The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 30, 2018, 12:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Verticality Example : Anticipating a call

BTW,

This is a friend of mine. He said to post this play.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 30, 2018, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

I’m not sure it’s so much anticipating the call as it is misperceiving that the defender was moving toward the ball handler at the point of contact. He wasn’t, but in real time the relative motion between the two can make it appear that way.

This is something I need to get better at, too. I suppose the moral of the story is...be patient and if it’s marginal like that, even if the defender may have appeared to be moving forward, just bite the whistle and play on.

In your friend’s defense, it’s good that he erred on the side of the team getting blown out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Dec 30, 2018, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

On whom was the foul called? The primary defender, who appears to be one that is vertical, does not react the way the other (55?) did. The secondary defender attempts a block on the ball at the last millisecond and then reacts as if the foul was called on him.

But, I did not feel that there was a foul on primary defender. Looked vertical to me. Plus, offensive player was initiating/forcing everything.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2018, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

I have no call.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2018, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

The men who work at that level are their own harshest critics. That’s how they got there. He knows it wasn’t a good whistle. I wouldn’t be surprised if he told the Iowa coach exactly that. The communication is the most interesting part of this to me. How did he handle it and what did he say? Since you know him perhaps you can find that out and post it.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2018, 03:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The men who work at that level are their own harshest critics. That’s how they got there. He knows it wasn’t a good whistle. I wouldn’t be surprised if he told the Iowa coach exactly that. The communication is the most interesting part of this to me. How did he handle it and what did he say? Since you know him perhaps you can find that out and post it.
Actually, he posted the play on our association FB website. He very much did not like the call and told everyone so. But he is also very critical of plays he has and has posted others where he was not happy or it was a touch situation. I asked permission before I posted it on YouTube. He wanted the call back and that is why the coach reacted the way he did and he went table side after the call. This is a very good official and working a lot of D1 ball now.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 30, 2018, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

I tried to listen closely to the PA announcer and it sounds as if the foul was indeed called on 10 (vertical defender) so it makes more sense.

Last edited by bucky; Mon Dec 31, 2018 at 12:55am.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2018, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

if you can't talk to coaches when you screw one up, that's not good. they know when you are running from them, they are typically not stupid. go the bench side and don't run from the problem. that's a really bad call for any level.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2018, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Verticality Example : Anticipating a call

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedewed View Post
if you can't talk to coaches when you screw one up, that's not good. they know when you are running from them, they are typically not stupid. go the bench side and don't run from the problem.

All true. This is why I am not a fan of the NCAAM/IAABO mechanic to go opposite. It hinders communication. I’d rather the exception be going opposite to avoid a confrontation than staying tableside when an act of contrition is called for (as was the case here).

Quote:
that's a really bad call for any level.
C’mon, man. Your point was good and then you had to go there.

Old Sun Dec 30, 2018, 07:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
All true. This is why I am not a fan of the NCAAM/IAABO mechanic to go opposite. It hinders communication. I’d rather the exception be going opposite to avoid a confrontation than staying tableside when an act of contrition is called for (as was the case here).
I do not totally disagree with this. But most fouls are not at all a problem and needs very little discussion. But when there is something to talk to them about, I have or my partners just ask to go over there so it will not escalate. At the college level, the coaches are a little bit more professional. High School coaches tend to fly off the damn handle unnecessarily. You can be right in front of them and you do not want to talk to them at all.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 30, 2018, 07:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
that's a really bad call for any level.
Well, there are a lot of officials that will justify that call at the high school level for sure. Again, the calling official hated the call. It happens. Lack of concentration or lack of patients. It did not hurt the game and Iowa won handily.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 30, 2018, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I’m not sure it’s so much anticipating the call as it is misperceiving that the defender was moving toward the ball handler at the point of contact. He wasn’t, but in real time the relative motion between the two can make it appear that way.
Completely agree with this assessment.

Chris
Old Sun Dec 30, 2018, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Looks more like one of those, "I just blew my whistle and have no idea why", type calls. Happens to everyone.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2018, 08:49am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I don't mind going opposite. I think there is too much expectation for us to communicate with coaches when we call fouls against their teams. Sh!t, when I work HS games, I don't go anywhere near the coaches when I go tableside. If they want my attention then need to get my attention. I'd rather the exception be going to a coach when I feel it is necessary, and the rule being to call a foul, report it, and get back to monitoring the players without interruption from the sideline.

Coaches need to spend more time coaching and less time lobbying and whining.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Dec 31, 2018 at 08:52am.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2018, 09:20am
Administrator

Quote:

This is something I need to get better at, too. I suppose the moral of the story is...be patient and if it’s marginal like that, even if the defender may have appeared to be moving forward, just bite the whistle and play on.

In your friend’s defense, it’s good that he erred on the side of the team getting blown out.

CrossCountry:

Great analysis.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio