The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 19, 2010, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

pregame

As a teacher, my off hours duty sometimes requires me to work the lines at varsity volleyball matches. I officiate varsity baseball, football and some college basketball so I know a good pregame is essential. The problem is that during our pregame with the volleyball officials, the music is pumping in the gym and it is difficult to hear. I'm wondering if anyone has a good pregame list that they go over with their linesman that they could post here or post a link for. I've done it before and done fine, but as with anything, if it's worth doing, it's worth doing well. Thanks.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2010, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

I don't remember where I learned it, but I use the acronym SALT for my pregame with line judges:
  1. Signals - I make sure they know the basic in/out signals, along with reminding them that a ball that touches the line is in. I also ask them to get them in the habit of giving me a signal at all times.
  2. Antennas - Reminder that the antenna extends all the way to the ceiling, and that a ball must pass over the net completely within the antennas, otherwise it is out.
  3. Lines - I tell them the lines for which each will be responsible, and remind them that they are allowed to move to get a better view of their two lines.
  4. Touches - Reminder to watch for touches, and instruct them on the difference between making an out call and a touch call.

I will usually add quick reminders on foot faults, who is to hold the ball during time-outs, and for the line judges to not chase after loose balls. If I'm feeling really lucky about my line judges I might also comment on their positioning during time-outs and their positioning for any server who serves from the left third of the service area. I end it by telling them to have fun, and I always look for my line judges after a match to thank them for their help.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2010, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Bob. That is helpful. And just to clarify, the entire boundary line is considered in play as far as scoring? I haven't done it in a while and and working 3 sports sometimes messes up my memory on that one. That is kind of a major question.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2010, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Yes the entire boundary line is considered part of the playing area. The court ends at the outside edge of the boundary line.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2010, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks again. That is very helpful.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2010, 01:44pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
One major piece of advice that I give to all my LJ's: if the ball is headed toward one of your lines, DON'T FOLLOW THE BALL! If you do the line will become 18 inches wide. Look ahead of the ball - see where the ball hits: the court, on the line, or outside the line. If the ball hits you, make sure that you are off the court, otherwise you just gave a team on the opposite side a point.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Tue Oct 19, 2010, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzkriegBob View Post
I don't remember where I learned it, but I use the acronym SALT for my pregame with line judges:
  1. Signals - I make sure they know the basic in/out signals, along with reminding them that a ball that touches the line is in. I also ask them to get them in the habit of giving me a signal at all times.
  2. Antennas - Reminder that the antenna extends all the way to the ceiling, and that a ball must pass over the net completely within the antennas, otherwise it is out.
  3. Lines - I tell them the lines for which each will be responsible, and remind them that they are allowed to move to get a better view of their two lines.
  4. Touches - Reminder to watch for touches, and instruct them on the difference between making an out call and a touch call.

I will usually add quick reminders on foot faults, who is to hold the ball during time-outs, and for the line judges to not chase after loose balls. If I'm feeling really lucky about my line judges I might also comment on their positioning during time-outs and their positioning for any server who serves from the left third of the service area. I end it by telling them to have fun, and I always look for my line judges after a match to thank them for their help.
I use "server" for S, negating the need to add the foot fault explanation.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee