The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 07, 2019, 05:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post
I understand both sides of capping guys. I'm not sure I could continue to work as many games knowing that you have no chance of being rewarded with the big games at the end of the season.

I think all of us put up with some really bad basketball at times during the season. You hope for post season rewards to make the season worth it.
Thank you very much.

Quote:
Where I am from the state tourney is a very big deal and what everybody works for. The pay is not great, but the prestige and recognition is a big deal.
The Regional level here is the lowest pay. Some regular season games are higher and some are not. Depends on where you are and the conferences you work that are involved. But at the Sectional level, the pay goes higher than anyone else I know pays and there is a lot of prestige to work those games. I had a partner that did not get a Sectional after multiple Regional Finals, and he was so upset he said that the Regional Final would be his last game. I think he backed off of that claim, but it means a lot to officials. It was even a big deal to me when I did not get my first Sectional Final last year and I had to do some reevaluation myself of what that meant.

BTW, everyone plays in the Regional level no matter what your record is. The Regional Final winners play in the Sectional. We get assigned either a Sectional Final which means two games (semifinal and final) or the Semifinal which means one game. Getting the Sectional Final means you can advance further. The Super-Sectional is one game at a neutral site, usually at a college campus (e.g. Northern Illinois University) across the state for the most part. The winner of the Super Sectional goes to State and plays two games in either Bloomington (girls) or Peoria (boys). To work the State Tournament, you have to work all those levels.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 07, 2019, 05:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Great Debate ...

Quote:
I wouldn't want to earn an opportunity because other guys are capped.
Last year our local board made a major change, officials that were voted into the state tournament by both boys coaches and girls coaches had to choose either boys or girls but not both (as was allowed in the past).

One side argued that if officials worked hard doing both boys and girls games all season long that they deserved to do both genders in the tournament if voted in by both sets of coaches.

The other side argued that this new system allowed more officials to work state tournament games.

This year we started another new local procedure, allowing officials to indicate if they wanted to work only boys regular season games, or only girls regular season games, or both genders.

All these recent changes have led to some officials becoming "girls officials", and others becoming "boys officials".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Mar 07, 2019 at 06:02pm.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2019, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Last year our local board made a major change, officials that were voted into the state tournament by both boys coaches and girls coaches had to choose either boys or girls but not both (as was allowed in the past).

One side argued that if officials worked hard doing both boys and girls games all season long that they deserved to do both genders in the tournament if voted in by both sets of coaches.

The other side argued that this new system allowed more officials to work state tournament games.

This year we started another new local procedure, allowing officials to indicate if they wanted to work only boys regular season games, or only girls regular season games, or both genders.

All these recent changes have led to some officials becoming "girls officials", and others becoming "boys officials".
I 100% agree with NOT letting officials do both a boys and a girls state tourney. This isn't splitting the atom. This is officiating high school basketball. I think we all know A LOT of qualified and deserving officials that could handle big postseason games.

I also believe every state has a small group of officials that think they are gods and are better than everybody else, thus they think they deserve to do both boys and girls tourneys and get every big game in between. Kudos to your area for giving more officials the opportunity.

I also do NOT believe in becoming a "girls official" or a "boys official". I think we all agree that there are a lot of bad girls games out there. Boys too. We have such a big ego that you are only going to do boys games? That has always baffled me as we have guys in our area that will only do boys games. They only want to do boys state tourneys and they usually get their way. It's annoying and I just don't understand the ego involved.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2019, 04:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Gender Wars ...

Quote:
I 100% agree with NOT letting officials do both a boys and a girls state tourney.
We have six local boards (all IAABO) in Connecticut and we were the last local board to restrict tournament officials to only one gender, so now we're on par with the rest of the state.

At the end of last season a few guys won election to our local executive board on a "both genders" platform. Same thing again this year (election's in a few weeks). Depending on the results of the election we may go back to "both genders" for the state tournament next year.

I've been out observing our guys and gals in state tournament games almost every night over the past three weeks. All the officials are excellent, but I must say that the officials who were elected and chose to work the boys tournament are a half a tier better than the officials who were selected and chose to work the girls tournament. Not a big difference, hardly noticeable, but there is a slight difference.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Mar 14, 2019, 04:45am
Official Forum Member

Congrats Rut,
FYI folks the IHSA tournament is available thru the NFHS Network. $9.95 gets you a 30 day pass to watch games from all over our great land.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Thu Mar 14, 2019, 08:38am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
Congrats Rut,
FYI folks the IHSA tournament is available thru the NFHS Network. $9.95 gets you a 30 day pass to watch games from all over our great land.
If you have DirecTV you can get the channel on 665 which is NBC Sports Chicago which will show all the games live. Do not pay for that service if you already have a sports package or some other way to see that channel.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 16, 2019, 09:26am
Do not give a damn!!

Everyone,

I will be working the 4A Final Championship at 7:30 tonight.

Thanks for the support. You have any questions let me know.

Peace