The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 28, 2019, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Bad Partner

What do you guys handle a bad partner.
Reaching into my area with bad calls. Bad foul calls in his.
Coaches moanin at me ... etc etc
I corrected a couple of calls in transition etc
What do you say to a coach questioning a a call that is clearly wrong ?
Old Sat Dec 28, 2019, 09:33pm
beware big brother

How do you go about correcting calls? Are you talking about rules mistakes? Because changing your partner's foul calls isn't really part of the job description.

Simple, coach, you will have to ask my partner what he saw on that play.
Old Sat Dec 28, 2019, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruno View Post

Nothing. And don’t worry, the coach knows who the worse official is when the disparity in quality is that large.

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by this. Overturning foul calls? That’s a slippery slope. I know it’s tempting but 99% of the time you have to let the dude sink or swim on his own. If a halftime talk doesn’t work, let him lie in the bed he makes.

Quote:
”Coach, you can ask him the next time he runs by.”

Other things that come to mind:
1. Don’t whine to the assignor after the game, or ask not to work with him/her again. Guys like these always either improve or filter themselves out with time.
2. Recognize guys like these are rare at the varsity level (which I assume you aspire to) and working in a 3-p crew tends to subdue the few that might manage to fly above their station.
3. If he’s one of those guys who’s conceited enough to give feedback to you, pretend like you care, maybe politely counter on one or two points, try to change the subject (“so, what do you do for a living?”), and then discard the advice like trash to the curb when you leave the gym. If I sound passionate about this, it’s because this just happened to me on Thursday when I had the audacity to accept a MS holiday tourney game, then worked with a poser who didn’t know I’ve been working varsity for eight years. I guess I should be flattered that I still look so young and naďve. Anyway, I digress. This leads me to...
4. You’ll have games like this. A few times every season, actually. It is what it is. Take the high road and trust that evaluators know when “it’s not you.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Dec 29, 2019, 02:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Other things that come to mind:
1. Don’t whine to the assignor after the game, or ask not to work with him/her again. Guys like these always either improve or filter themselves out with time.
I agree with almost everything you said, except this, but only conditionally.

It depends on your place in your organization and what your assignor expects. My assignor expects me (and several others) to give him feedback on my crew members on a regular basis. If I had a partner like this, he's want to know. If I didn't tell him, he would wonder why.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2019, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Didn't change any of his foul calls. But found myself "way" out of my area to get stuff that had to be called. Problem was he was constantly "way" out of his area to call fouls/travels in front of me that weren't fouls/travels etc. The call I changed was a backcourt called by him where I was new lead in transition and had it right in front of me knowing the dribbler didn't remotely have both feet and the ball make frontcourt status. It was his call as trail i know. It was a younger kids travel team game so I probably should have let it go since no one really knows the rule .
Old Sun Dec 29, 2019, 11:26am
Esteemed Forum Member

Communication With Coaches ...

Quote:
Found these on my hard drive. Tried to cherry pick the ones that might apply.

Communication With Coaches

Coach is questioning a partner’s call:
“Coach, we’re not going there, I can’t let you criticize my partner.”
“Coach, he/she had a great look, but if you have a specific question, you’ll have to ask him/her, he/she’ll be over here in just a minute.”

Coach has a good point and might be right.
“You’ve got a good point and might be right about that play.”
“You might be right, that’s one we’ll talk about at halftime/intermission/the next time out.”

Source: Topeka (Kansas) Officials Association
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 29, 2019 at 02:45pm.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2019, 01:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

You always need to ask yourself a question in these situations. "Why am I here?"

That also applies to your partner. "Why are they here?" If you said this was some youth ball, chances are you are both there to just simply cover a game. You will have guys that officiate that do not either care or cannot work other places. So just call your game and get out. I personally would not call any assignor about these games because they are often to just use a body anyway. Do your job, and go home. And if I worked with this guy again, do the same. You know at least what you are going to get.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 29, 2019, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did you have a pre-game with your partner(s) primary areas
How about at halftime ..did you bring up the bad calls you mention to him or them ?
What you deem bad calls may be different then what you partner(s) see
Coaches moaning at you ..simple tell “Head coach” ONLY.. to ask your partner also if a coach is asking”you” about a “BAD”call just Simply walk over to your BAD partner and have HIM go explain the WRONG CALL
I don’t understand why you have to explain all these BAD situations your partner did or had to coaches
May I also add you may be with a newbie OR inexperience offical you didn’t specify to this ..before all the NBA refs come out ..what I mean is newbie or just inconsistent”bad offical “ is what I’d rather use ,it is what it is does leave the bad taste happens to us ALL ! If the offical was new then the more experienced may want to give advise if he isn’t and just head strong Block him and move on you’re obviously asking because it happened and it’s after the fact.
And you know I may be totally wrong and not know diddy
Old Sun Dec 29, 2019, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Can’t save the world. If you’re in a two man game you can expand to call obvious fouls. “Correcting” partner calls leads to folks wanting you to correct everything. At some point you have to let partner sink or swim.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2019, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattReferee View Post
You can pregame til the cows come home, and it still won’t make bad officials good or prevent all screwups.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2019, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Oh spare me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Dec 29, 2019, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
You can pregame til the cows come home, and it still won’t make bad officials good or prevent all screwups.
Screwups or mistakes happen in every sport, but understand where you’re coming from.
pregame is one of the tools used to help out , still not sure what makes a BAD official and who defines and passes that judgement along. Again what do I know
Old Sun Dec 29, 2019, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Can’t save the world. If you’re in a two man game you can expand to call obvious fouls. “Correcting” partner calls leads to folks wanting you to correct everything. At some point you have to let partner sink or swim.
Yup
Old Sun Dec 29, 2019, 06:03pm
Administrator

My advice to anyone, especially young officials, is to officiate as if your partner is the best official in there is. What does that mean? Officiate your Primary; stay true to your Lines; and trust your Partner(s).

Bad officials, especially Ball Watchers, will always be with us. Do not let their calling of the game or their Mechanics change your game. I say this because people who know the correct way to officiate will notice you doing your job the correct way.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Dec 30, 2019, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Screwups or mistakes happen in every sport, but understand where you’re coming from.
pregame is one of the tools used to help out , still not sure what makes a BAD official and who defines and passes that judgement along. Again what do I know
No one is saying you don't know anything.

What I am saying is that people always act as if doing something different in pregame would prevent an issue from happening. You can have a weeklong pregame and it still won't prevent s*it from occurring or make a bad/inexperienced partner a great official. The perfect example is blarges - officials always want to talk about how important it is to pregame double whistles as if doing so will prevent blarges from happening. It won't.