the tip constituted possession (refs can disagree and reach different conclusions on this); and
(3) Rule: whether it was indeed a violation if no possession (should be no room for argument).