Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 28, 2019, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

The Game no one wants to be on.

Situation:

Large school VG game

At home game in Nov.

Veteran crew missed a timing issue with regards to the shot clock coming out of a timeout (was a new FIBA rule this year).

Team B gets extra seconds late in last minute possession. Makes a tying shot with shot clock expiring.

Team A calls time out asks officials about the timing issue. Doesn't get addressed in terms of changing anything. They do correctly apply the rule coming out of Team A's timeout giving them the correct amount. They miss a shot at the end of their shot clock with the remaining seconds Team B hits a half court heave to win the game.

Team A coach files formal appeal with league. After 2 months of looking at tape, interviews, etc. (Yay red tape) They ruled last week the league game in its entirety would be replayed. The Local officiating zone will not cover the game as they do not agree with the decision to replay the entire game or any portion. (Zone's assignor and director's dad was on the grew that kicked it).

So now they are getting the game covered by the closest district (us). Guess who is on this game. LOL

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Mon Jan 28, 2019, 02:20pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
Situation:

Large school VG game

At home game in Nov.

Veteran crew missed a timing issue with regards to the shot clock coming out of a timeout (was a new FIBA rule this year).

Team B gets extra seconds late in last minute possession. Makes a tying shot with shot clock expiring.

Team A calls time out asks officials about the timing issue. Doesn't get addressed in terms of changing anything. They do correctly apply the rule coming out of Team A's timeout giving them the correct amount. They miss a shot at the end of their shot clock with the remaining seconds Team B hits a half court heave to win the game.

Team A coach files formal appeal with league. After 2 months of looking at tape, interviews, etc. (Yay red tape) They ruled last week the league game in its entirety would be replayed. The Local officiating zone will not cover the game as they do not agree with the decision to replay the entire game or any portion. (Zone's assignor and director's dad was on the grew that kicked it).

So now they are getting the game covered by the closest district (us). Guess who is on this game. LOL
Not me. I wouldn't be, either.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2019, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
Guess who is on this game. LOL
Billy Mac, ilyzhito, thedeweed?
Old Mon Jan 28, 2019, 04:50pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Billy Mac, ilyzhito, thedeweed?
I'd pay money to see that.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2019, 04:51pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I'd pay money to see that.
I'd need to predrink.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2019, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

What a crew that would be, but by the time they finish their pre-game, complete with BillyMac's glossy pictures with the circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one, it would be halftime.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2019, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Not necessarily. We still have to get out on the floor to work the game. BillyMac would probably be the R, but we would all have to be R's (I'd have to keep the crew on its toes with the FIBA rules, and thedeweed would have to ensure that BillyMac knows where he's going (FIBA 3-person mechanics are different from NFHS and IAABO mechanics, e.g. calling official on free throws becomes Trail Opposite (with Lead Opposite administering the free throws)). Once we get through the 1st quarter, we should be OK, with the help of alternate official Pantherdreams (who would probably be working in real life LOL).
Old Tue Jan 29, 2019, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

I have worked with BillyMac many, many times and trust me, the uniform rules would be enforced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Tue Jan 29, 2019, 09:39am
Esteemed Forum Member

Just Like Sisyphus ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefCT View Post
I have worked with BillyMac many, many times and trust me, the uniform rules would be enforced.
In my new life as a subvarsity official, and newly retired from my day job, I've been working a lot of middle school games this year. At first I treated them as varsity games in regard to fashion rules. Eventually I felt just like Sisyphus, rolling the giant boulder up the hill and down the hill, over and over again, with no closure in sight.

Now in a middle school game I just enforce undershirts (even allowed black undershirt with dark blue jersey, and light gray undershirt with white jersey), headbands, wristbands, hard hair control devices, and jewelry.

I ignore arm sleeves, knee sleeves, lower leg sleeves, compression shorts, tights, knee pads, and elbow pads.

It's a compromise I can live with and one that my local interpreter can live with.

Go ahead, start throwing stones, but I was just getting damn tired rolling that giant boulder up and down the hill, over and over again. It totally wore me down.

You can't expect me to be the Guardian of the IAABO Galaxy.

I look like George Clooney, not Chris Pratt.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)