The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 02, 2019, 01:23pm
This IS My Social Life

Your Opinion Sought: "Strong Side"

Particularly for the 3-person system, what do you consider the best working definition of the term "Strong Side"?
Old Tue Jul 02, 2019, 01:29pm
AremRed

Strong side: “Whichever side of the court has two officials”
Old Tue Jul 02, 2019, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Ideally, strong side and ball side are one in the same. However, as AremRed notes above, strong side has L & T, whereas weak side only has C.
Old Tue Jul 02, 2019, 02:41pm
Courageous When Prudent

THE definition is whichever side has the Lead & Trail.

Often confused with ball-side.
Old Tue Jul 02, 2019, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

I hate it when my Lead stops rotation in the middle of the lane right underneath the basket instead of establishing a "side" to be on
Old Tue Jul 02, 2019, 07:24pm
Administrator

Two-Person or Three-Person: Strong Side is the side of the court on which the Lead is. That has always been the definition of Strong Side.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jul 03, 2019, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
I hate it when my Lead stops rotation in the middle of the lane right underneath the basket instead of establishing a "side" to be on
Is s/he "stopping the rotation" or "pinching the paint?"
Old Wed Jul 03, 2019, 12:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Connecticut ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt S. View Post
Ideally, strong side and ball side are one in the same.
Connecticut is still, for the most part, a two person state. While I’ve observed dozens of three person games, I’ve only worked two actual three person games, attended only one three person workshop, and worked a few three person scrimmages.

Keeping that in mind, here's my two cents.

Until Freddy's recent Forum post, I’ve only heard the term “strong side” as a basketball coach, not as an official. I coached middle school basketball for over twenty-five years and attended many coaching workshops, including those with college coach presenters, and the term “strong side” always meant the side of the court with the ball. The very first time I heard it we were instructed to imagine a string tied to one basket ring and stretched across the length of the court and tied to the other basket ring. If the ball was one side of this string, that was the “strong side”.

As a basketball official (99% two person) I’ve always been taught that the side of the court with the ball was called the “ball side”. The "string" is called the "basket line". In a two person game this was almost always in regard to the lead moving across the lane to help with matchups on the “ball side”.

That’s my Connecticut coaching and officiating (two person) side of story and I’m sticking to it.

I really can't offer anything else of value to Freddy's three person question, other than don't confuse coaching language with officiating language.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jul 03, 2019 at 03:17pm.
Old Thu Jul 04, 2019, 07:10am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

I really can't offer anything else of value to Freddy's three person question, other than don't confuse coaching language with officiating language.

The answer for 3 person is pretty straight forward. Not much to add to what's already been answered by myself and a couple of other posters.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Thu Jul 04, 2019, 09:19am
This IS My Social Life

Thanx to all who offered legitimate responses.

Looks like I'm being won over.

Where oh where did I pick up the concept that Strong Side is the side of the court that, by virtue of the on-ball competitive matchup and player population on Center's side of the floor, prompts Lead to rotate across to put two officials on that side because Center can't officiate all that's there him/herself.

Strong Side = a condition we respond to, rather than a condition we create.

Based on the responses here and elsewhere, it appears I might be wrong.

I just can't track it down where I got that idea from. Any guesses?
Old Fri Jul 05, 2019, 01:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Thanx to all who offered legitimate responses.

Looks like I'm being won over.

Where oh where did I pick up the concept that Strong Side is the side of the court that, by virtue of the on-ball competitive matchup and player population on Center's side of the floor, prompts Lead to rotate across to put two officials on that side because Center can't officiate all that's there him/herself.

Strong Side = a condition we respond to, rather than a condition we create.

Based on the responses here and elsewhere, it appears I might be wrong.

I just can't track it down where I got that idea from. Any guesses?
Actually, I share this opinion.
Old Wed Jul 10, 2019, 08:23am
This IS My Social Life

Thank you for the responses.

In answer to the question, "When should Lead rotate?", I've been accustomed to say, "When it is apparent that Center's side has become strong side." That, by my previous working definition of strong-side ("The side of the court with the on-ball competitive matchup and player population prompting Lead to rotate") always worked so well. But now, if I change to conform to one of the different definitions mentioned above, how shall I answer that question? What simple and succinct answer would you recommend to the question, "When should Lead rotate?"
(Not a trick question. I'm truly interested in changing...)

Last edited by Freddy; Wed Jul 10, 2019 at 09:34am.
Old Wed Jul 10, 2019, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

In answer to the question, "When should Lead rotate?", I've been accustomed to say, "When it is apparent that Center's side is strong side." That, by my working definition of strong-side ("The side of the court with the on-ball competitive matchup and player population prompting Lead to rotate") always worked so well. But now, if I change to conform to one of the different definitions mentioned above, how shall I answer that question? What simple and succinct answer would you recommend to the question, "When should Lead rotate?"
When the rotation will put the crew in a better position
Old Wed Jul 10, 2019, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

In answer to the question, "When should Lead rotate?", I've been accustomed to say, "When it is apparent that Center's side has become strong side." That, by my previous working definition of strong-side ("The side of the court with the on-ball competitive matchup and player population prompting Lead to rotate") always worked so well. But now, if I change to conform to one of the different definitions mentioned above, how shall I answer that question? What simple and succinct answer would you recommend to the question, "When should Lead rotate?"
I would say that waiting until it was "apparent..." was probably a little late. I like to go when I see that situation developing, not once it has already developed.

As for the question, to expand on sdoebler's reply...

When the rotation will put the crew in a better position...to officiate the play that is developing.

For example, when the ball is out top and the PG is moving left to right and the all-star post that the ball always goes to is also moving left to right in order to get a position on the lower box, I go with the post before the ball settles. You want to be there before the ball gets into that post play. Once the ball gets there and it is apparent, you're too late.
Old Wed Jul 10, 2019, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Strong side is ball and L side. Simple.

It doesn't matter if 2-ref or 3-ref. It doesn't matter if 2 bigs are in low post opposite side of the ball. L can still officiate them and, if not due to officiating ball, then C can.