The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 07, 2019, 09:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Respect (Aretha Franklin, 1967) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
Your partner has bought into "attribution theory": giving the person characteristics he does not have, but rather ascribing those characteristics to him because of perceived age/seniority. It's a very hard perception to dis-embed from a person's mindset
I call any distant acquaintance older than me "Mr.", and Mrs.". I also use titles for any professorial, "Dr.", "Officer", "Detective", "Professor", "Reverend". "Father", etc., even if they're much younger than me. I call almost all coaches "Coach", except for a few that I've known for almost forty years, from my days as a coach, calling very few of them by their first name.

I would always call my best friend's parents Mr. and Mrs. Smith, up until the day they died, while I was middle aged adult. It used to drive my ex-wife crazy, one of the reasons I'm divorced.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 08, 2019 at 08:01am.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2019, 09:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Heard It Here First ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
Why all the big hubbub about "team control fouls" and "not shooting bonus FTs" for them lately?
The black helicopters are dropping something in the water.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jan 08, 2019, 06:22am
Official Forum Member

In these "loose ball" situations I will usually signal a team control foul (punch) right away which helps to eliminate any doubt about the type of foul. Having said that, these plays usually involve a scramble of some kind and it can easy to miss.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2019, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Great discussion!

Just goes to show that even the most "veteran" officials do things incorrectly. Whether that be their whole career or they just have a brain fart. It happens. We can all learn something at any moment.

You have to take pride in doing your job and knowing the rules. DO NOT hesitate to approach a partner and discuss something if it seems off. I agree this should be done away from the ears of ANYBODY in the gym.

We are a team and we need to take all steps necessary to get it right. The term "veteran" does not necessarily mean "correct all the time".