The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 06, 2019, 10:11am
Esteemed Forum Member

Still Valid ???

I pulled these off my hard drive. I don't know if they're still valid, all three are several years old.

The National High School Federation and your state association require officials to enforce sportsmanship rules. High school athletics emphasize positive values. All of us have worked hard to create a sense of teamwork, respect, responsibility and perspective. We remind you that we expect good behavior and will quickly penalize misconduct. We encourage and appreciate your help. Let the competition reflect mutual respect among participants and officials. Coaches please certify that your players are legally equipped and uniformed according the NFHS rules. Good luck and have a great contest! (New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, Kentucky High School Athletic Association)

"PIAA requires all registered sports' officials to enforce the sportsmanship rules for coaches and contestants. Actions meant to demean opposing contestants, teams, spectators and officials are not in the highest ideals of interscholastic education and will not be tolerated. Let today's contest reflect mutual respect. Coaches please certify to the contest official(s) that your players are legally equipped and uniformed according to NFHS rules and PIAA adoptions. Good luck in today's contest." (Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association)

To captains: The FHSAA requires officials to enforce all rules regarding unsportsmanlike conduct by players and coaches. Violators will be ejected. It is strongly suggested that you remind your teammates and coaches of this policy. Additionally, this is a simple reminder that jewelry is not allowed, and jerseys must be tucked in during play if they are designed to be worn in. To coaches: Coaches, do you certify that your players are properly equipped and will demonstrate sportsmanlike behavior during today’s contest? (Florida High School Activities Association)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Feb 06, 2019, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Players:
1. Respect Us
2. Respect Each other
3. Respect the Game
Good luck, have fun

Coaches:
Let us know if you want a 30 or 60 so we can let the other coach know
Please respect the coaching box
Good luck, Have fun
Old Wed Feb 06, 2019, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
1: Are your players legally equipped?
-It's here I'll address any uniform issues I wasn't able to get beforehand or just spotted.

2: This may be just Illinois, but we're required now to ask if there's a trainer on site, and if the visiting team hasn't brought their own trainer (they never do), if they're ok with the home trainer treating an injured visiting player (uh DUH!!)

3: Coaches please let us know full or 30 on timeouts and have them ready to play by the second horn

4: Players...good sportsmanship and please help us get the ball if it rolls away

5: Have fun, good luck.

It took me about 6 times as long to type that as it does to say all of it. I don't ask for speaking captains because I won't remember who they are ten seconds after they've left the huddle.
Yes...this.

I do address the players first before my 25 seconds with the coaches...

Pre-amble: Players, play with sportsmanship. Stop playing when a whistle sounds. Hand the ball to an official. Any questions (We never get any)? You can go back to your warmup. Commence 25 second talk with coaches.

Total pre game: < 60 seconds.

Play ball!
Old Wed Feb 06, 2019, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Introduce us by Mr. Last Name
Tell the captains that they may respectfully ask us questions
Tell the captains that we expect good sportsmanship from their team
Ask coaches if their team is legally equipped.

Let them continue to warm up.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2019, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

If you do junior high games, you often find yourselves in quirky gyms. I use the pregame meeting to cover anything weird with the court, such as auxiliary baskets that are hanging on the edges of the court. Or if there is limited (or in some cases, no) room on the sidelines/baselines, telling both teams they will have to provide a little extra room for the inbounder.

Locally, we are phasing out the captain's meetings and instead meeting with the coaches, giving them quick reminders on letting us know what size of time out they want, coaching boxes, breaking the huddle at the first horn, etc. Seems to be helping.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2019, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

While the are differences between the the classroom and sports, they are not totally separate. This is from the NFHS website, so they appear to believe that sports is an extension of the classroom.

"It is understandable that the first responsibility of principals and superintendents is to hire the best possible person for classroom instruction. However, many also agree that the playing field, gym and auditorium are extensions of the classroom. This means a coach’s selection, preparation and continued professional development is equally as important as novice teacher preparation."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
Invariably during the pregame an official will say such things as:

1. "this is an extension of the classroom, so we expect....[blah blah blah]". I never say such a thing as this because the athletic competition is nothing like a classroom where the expectations are different.

2. "who are the speaking captains for your team?". I never say this, I always refer to them as "team representatives". For the simple reason that, I don't know what a "speaking captain" is, and I will never remember the number of said individual player. Also, does the "speaking captain" [if you can remember the jersey numbers of them] have any rights that are above that of the regular players? During a game I will address any player's question--regardless of their status.

3. a coach looking off into space during the pregame conference and/or nodding their heads in a manner to suggest "let's just get on with this game ok".

**One thing I have done/said in pregame is: "don't interfere or toss the ball to me after it has gone thru the net, this is delay of game, and this pregame warning serves as your official warning, it's a T if done in the game". I do this because players and coaches know they can "get away with one infraction" and the Rule for allowing one instance is so abused. I did admin a T during the season and neither coach nor player complained, not even a murmur---all though I did hear a fan yell--don't they get a warning?!
Old Wed Feb 06, 2019, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
While the are differences between the the classroom and sports, they are not totally separate. This is from the NFHS website, so they appear to believe that sports is an extension of the classroom.

"It is understandable that the first responsibility of principals and superintendents is to hire the best possible person for classroom instruction. However, many also agree that the playing field, gym and auditorium are extensions of the classroom. This means a coach’s selection, preparation and continued professional development is equally as important as novice teacher preparation."
Great, that is for the coaches and administrators to adhere to. That statement is as much political theater as it is reality. Sport is sport, at the end of the day.

My expectations of sportsmanship are not based on any sort of "the court is an extension of the classroom" lip service. And I wouldn't be caught dead saying that in a pregame meeting.

To each his own.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2019, 04:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Co-Curricular School Activities ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
My expectations of sportsmanship are not based on any sort of "the court is an extension of the classroom" lip service.
It's not just lip service here in Connecticut. On court, on field, unsporting conduct is not only handled by the on court, on field, officials, and the state interscholastic sports governing body, it's also handled by the school principal, or assistant principal, which in severe cases, can lead to a student athlete being suspended not only from an athletic contest, or a sports team, but also suspended from school, or subject to some other school disciplinary actions outside the realm of athletics.

Same thing can happen to kids on the debate team that violate curfew on overnight trips, or kids in the fishing club that decide to have a few beers on a fishing trip. Or the French club, or the drama club, etc.

These are extracurricular school activities, "extra", but still school activities, paid for out of the Board of Education budget. Some school systems call these co-curricular school activities.

After over thirty years in the classroom here in Connecticut, involved with both sports, and non-sports, school activities, these activities are definitely an extension of the classroom and the school day.

Compare the sportsmanship shown by coaches and players in interscholastic games to the sportsmanship shown by same in recreation, travel, AAU games, etc. Not even close.

Of course the usual caveat, when in Rome ...
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Feb 06, 2019 at 04:37pm.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2019, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It's not just lip service here in Connecticut...
But it still has nothing to do with how I enforce sportsmanship. In the rare event I work "offseason" ball I'm just as, if not more, strict on misbehavior. If a principal/AD doesn't like the way a player or coach is acting, that is not my problem. So that phrase isn't really relevant to me.

Heck, you don't hear that phrase at the college level and on average I think college coaches behave better than high school coaches. At the very least they're more intelligent and know how to pick their spots and interact with officials. And college officials are less hesitant to issue technical fouls than high school officials, in my experience.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2019, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

In my state, we're lucky on two fronts:
1.) We don't have 30-second timeouts
2.) Coaches aren't involved in the captains' meeting

Mine is …
"Mr. X, Mr. Y and Mr. Z. No taunting, no BS, if you have questions during the game, let's talk to each other just like we're talking right now. Any questions (never)? Anything partners want to add (never)? Have fun."

20 seconds max.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2019, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
In my state, we're lucky on two fronts:
1.) We don't have 30-second timeouts
I didn't know this was true in any state at any level. What state are you in? How does the timeout structure work?
Old Thu Feb 07, 2019, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

I don't do the "let us know 30 or 60" thing during pregame. The coaches know all that stuff already, and me reminding them isn't going to all of a sudden make them better about it if they tend to forget.

"Everyone legally equipped? Have a good game."
Old Thu Feb 07, 2019, 10:50am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I don't do the "let us know 30 or 60" thing during pregame. The coaches know all that stuff already, and me reminding them isn't going to all of a sudden make them better about it if they tend to forget.
They'll remember the first time they get charged a full (errr, 60 second) time-out when they only wanted a 30.

I tell my younger charges that instead asking over and over again, just pay attention to what the players do when they get to the bench area. If they sit, charge a full (my bad, 60), if they stay standing, charge a 30. Too many officials are in a rush to report the time-out; let the teams clear each other and use some common sense. It's also why I keep track of what type of time-outs the teams have remaining. Once they've used up their 30's, no need in me asking or wondering.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2019, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

At a recent middle school game, my partner: "Purple line all around."
Old Thu Feb 07, 2019, 11:15am
Esteemed Forum Member

Guardians Of The IAABO Galaxy ... ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
... a full (errr, 60 second) time-out ...
Our interpreter wants us to verbalize, "Sixty", rather than, "Full".

Why? He wants us to be "professional", and "consistent".

He's been on this for several years, well before the 2018-19 Officiating Professionalism And Use Of Proper Terminology NFHS Point of Emphasis.

I think that he got a message from the International IAABO Grand Poobah after our guys were observed in state tournament games.

It's a small thing to ask, so I'm trying, with a lot of success.

He also wants our guys to stop signaling the sixty as a double foul, with fists rather than open hands. No problem for me, I've always done it the correct way.