The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 23, 2019, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Too Low as Trail and Center

At one of the camps I went to this summer and in my 3-person fall league games, I got feedback that I was going too low in the Trail and Center positions. This often happens when I come into the position from transition and close down, or if I have already stepped down to stay connected to a play, and I close down.

What do you do to ensure the right balance between an aggressive mindset of staying connected to plays and being in a good position (between the 28' mark and the 3-point arc as Trail; within the free-throw circle as Center)? I'm trying to control my strides so I stop at the 28' mark as Trail and at the free-throw line extended as C, but there are times that I overshoot the mark. Are there any suggestions y'all have?

Thank you!
Old Mon Sep 23, 2019, 12:10pm
This IS My Social Life

The NFHS Officials manual prescribes that, "Trail's home position is at or below the top of the three-point arc extended..." Then, he "may move down toward the end line to obtain a better angle on plays..." it seems apparent around here that being too low as Trail and Center or as Trail in 2 person is not the problem. Not remaining connected with the play or not stepping down on drives and shots from the field and being too high and detached it's more of a problem then what you are mentioning. Of course, like everything, this can be overdone. But the good thing is that if it is overdone, that presupposes that it at least is being done.
There is a good article in Referee magazine from earlier this year on this topic entitled "Walk This Way" which has reappeared in the preseason Referee magazine basketball prep publication. Exceptionally well written.
Old Mon Sep 23, 2019, 01:16pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
At one of the camps I went to this summer and in my 3-person fall league games, I got feedback that I was going too low in the Trail and Center positions. This often happens when I come into the position from transition and close down, or if I have already stepped down to stay connected to a play, and I close down.

What do you do to ensure the right balance between an aggressive mindset of staying connected to plays and being in a good position (between the 28' mark and the 3-point arc as Trail; within the free-throw circle as Center)? I'm trying to control my strides so I stop at the 28' mark as Trail and at the free-throw line extended as C, but there are times that I overshoot the mark. Are there any suggestions y'all have?

Thank you!
I bet you weren't too low in the Trail, you just had someone observing who doesn't prescribe to Trails getting underneath the play. In Trail, I'll goes as far as the FTLE to maintain my angle.

I have seen people get too low in the C, but as a hard habit, I step down in the C when I have to make a decision which way to go.
Old Mon Sep 23, 2019, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

There is a strong push at the higher levels for officials to be sideline-oriented in the T position and get out of the old-school habit of going way out on the floor. (Why did that ever become a thing?)

There are, of course, old-timers that push back against this, but the research from the NBA has shown call accuracy is better when we go underneath the play rather than over the top.

Without film there's no way for us to give an opinion on you specifically. My guess is you likely just had an old-school clinician who hasn't kept up with the evolution of officiating.
Old Mon Sep 23, 2019, 01:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Mechanics are for the most part guidelines to get you in the proper position to cover a respective play. Some clinicians have very strong views about certain movements and others do not care. The goal should be to figure out who you are in front of and who you want to impress and do what they like. Otherwise, there is no real right or wrong about this for the most part. Just do what they say when you are on the court, then later go back to what works. At least you can try what they say and realize it does or does not work for you.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 23, 2019, 02:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
There is a strong push at the higher levels for officials to be sideline-oriented in the T position and get out of the old-school habit of going way out on the floor. (Why did that ever become a thing?)
Teams did not use to take as many 3s as they do now. So you were OK in that position, but now we have so many more 3 point shots, you must get underneath to see even the slightest arm contact. At least when I started officiating, most plays went to the post. Those days are over at least for right now.

Quote:
There are, of course, old-timers that push back against this, but the research from the NBA has shown call accuracy is better when we go underneath the play rather than over the top.

Without film there's no way for us to give an opinion on you specifically. My guess is you likely just had an old-school clinician who hasn't kept up with the evolution of officiating.
This is why I often do not subscribe to "mechanics books" as law. I think they are often suggestions and we should adjust to the game that we are officiating and the game that is being played. I am a high school clinician and I taught everyone to go underneath the entire summer and no one said a word to me about what I said. I am certainly not a "new school" guy either, but I am not stubborn about what we should do to get plays rights.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 23, 2019, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I bet you weren't too low in the Trail, you just had someone observing who doesn't prescribe to Trails getting underneath the play. In Trail, I'll goes as far as the FTLE to maintain my angle.

I have seen people get too low in the C, but as a hard habit, I step down in the C when I have to make a decision which way to go.
That makes sense. I like going under more than over, because over often leads to me getting straightlined. I can get contact better from going under. Some HS officials and evaluators don't like me going low, but the college observers didn't care, and neither did the people at Court Club Elite. I had more issues with being stuck at a C position as the Lead in press coverage (probably a 2-man holdover) than with going too low as Lead and Trail, and it looks that I've solved that issue now.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll look to incorporate that into my future games.
Old Tue Sep 24, 2019, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

well I for one can say that "thanks a lot" for making the good effort to 'get under' and not settling out in the "28 foot mark wilderness" when action is going on 15 feet away from you!
Old Wed Sep 25, 2019, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Don't know why the old school method was for Trail and Center to be stationary in 3-person mechanics. Modern college officials do position adjust to see through players, and the younger generation of NBA officials might as well. I don't care where I end up, as long as I get the best possible look at plays in my PCA (or when needed, assisting another official when there are no plays in my PCA).
Old Wed Sep 25, 2019, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

I try to be stationary once I'm in a good position and anticipating that I'll have a decision to make. We miss plays when our eyes are bouncing.

As the saying goes, get to where you need to be to referee the play.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2019, 12:29pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
...in a good position and anticipating that I'll have a decision to make....get to where you need to be to referee the play.
C Anticipates Pass and Gets Beneath It Prior
Old Wed Sep 25, 2019, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Great example! The C is in perfect position to see the gap between the pass receiver and the defender. It is unconventional, and an observer might chew him out if he's one of the old-fashioned guys, but the C is there to see travels or fouls by the on-ball matchup, and is in great position to anticipate the next play as well.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2019, 03:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Follow The Bouncing Ball ...

Quote:
We miss plays when our eyes are bouncing.
Here in my little corner of Connecticut, we instruct our new officials using the same terminology.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Sep 25, 2019, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
The NFHS Officials manual prescribes that, "Trail's home position is at or below the top of the three-point arc extended..." Then, he "may move down toward the end line to obtain a better angle on plays..." it seems apparent around here that being too low as Trail and Center or as Trail in 2 person is not the problem. Not remaining connected with the play or not stepping down on drives and shots from the field and being too high and detached it's more of a problem then what you are mentioning. Of course, like everything, this can be overdone. But the good thing is that if it is overdone, that presupposes that it at least is being done.
There is a good article in Referee magazine from earlier this year on this topic entitled "Walk This Way" which has reappeared in the preseason Referee magazine basketball prep publication. Exceptionally well written.
I read and enjoyed that article. If only everyone subscribed to that approach and used it for training.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2019, 09:03pm
Courageous When Prudent

I am a big big big proponent of sideline oriented Trails. Those who choose to learn with/from me, that's the number one thing I talk about.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk