View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 07, 2019, 05:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post
I understand both sides of capping guys. I'm not sure I could continue to work as many games knowing that you have no chance of being rewarded with the big games at the end of the season.

I think all of us put up with some really bad basketball at times during the season. You hope for post season rewards to make the season worth it.
Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post
Where I am from the state tourney is a very big deal and what everybody works for. The pay is not great, but the prestige and recognition is a big deal.
The Regional level here is the lowest pay. Some regular season games are higher and some are not. Depends on where you are and the conferences you work that are involved. But at the Sectional level, the pay goes higher than anyone else I know pays and there is a lot of prestige to work those games. I had a partner that did not get a Sectional after multiple Regional Finals, and he was so upset he said that the Regional Final would be his last game. I think he backed off of that claim, but it means a lot to officials. It was even a big deal to me when I did not get my first Sectional Final last year and I had to do some reevaluation myself of what that meant.

BTW, everyone plays in the Regional level no matter what your record is. The Regional Final winners play in the Sectional. We get assigned either a Sectional Final which means two games (semifinal and final) or the Semifinal which means one game. Getting the Sectional Final means you can advance further. The Super-Sectional is one game at a neutral site, usually at a college campus (e.g. Northern Illinois University) across the state for the most part. The winner of the Super Sectional goes to State and plays two games in either Bloomington (girls) or Peoria (boys). To work the State Tournament, you have to work all those levels.

Peace