The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 23, 2019, 11:58am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 6
4 Steps layup legal or not?

Post 2017 FIBA, most of us have accepted the gather plus 2 steps. Watch this video with a delayed step zero, what is your take?

A few rules that may help you decide:

24.1.2 A A dribble ends when the player touches the ball with both hands simultaneously or
permits the ball to come to rest in one or both hands

24.1.2 C There is no limit to the number of steps a player may take when the ball is not in
contact with his hand.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBChOv3QTuE

When is the gather step? 0:07 from right going to left? Keep in mind that the right foot is lifted before the right hand comes in contact with the ball.

The only thing we can all agree on is under full speed, most of us would have called this a travel. The thought of the entire gym going crazy for this no call is just too much.

Last edited by eltonsi; Wed Jan 23, 2019 at 02:46pm.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 23, 2019, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NB/PEI, Canada
Posts: 758
I think calling this a 4 step layup is causing you problems.

Based on the FIBA rules cited and the video. After the ball is gathered he takes his zero step. Then proceeds to take 2 more steps. All legal under FIBA. It may look funny to what we are used to seeing but under the rules its good. I will see if I can track down video of a shooter in our local varsity girls conference. She was getting called for travelling early in the season on her jump shot footwork, coach was upset sent our local board tape in game and practice. Looks ridiculous compared to how normal shooters would catch and shoot but under new rules not a travel.

Basically she steps/runs towards the catch as she grabs the ball puts her right foot down and hops off of it onto two and shoots it. Looks really bad when she is curling off the baseline as she use 1 step and hop off the running catch to change 180 degrees and shoot it.

We will see if I can track down the film they sent the board. My email deletion skills are tracking ahead of my future needs . . .
__________________
Coach: Hey ref I'll make sure you can get out of here right after the game!

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 23, 2019, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltonsi View Post

The only thing we can all agree on is under full speed, most of us would have called this a travel. The thought of the entire gym going crazy for this no call is just too much.
Travel in full speed and travel in slow mo.
__________________
If some rules are never enforced, then why do they exist?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 23, 2019, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
I think calling this a 4 step layup is causing you problems.

Based on the FIBA rules cited and the video. After the ball is gathered he takes his zero step. Then proceeds to take 2 more steps. All legal under FIBA. It may look funny to what we are used to seeing but under the rules its good. I will see if I can track down video of a shooter in our local varsity girls conference. She was getting called for travelling early in the season on her jump shot footwork, coach was upset sent our local board tape in game and practice. Looks ridiculous compared to how normal shooters would catch and shoot but under new rules not a travel.

Basically she steps/runs towards the catch as she grabs the ball puts her right foot down and hops off of it onto two and shoots it. Looks really bad when she is curling off the baseline as she use 1 step and hop off the running catch to change 180 degrees and shoot it.

We will see if I can track down the film they sent the board. My email deletion skills are tracking ahead of my future needs . . .

I agree, it looks absolutely ridiculous, but viewed in slow motion, I don't see how you can call it travelling. Gather step going to the left, followed by two steps.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 23, 2019, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Travel in full speed and travel in slow mo.
Can you please explain which would you deem as step zero, one, two and three (extra step)?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 23, 2019, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Travel in full speed and travel in slow mo.
Not under FIBA rules
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 23, 2019, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltonsi View Post
Can you please explain which would you deem as step zero, one, two and three (extra step)?
Zero step is a NBA/FIBA term that gets used. It is the pivot foot at the end of a dribble. In this case, the player gathers the ball with the left foot on the floor and according to FIBA rules he is allowed to more steps.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 23, 2019, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
Zero step is a NBA/FIBA term that gets used. It is the pivot foot at the end of a dribble. In this case, the player gathers the ball with the left foot on the floor and according to FIBA rules he is allowed to more steps.
Agree, which is what the video is saying if you turn on close caption.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steps on Layup rekent Basketball 34 Mon Nov 12, 2012 01:43pm
Question about a layup CooLiSH Basketball 12 Mon Jan 05, 2009 02:52am
Layup Dan_ref Basketball 50 Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:27am
Intentional Foul on Layup mbloise Basketball 2 Wed Dec 22, 2004 06:43pm
Players yelling during layup joshlamerritt Basketball 15 Fri Nov 22, 2002 03:21pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1