The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 29, 2019, 01:25pm
Ok is the new good

Video Breakdown Presentation

Has anyone been to a camp or association meeting where an excellent presentation on breaking down video was presented? I am looking for someone to do this type of presentation that teaches how to breakdown video and what questions should go thru your mind when doing this!

Thanks!
Old Wed May 29, 2019, 02:43pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Has anyone been to a camp or association meeting where an excellent presentation on breaking down video was presented? I am looking for someone to do this type of presentation that teaches how to breakdown video and what questions should go thru your mind when doing this!

Thanks!
I have never seen anything like that but the first thing anybody should be looking for when breaking down their own video is POSITIONING.

Stay away from play-calling validation.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Wed May 29, 2019, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I have never seen anything like that but the first thing anybody should be looking for when breaking down their own video is POSITIONING.

Stay away from play-calling validation.
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
*May you please explain/clarify what is intended by "play-calling validation"?
Are you meaning what to "call on versus pass on" or the "agreement between peer referees i.e., your partner" during a game, or are you implying the "defensibility" of your calls against a rule-set ?
Old Wed May 29, 2019, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Most camps that I have been have this type of presentation. Raymond stated some of the best starting points. Pick good plays but stay away from call validation. You can evaluate the position of each person on the floor as the play goes through its progression. Additionally, pay attention to the posture and stance of yourself (or others) are they upright? Is the weight on the front of their feet ready to position adjust or weight on the back starting to get stuck. Who got stacked and when? What could have been done within reason to avoid this or anticipate and get into position sooner?
Old Wed May 29, 2019, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
Are you meaning what to "call on versus pass on" or the "agreement between peer referees i.e., your partner" during a game, or are you implying the "defensibility" of your calls against a rule-set ?
Did they get the call right or wrong? Applies to calls and no calls.
Old Wed May 29, 2019, 04:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
I will put it this way, I will go back and look at plays that I had I would like to see or to see if it showed up on video. I do not see a major problem with that initially if you are strapped for time.

But if you are going to really look at your game, you have to look at your positioning, when you made a call or did not make a call, did you give your partner a chance to make a call outside when you make a call in your primary or even did you rotate properly. There are so many things you can do without looking at an actual call. Right or wrong, there are going to be plays that get questioned that you need to see if you got it right or wrong. But if you really are looking to improve overall, look for why you got the call right or wrong as well.

Peace
Old Thu May 30, 2019, 03:35pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Thanks!
Though not in pure presentation form, below are links to two PDF documents that might interest you.

Video Review - Things to Look At and Look For

Video Review - Court Club
Old Thu May 30, 2019, 10:33pm
This IS My Social Life

Text from "Things to Look At and Look For":

CHALLENGE YOURSELF TO EXCELLENCE: SELF-ASSESSMENT QUESTIONS FOR VIDEO REVIEW
VALID, BENEFICIAL VIDEO REVIEW IS . . .
*** MORE THAN just watching the game straight through as if viewing an NBA playoff or NCAA Final Four game
*** MORE THAN just fast forwarding to that block/charge call in the second quarter to show you got it right
*** AIM: Actual improvement through honest self-assessment by breaking down video

Overall Challenge regarding Each Play:
“Was I in the right place at the right time looking at the right thing making the right call or no call and then communicating it in an approved manner?”

Suggestions for Self-Assessment:
Wear out the “pause” and “rewind” buttons — dissect every play and analyze every aspect of each play
“Take a snapshot” frequently to assess crew positioning and what each is looking at
Ask: Was I in the right place at the right time looking at the right thing?
Did I make the right call/no call?
Chart Plays: 1) Call Correct, 2) Call Incorrect, 3) No Call Correct, 4) No Call Incorrect
Why did I miss that call that needed to be made? Why did I get that call incorrect?
Are all my signals and mechanics approved?
Am I letting the play start, develop, and finish before blowing the whistle, especially from lead?
Am I surveilling my primary, or am I ballwatching?
Am I calling the obvious in my PCA? Am I trusting my partner to do so in his?
Whose ballwatching was the cause of that rotation getting messed up?
Is more than one arm up for a three-point attempt? (one indication of ballwatching)
Are my movements purposeful? Or am I wandering for no reason?
Do I position-adjust to “get the slot” on all competitive matchups in my PCA? Or are my feet “in concrete”?
Am I officiating the defender in the competitive matchups in my primary?
Does my T to new L transition keep me in ideal playcalling position as I run?
Do I stay ahead of the play in my C to C transitions? Am I getting to the FT line extended at a sprint with no press?
Is my T-to-C transition “on a string with” L’s rotation?
Am I bailing on shots as T and C, or stepping down to cover rebounding action?
Am I rotating to T too quickly when L comes across, thus bailing on my matchup?
What constructive suggestions do my fellow officials have with whom I’ve studied this video?
In what areas will I challenge myself to change, to improve?
Old Fri May 31, 2019, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Thanks so much Freddys

I have read each and every bullet-point that you cited in your above post; I find them all to be extremely beneficial, instructive, and worthy of aspiring towards. Thanks so much for the time & effort on your part to post these fine bullet points.
(cdfu @ "are my feet in concrete" ).