Thread: Bad Partner
View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 28, 2019, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruno View Post
What do you guys handle a bad partner.

Reaching into my area with bad calls. Bad foul calls in his.
Coaches moanin at me ... etc etc
Nothing. And don’t worry, the coach knows who the worse official is when the disparity in quality is that large.

Quote:
I corrected a couple of calls in transition etc
Not sure what you mean by this. Overturning foul calls? That’s a slippery slope. I know it’s tempting but 99% of the time you have to let the dude sink or swim on his own. If a halftime talk doesn’t work, let him lie in the bed he makes.

Quote:
What do you say to a coach questioning a a call that is clearly wrong ?
”Coach, you can ask him the next time he runs by.”

Other things that come to mind:
1. Don’t whine to the assignor after the game, or ask not to work with him/her again. Guys like these always either improve or filter themselves out with time.
2. Recognize guys like these are rare at the varsity level (which I assume you aspire to) and working in a 3-p crew tends to subdue the few that might manage to fly above their station.
3. If he’s one of those guys who’s conceited enough to give feedback to you, pretend like you care, maybe politely counter on one or two points, try to change the subject (“so, what do you do for a living?”), and then discard the advice like trash to the curb when you leave the gym. If I sound passionate about this, it’s because this just happened to me on Thursday when I had the audacity to accept a MS holiday tourney game, then worked with a poser who didn’t know I’ve been working varsity for eight years. I guess I should be flattered that I still look so young and naïve. Anyway, I digress. This leads me to...
4. You’ll have games like this. A few times every season, actually. It is what it is. Take the high road and trust that evaluators know when “it’s not you.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk