The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 18, 2019, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Video Request: NCAAW RA Block

Notre Dame @ NC State, 2/18/19, ESPN2, 0:48 remaining 2nd Quarter.

Block called inside the arc on a secondary defender who had rushed to help on a drive off an offensive rebound following a long 3PT FGA. I'm weak on NCAAW rules so figured this was worth a look/discussion.

Announcer said something to the effect of "I'm not sure the RA matters because it was off a rebound." She seemed to feel this could have been a PCF. My thoughts:

1. Does the existence of a quick rebound and drive matter? I don't think so. There was a primary defender established immediately and she got beat and then a secondary defender got ILGP inside the arc. Seems like a textbook RA block to me. But...

2. Does the rebound and quick drive have anything to do with the call, as the announcer questions?

3. I don't know where the top corner of the LDB is, but is it possible the drive started inside the LDB and therefore the RA should not have been a factor?

Lots to unpack on this play.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2019, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

top of LDB is at the 2nd lane space mark down from the free throw line and 3 feet out each side.

quick rebound and drive does not matter. the offensive player definitely secures the rebound outside of the LDB, so the RA is on.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2019, 01:27pm
beware big brother

I don't know or care about NCAA-W rules, but in NCAA-M rules all defenders are considered primary defenders on an immediate drive to the basket following an offensive rebound.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2019, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

I do care...

...about NCAA-W rules, so here it is:

If a player begins her drive to the basket OUTSIDE the LDB, the RA is ON.

If a player begins her drive to the basket INSIDE the LDB, the RA is OFF.

Without seeing the video, I don't know where the rebound occurred, and if it was one continuous move once she began going towards the basket.

A player could, in theory, begin outside the LDB, hesitate, and continue driving inside the LDB...in that case, the RA would not be in effect.