The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Mechanics Creep (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104354-mechanics-creep.html)

Raymond Fri May 03, 2019 02:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1032633)
This is another signal that I wanted added to the IAABO Mechanics Manual Signal Chart:

https://live.staticflickr.com/7682/1...ba697fe8_m.jpg

Again, I was told that although some on the four person IAABO International Co-Coordinators of Interpreters liked the idea, it was ultimately not approved, mainly because it was not an approved NFHS signal, and they wanted NFHS and IAABO signals to be as similar as possible.

We've been using this "Connecticut Only" (Connecticut is 100% IAABO) signal for almost thirty years, pointing to the floor for two point field goal attempt when shooter has a foot touching three point line. Sure we could just not give the three point attempt signal (as we do for attempts that aren't close to the three point line), but this extra signal seems helpful to scorekeepers, coaches, and fans.

Been using that signal since day one as an official.

BillyMac Fri May 03, 2019 02:37pm

Personal Use ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1032634)

Personal, or local association, or state association signal?

Raymond Fri May 03, 2019 02:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1032635)
Personal, or local association, or state association signal?

Common sense communication.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BillyMac Fri May 03, 2019 02:58pm

Common Sense ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1032636)
Common sense communication.

I certainly agree that the signal is a good common sense communication tool, which is why I tried to get IAABO International to adopt it officially.

Is this signal taught to your new officials? Is is universally used (accepted) locally, and/or statewide?

I believe that you are an NCAA official, do you use this common sense communication signal in your college games (I don't believe it's a college signal, but I may be wrong, being extremely ignorant in matters of college mechanics)?

Raymond Fri May 03, 2019 03:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1032637)
Is this signal taught to your new officials? Is is universally used (accepted) locally, and/or statewide?

I believe that you are an NCAA official, do you use this common sense communication signal in your college games (I don't believe it's a college signal, but I may be wrong, being ignorant of college mechanics matters)?

The person who got me involved in officiating was a college official, and additionally he was a military man like myself. Common Sense communications is what he taught me. I didn't care or seek out whether or not it was approved by others There were some who made comments about it, including one of my first mentors who is now a D1/D2 women's supervisor of officials. I have found that NCAA Men's officials are far less rigid than NCAA Women's officials about unauthorized signals.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bucky Fri May 03, 2019 03:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1032634)

+1 however I do not necessarily hold it for a great amount of time, maybe about a second. I just point, and in some cases, ever so slightly, bend/lean towards the location.

BillyMac Fri May 03, 2019 03:53pm

Teach It To Our Young'uns ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1032638)
The person who got me involved in officiating was a college official, and additionally he was a military man like myself. Common Sense communications is what he taught me. I didn't care or seek out whether or not it was approved by others There were some who made comments about it, including one of my first mentors who is now a D1/D2 women's supervisor of officials. I have found that NCAA Men's officials are far less rigid than NCAA Women's officials about unauthorized signals.

Who can quibble about good communication, but I'm curious about how universally used (accepted) the signal is for high school games in your local area and/or state?

Every official in Connecticut uses it, we teach it to our young'uns.

I'm disappointed that IAABO International didn't approve of our state "approved" signal.

BillyMac Fri May 03, 2019 03:55pm

Universal ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1032639)
+1

Same questions for bucky:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1032640)
I'm curious about how universally used (accepted) the signal is for high school games in your local area and/or state?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1032637)
Is this signal taught to your new officials?

Why doesn't this signal catch on more universally on the high school level, i.e. NFHS, IAABO, etc.?

Am I missing any negatives about the signal? It seems helpful to scorekeepers, coaches, and fans.

Rich Fri May 03, 2019 04:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1032641)
Same questions for bucky:

Why doesn't this signal catch on more universally on the high school level, i.e. NFHS, IAABO, etc.)?

Am I missing any negatives about the signal? It seems helpful to scorekeepers, coaches, and fans.

I wasn't aware there were people NOT usimg this signal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BillyMac Fri May 03, 2019 05:30pm

Busy Signal ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1032642)
I wasn't aware there were people NOT usimg this signal.

Then again, why doesn't this signal catch on more universally as "approved" or "official" or "accepted" on the high school level, i.e. NFHS, IAABO, etc.? And again, am I missing any negatives about the signal? It seems helpful to scorekeepers, coaches, and fans.

BillyMac Fri May 03, 2019 05:51pm

Hot Potato ...

I just checked online. While the Excessive Contact Intentional Foul signal is an official NCAA signal, the No Three Point Attempt Signal doesn't appear to be an official NCAA signal.

What does IAABO, the NFHS, and the NCAA have against this No Three Point Attempt communication (information) signal?

ilyazhito Fri May 03, 2019 10:20pm

I have no idea. I also use this signal on shots that are close to being 3-pointers, but are not, and I have been the butt of jokes about my adherence to approved mechanics. I think that it is a good and informative signal, just like the "not closely guarded" signal, and can alleviate confusion in situations that look like a 3-pointer is taken, but where there is actually no 3-point shot.

JRutledge Fri May 03, 2019 10:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1032632)
I'd be happy to see FED add more "approved" signals if for no other reason than to shut up the blowhards that whine about "unapproved" signals.

I do find it funny that people always talk about wanting the signals that college has. I don't think men's NCAA has many, if any, more "approved" signals than high school. I think people just don't lose as much sleep about it at that level.

At the end of the day, if states see it as a big enough problem, they will make a change on their own or just not care.

Actually, I found about 17 different signals that the NF did not have like "Cylinder fouls" or "Chucking." Now, this is splitting hairs as some of these are just based on some different rules that do not take place at the NF level like shot clock signals for either violation or resetting the clock to 20 seconds for a FC foul.

I do think people spend too much time worrying about what the other levels do and do not realize that what they do is more advanced for a reason. We have HS official that cannot do basic things right but they want more signals.

Peace

BillyMac Sat May 04, 2019 06:53am

It's Back ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1032645)
I think that it is a good and informative signal, just like the "not closely guarded" signal, and can alleviate confusion in situations ...

I believe that the Not Closely Guarded signal is an official IAABO International signal. Here in Connecticut we used it for a while (unofficially, Connecticut only signal), then were told not to use it (if one is not counting, there is no closely guarded situation), and then, unannounced, IAABO International made it an official IAABO International signal.

SC Official Sat May 04, 2019 10:23am

My “not closely guarded” signal is my lack of counting.

As for close 2-pointers, most tables can’t comprehend that “no touchdown signal = 2 points.”