The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 25, 2020, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

What do you say about unexpected solo work?

Assigner (or perhaps it was the feeder program official) forgets to get enough officials for a handful of games today.

Assigner, 90 minutes before games' start: Can you work a third instead of just two today?

Amesman (who's been sick and doesn't really relish the idea): Sure.

I wind up doing the first game solo because someone didn't show (or the assigner just got caught short). No sweat. Well-behaved 8th grade teams. Biggest kick was catching myself reminding myself with a raised finger in the air that I would have last shot as time wound down in the first quarter.

Assigner (who handles a lot of kid stuff and a key high school conference) shows up to make sure both gyms are covered (both do a game with one official each). Eventually, small talk gets to the funky way this affluent group pays.

Amesman (truly subtly): So, do they do that thing where solo work pays 1.5x of a regular fee?

Assigner: Well, it's actually easier to do it this way (running between the two tops of the key only). (So the implication clearly is "No.")

What do you say next?
Old Sat Jan 25, 2020, 08:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Someone should be on the hook to pay you extra.

The customer shoukd not be that person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Sat Jan 25, 2020, 10:05pm
beware big brother

I am not doing a game one man. Not even for both checks. If anyone does a game one man, they should get both checks.
Old Sat Jan 25, 2020, 10:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
I am not doing a game one man. Not even for both checks. If anyone does a game one man, they should get both checks.

If I contract with an association for officials - 2 a game - and the association fails to provide me two officials - I'm paying for one. If that one official is to get more, that's a conversation between the official and the assigner.

I'm also not working alone, BTW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old Sat Jan 25, 2020, 10:11pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
If I contract with an association for officials - 2 a game - and the association fails to provide me two officials - I'm paying for one. If that one official is to get more, that's a conversation between the official and the assigner.

I'm also not working alone, BTW.

Then you should not be surprised or upset when the one official that did show up decides it isn't worth it to work the game by themselves.
Old Sat Jan 25, 2020, 10:15pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Then you should not be surprised or upset when the one official that did show up decides it isn't worth it to work the game by themselves.

The association, who didn't live up to the agreement, should pay.

Or this should be covered in the agreement the league signs. Maybe 1.5x is the agreed amount.

I was on a varsity game a few years ago where an official didn't show. My partner didn't want me to get a JV official to cover, thinking we'd get more money working 2-person.

Not a chance.

Old Wed Jan 29, 2020, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

A few seasons ago, I recall hearing an assistant athletic director at a local high school saying that it was illegal to "double-pay" a ref for working a game alone. He really appreciated that the ref agreed to work alone for the sake of the kids having a game. The issue had something to do with accounting and traceability of funds, and ethics.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2020, 02:55pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
A few seasons ago, I recall hearing an assistant athletic director at a local high school saying that it was illegal to "double-pay" a ref for working a game alone. He really appreciated that the ref agreed to work alone for the sake of the kids having a game. The issue had something to do with accounting and traceability of funds, and ethics.
Its more about tracing the funds...Districts routinely get audited by the State, and this would be a huge red flag to the auditor. Like Rich said, the Association can pay more to that official, but the Districts aren't going to want to do down that road.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2020, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

About got into this situation last night. Assignor apparently forgot to book a second official for a boy's jv game. Not gonna do it. Especially with my current meniscus issue. If it's a sleepy game everyone knows in advance...maybe.

Luckily I got bailed out by the varsity crew showing up early and on of those was a assignor competing for that leagues upcoming assigning contract. Bit awkward there.