The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 23, 2019, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

4 Steps layup legal or not?

Post 2017 FIBA, most of us have accepted the gather plus 2 steps. Watch this video with a delayed step zero, what is your take?

A few rules that may help you decide:

24.1.2 A A dribble ends when the player touches the ball with both hands simultaneously or
permits the ball to come to rest in one or both hands

24.1.2 C There is no limit to the number of steps a player may take when the ball is not in
contact with his hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBChOv3QTuE

When is the gather step? 0:07 from right going to left? Keep in mind that the right foot is lifted before the right hand comes in contact with the ball.

The only thing we can all agree on is under full speed, most of us would have called this a travel. The thought of the entire gym going crazy for this no call is just too much.

Last edited by eltonsi; Wed Jan 23, 2019 at 02:46pm.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2019, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

I think calling this a 4 step layup is causing you problems.

Based on the FIBA rules cited and the video. After the ball is gathered he takes his zero step. Then proceeds to take 2 more steps. All legal under FIBA. It may look funny to what we are used to seeing but under the rules its good. I will see if I can track down video of a shooter in our local varsity girls conference. She was getting called for travelling early in the season on her jump shot footwork, coach was upset sent our local board tape in game and practice. Looks ridiculous compared to how normal shooters would catch and shoot but under new rules not a travel.

Basically she steps/runs towards the catch as she grabs the ball puts her right foot down and hops off of it onto two and shoots it. Looks really bad when she is curling off the baseline as she use 1 step and hop off the running catch to change 180 degrees and shoot it.

We will see if I can track down the film they sent the board. My email deletion skills are tracking ahead of my future needs . . .

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Wed Jan 23, 2019, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltonsi View Post

The only thing we can all agree on is under full speed, most of us would have called this a travel. The thought of the entire gym going crazy for this no call is just too much.
Travel in full speed and travel in slow mo.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2019, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
I think calling this a 4 step layup is causing you problems.

Based on the FIBA rules cited and the video. After the ball is gathered he takes his zero step. Then proceeds to take 2 more steps. All legal under FIBA. It may look funny to what we are used to seeing but under the rules its good. I will see if I can track down video of a shooter in our local varsity girls conference. She was getting called for travelling early in the season on her jump shot footwork, coach was upset sent our local board tape in game and practice. Looks ridiculous compared to how normal shooters would catch and shoot but under new rules not a travel.

Basically she steps/runs towards the catch as she grabs the ball puts her right foot down and hops off of it onto two and shoots it. Looks really bad when she is curling off the baseline as she use 1 step and hop off the running catch to change 180 degrees and shoot it.

We will see if I can track down the film they sent the board. My email deletion skills are tracking ahead of my future needs . . .

I agree, it looks absolutely ridiculous, but viewed in slow motion, I don't see how you can call it travelling. Gather step going to the left, followed by two steps.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2019, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Can you please explain which would you deem as step zero, one, two and three (extra step)?
Old Wed Jan 23, 2019, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Not under FIBA rules
Old Wed Jan 23, 2019, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltonsi View Post
Can you please explain which would you deem as step zero, one, two and three (extra step)?
Zero step is a NBA/FIBA term that gets used. It is the pivot foot at the end of a dribble. In this case, the player gathers the ball with the left foot on the floor and according to FIBA rules he is allowed to more steps.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2019, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
Zero step is a NBA/FIBA term that gets used. It is the pivot foot at the end of a dribble. In this case, the player gathers the ball with the left foot on the floor and according to FIBA rules he is allowed to more steps.
Agree, which is what the video is saying if you turn on close caption.