The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 10, 2019, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

NCAAM - Inbound steal = Primary or secondary defender?

I have seen this play and am curious as to what people think. Try to visualize.

B1 is inbounding the ball to B2 along the endline having to go the length of the court. B2 is about 15 feet from the endline. A2 is about 10 feet from B2 on the far side and B1 cannot see A2. As B1 releases the inbound pass, A2 sneakily runs towards B2, steps around B2, and intercepts the inbounds pass. B1, having seen the interception, steps inbounds, and stands, with feet on ground, in the Restricted Area (RA). A2 takes a dribble and runs over B1.

Is B1 considered to be a primary or secondary defender? What do you think? Is there an NCAAM rule/case play for this situation?

Last edited by bucky; Mon Feb 11, 2019 at 04:33pm. Reason: Added details
Old Sun Feb 10, 2019, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

primary/secondary only have implications in the RA for block/charge only. Also any outnumbered fast break (offense outnumbers defense) all defenders are secondary. finally if a primary defender was never established then the first player to apply defense would be considered primary, excluding the above exception for a fast break.

Hopefully someone provides a citation or two to prove me wrong or right. I'm about 50/50 on the last sentence.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2019, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, I am aware of all the RA stuff. I am mostly looking for a citation for the OP.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2019, 03:17pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
primary/secondary only have implications in the RA for block/charge only. Also any outnumbered fast break (offense outnumbers defense) all defenders are secondary. finally if a primary defender was never established then the first player to apply defense would be considered primary, excluding the above exception for a fast break.

Hopefully someone provides a citation or two to prove me wrong or right. I'm about 50/50 on the last sentence.
Outnumbered fast-break is either offense greater than defense or defense greater than offense.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Mon Feb 11, 2019, 12:16am
beware big brother

This is an outnumbered fast break. Both B1 and B2 are secondary defenders. Neither can establish LGP in the RA.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2019, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
This is an outnumbered fast break. Both B1 and B2 are secondary defenders. Neither can establish LGP in the RA.
I don't know how you came to this conclusion from the AP? Can't tell if its outnumbered and/or the defender was in the RA.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2019, 01:14pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I don't know how you came to this conclusion from the AP? Can't tell if its outnumbered and/or the defender was in the RA.
He only mentions 3 players, so I am assuming they are the only three players involved. Unless definitions have changed, 3 is an odd number. Also, since he is asking about primary/secondary defenders, the logical inference is that the play involves the RA, otherwise, those terms are irrelevant.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2019, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

To avoid a rabbit hole regarding the RA, I have added details to the OP. Not sure I would call this a fast break nor do I feel that this is an outnumbering situation. Once A2 gets the ball, there is no immediate defender between A2 and the basket. B1 steps inbounds and becomes a defender. Does B1 become a primary or secondary defender?
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Lets say only A2 and B1 are involved and all other players are "behind" them on the other half of the court. What do you have?

If a primary defender has not been established how can you have a secondary defender? The only way is an uneven fast break.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 09:01am
Courageous When Prudent

Rule 4 Section 36. Secondary Defender

Art. 1. A secondary defender is a teammate who has helped a primary defender after that player has been beaten by an opponent because he failed to establish or maintain a guarding position. A defensive player is beaten when the offensive player’s head and shoulders get past the defender.
Art. 2. A secondary defender is a teammate who double teams a low post player.
Art. 3. After an offensive rebound, there are no secondary defenders when the rebounder makes an immediate move to the basket.
Art. 4. In an outnumbering fast-break situation, any defensive player(s) initially shall be a secondary defender. This designation as a secondary defender shall not prevent the defender from establishing legal guarding position on an offensive player and defending that player all the way to the basket including in the Restricted Area Arc.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 09:04am
Courageous When Prudent

There are no case plays that address the OP's scenario. Therefore, we have to go with the rule book definitions of a secondary defender. Does the defender in this situation meet any of the definitions from Rule 4-36?
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

This is one problem with the forum, non one will just answer a simple question. They usually just provide more questions and in most cases, an answer can be garnered, but not in this case. That is why I asked for an opinion (when I said "what do you think?)

I am familiar with the rules and feel that this play may not have a specific rule to apply to it.

"Lets say only A2 and B1 are involved and all other players are "behind" them on the other half of the court. What do you have?" - In this case (not mine) I presume that B1 is inbounds and even able to guard A2. I would call him a primary defender when A2 gets the ball. But your question is not my case.

If a primary defender has not been established how can you have a secondary defender? The only way is an uneven fast break. - Maybe you can't, however you are not answering the question. Maybe another question regards when and how a primary defender is defined. Can a primary defender ever be out of bounds? In this play are there neither primary nor secondary defenders? Is that ever possible once an offense has been established?

In the OP, what would you rule and why? If you think B1 is a primary defender in the RA, then you have an offensive foul. If you think B1 is a secondary defender in the RA, then you have a defensive foul. If you think that B1 is neither a primary nor a secondary defender, then you have found a loophole in the rules regarding the RA......and you would have to make some sort of call based on something. I guess you could no-call it but that will anger more people than not.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 02:36pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
This is one problem with the forum, non one will just answer a simple question.....
So you want someone to make up a case play to satisfy your question?

One poster has said secondary defender rules apply and one poster says secondary defender rules don't apply.

Unless somewhere here has direct access to JD Collins or Art Hyland, all you're going to get are opinions. I don't think an answer is going to magically fall out of the sky. You are only going to get variations of this: If you think B1 is a primary defender in the RA, then you have an offensive foul. If you think B1 is a secondary defender in the RA, then you have a defensive foul. If you think that B1 is neither a primary nor a secondary defender, then you have found a loophole in the rules regarding the RA......and you would have to make some sort of call based on something.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Feb 12, 2019 at 02:39pm.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
This is one problem with the forum...
I thought the answer revealed itself when you look at the definitions. I was wrong in the assumption that outnumbered only applied to more offense but the premise is the same.

I would say this defender is the primary defender with the assumption that it was just these 2 players on offense. Otherwise he *could* be secondary, but depends on some facts not presented.

You could have also provided what you *thought* it was.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2019, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Surely there "must" be interps / videos / comments at a clinic when the rule was first put in place ... that deal with a fast break that turns into one offense and one defense.

I'd apply that ruling.