The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 46
Opinion on a rat's "honesty"

Double-A game. Sounds like the umpire kicked the call on a play at the plate that decided the game. The player who was called safe to win the game says "I was out."

Is it just me or does that seem like showing up the umpire? It seems like the classy thing would be for the player to say "it was a bang bang play-- I don't know if I was safe or out" instead of coming out and saying what amounts to "the ump blew it."

Thoughts?

http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/spo...s/14901779.htm
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 49
sounds like the umpire made a terrible call that everybody else knew except him. I don't think it's bad that the player was being honest when he said he was really out. If it were a bang bang play that could have gone either way, then there wouldn't have been so much conflict.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jun 30, 2006, 01:27am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 164
This was an AMLU umpire! There is NO WAY he could have blown a call! They get EVERYTHING right!!!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jun 30, 2006, 02:31am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Lakeside, California
Posts: 6,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxblue
This was an AMLU umpire! There is NO WAY he could have blown a call! They get EVERYTHING right!!!
Wow, not until post # 3, who would have guessed?
__________________
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jun 30, 2006, 02:55am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,646
I always takes something like this to remind me that rats are rats.

A few weeks ago I was working as U1 in a 3-man crew when a batter walked on a full count. When he arrived at first, he and the F3 were having a jolly good time bashing the plate umpire -- the batter didn't like strike 2 and the fielder didn't like ball 4 -- that made the PU "inconsistent."

Since it was a meaningless (to me) adult league game and I'm not above sticking my nose where it doesn't belong, I asked both of them if they were ever happy with the umpiring. They both turned and gave me blank stares and I just laughed at them.

This guy (in the article) deserves about 3 eye-high strikes in a row next time he comes up.

But it does sound like the AMLU guys are having a hard time at a proportion higher than the replacement umpires. Wonder why these articles aren't up on UmpNews or the AMLU site?

Last edited by Rich; Fri Jun 30, 2006 at 02:59am.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jun 30, 2006, 08:07am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
But it does sound like the AMLU guys are having a hard time at a proportion higher than the replacement umpires. Wonder why these articles aren't up on UmpNews or the AMLU site?

Prior to this season these events would have passed unnoticed...but now they reap what they sow.

You cannot bash amd malign in one direction without it coming back in a hurry.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jun 30, 2006, 08:16am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Randolph, NJ
Posts: 1,936
Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxblue
This was an AMLU umpire! There is NO WAY he could have blown a call! They get EVERYTHING right!!!
This stopped being funny after the first hundred times.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jun 30, 2006, 08:23am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: W. Pa
Posts: 216
agreed.... to a point...

I agree that this isnt funny anymore.....but that doesnt make the sentiment any less valid. Maybe we just dont need it pointed out every time.

Stan
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jun 30, 2006, 08:36am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 505
He's safe regardless...

The rat is obviously mistaken, he was safe. There's no reason to see a replay, or explain anything. He's safe because the ump ruled that he was safe.

For example- Bang-bang play at first, I call and signal out. Player throws his hands in the air in disgust, walks to the dugout and passes manager on his way.
Manager says, "C'mon blue, he was safe!"
I respond, "Skip, if he was safe he'd still be standing on first. Look, he's getting a drink in the dugout... he's obviously out."
At this point the manager looks at me with suprise and walks back to the dugout.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jun 30, 2006, 08:49am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
I always takes something like this to remind me that rats are rats.

A few weeks ago I was working as U1 in a 3-man crew when a batter walked on a full count. When he arrived at first, he and the F3 were having a jolly good time bashing the plate umpire -- the batter didn't like strike 2 and the fielder didn't like ball 4 -- that made the PU "inconsistent."

Since it was a meaningless (to me) adult league game and I'm not above sticking my nose where it doesn't belong, I asked both of them if they were ever happy with the umpiring. They both turned and gave me blank stares and I just laughed at them.

This guy (in the article) deserves about 3 eye-high strikes in a row next time he comes up.

But it does sound like the AMLU guys are having a hard time at a proportion higher than the replacement umpires. Wonder why these articles aren't up on UmpNews or the AMLU site?
Coaches are rats in other sports. This story reminds me of a high school basketball game I was doing. I called a pushing foul, a.k.a, "over the back" foul on a rebound on a teams best player (the coach's son, no less). He argues there was a foot between the two players and there was no contact. At halftime I see the two head coach's visiting with each other, and the one coach was pleading his case with the other coach, and the other coach agreed with him! Safe to say, there were no more "over the back" fouls called the rest of the night.

On a side note, I knew both coaches quite well off the court as both of them are baseball umpires. Small world.
__________________
"Not all heroes have time to pose for sculptors...some still have papers to grade."
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jul 01, 2006, 09:24pm
DG DG is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,022
The player needs to go back to "media" school, as he clearly doesn't understand what he is supposed to say.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 05:47am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits
Coaches are rats in other sports. This story reminds me of a high school basketball game I was doing. I called a pushing foul, a.k.a, "over the back" foul on a rebound on a teams best player (the coach's son, no less). He argues there was a foot between the two players and there was no contact. At halftime I see the two head coach's visiting with each other, and the one coach was pleading his case with the other coach, and the other coach agreed with him! Safe to say, there were no more "over the back" fouls called the rest of the night.

On a side note, I knew both coaches quite well off the court as both of them are baseball umpires. Small world.
It is my experience that coaches that are also sports officials are usually rat turds. They come up to you after the game where they were complete *** wipes and tell you "nothing personal." How can you respect these guys when you work with them...I can't!
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,226
Sometimes the players themselves don't get the call right.

Take for example Ben Roethlisberger in the superbowl. He didn't think (at the time) that he got into the endzone when he dove at the goal line- as stated on Letterman the following night. But, after he watched the replay, the tape clearly showed that he was in.

So the players themselves don't always know what the right call is.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Leaving Early" (pitch) to pull up socks Dakota Softball 17 Fri May 26, 2006 12:57pm
Charles Barkley's "brutal NBA refs" comments jeffpea Basketball 16 Thu May 18, 2006 10:02am
Wonderful article - "Love of the Game" jeffpea Basketball 0 Mon May 15, 2006 12:20pm
fouled while "shooting" at wrong basket A Pennsylvania Coach Basketball 15 Sun Apr 30, 2006 01:38pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1