View Single Post
Old Thu May 30, 2019, 10:33pm
This IS My Social Life

Text from "Things to Look At and Look For":

CHALLENGE YOURSELF TO EXCELLENCE: SELF-ASSESSMENT QUESTIONS FOR VIDEO REVIEW
VALID, BENEFICIAL VIDEO REVIEW IS . . .
*** MORE THAN just watching the game straight through as if viewing an NBA playoff or NCAA Final Four game
*** MORE THAN just fast forwarding to that block/charge call in the second quarter to show you got it right
*** AIM: Actual improvement through honest self-assessment by breaking down video

Overall Challenge regarding Each Play:
“Was I in the right place at the right time looking at the right thing making the right call or no call and then communicating it in an approved manner?”

Suggestions for Self-Assessment:
Wear out the “pause” and “rewind” buttons — dissect every play and analyze every aspect of each play
“Take a snapshot” frequently to assess crew positioning and what each is looking at
Ask: Was I in the right place at the right time looking at the right thing?
Did I make the right call/no call?
Chart Plays: 1) Call Correct, 2) Call Incorrect, 3) No Call Correct, 4) No Call Incorrect
Why did I miss that call that needed to be made? Why did I get that call incorrect?
Are all my signals and mechanics approved?
Am I letting the play start, develop, and finish before blowing the whistle, especially from lead?
Am I surveilling my primary, or am I ballwatching?
Am I calling the obvious in my PCA? Am I trusting my partner to do so in his?
Whose ballwatching was the cause of that rotation getting messed up?
Is more than one arm up for a three-point attempt? (one indication of ballwatching)
Are my movements purposeful? Or am I wandering for no reason?
Do I position-adjust to “get the slot” on all competitive matchups in my PCA? Or are my feet “in concrete”?
Am I officiating the defender in the competitive matchups in my primary?
Does my T to new L transition keep me in ideal playcalling position as I run?
Do I stay ahead of the play in my C to C transitions? Am I getting to the FT line extended at a sprint with no press?
Is my T-to-C transition “on a string with” L’s rotation?
Am I bailing on shots as T and C, or stepping down to cover rebounding action?
Am I rotating to T too quickly when L comes across, thus bailing on my matchup?
What constructive suggestions do my fellow officials have with whom I’ve studied this video?
In what areas will I challenge myself to change, to improve?