The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 20, 2018, 01:29am
Esteemed Forum Member

Players Rush The Court In Celebration ...

... but the game's not quite over.

NFHS: After a near end of game successful try, thinking the game is over and has been won, bench personnel prematurely leave the bench and run onto playing court to celebrate.

However, seconds remain on clock.

Opponent is prevented from completing throw-in and moving ball up playing court.

Anybody got a casebook play, or annual interpretation, on charging a technical foul in this specific situation (premature celebration interfered with the game)?

How about a rule citation on exactly how (and who) to penalize?

Thank you.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 20, 2018, 08:46am
Courageous When Prudent

What about rules 10-2-1b and 10-5-2 do you think is ambiguous?
Old Thu Dec 20, 2018, 09:30am
Esteemed Forum Member

Indirect Technical Foul ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
What about rules 10-2-1b and 10-5-2 do you think is ambiguous?
Which rule should be used? The difference being that the coach doesn't receive an indirect foul in 10-2-1b, but does receive an indirect technical foul in 10-5-2.

NFHS 10-2-1-B: TEAM TECHNICAL
Delay the game by preventing the ball from being made promptly live or from being put in play.

NFHS 10-5-2: BENCH TECHNICAL
The head coach is responsible for his/her own conduct and behavior, as well as substitutes, disqualified team members and all other bench personnel. Bench personnel, including the head coach, shall not: Enter the court unless by permission of an official to attend an injured player.

The only interpretation that I could find (after my extensive search) states that it's a team technical foul, thus the coach not getting an indirect technical foul.

NFHS 5.6.2 SITUATION G: The score is tied when A1 is fouled in the act of shooting and the try is unsuccessful. Playing time for the fourth quarter expires while the ball is in flight. No players are allowed along the lane. A1's first free-throw attempt is successful. Immediately following the made free throw the occupants of the Team A bench rush onto the court and a mini celebration takes place. RULING: The second free throw is not required. No penalty unless the celebration or any act is unsporting and a foul is charged to Team A before the final score has been approved. (5-6-2 Exception 3)

We have a local debate going on regarding such. I was curious as to whether some Forum members thought it should be a bench personnel technical foul, contrary to the NFHS interpretation (that's hard to argue with because it seems as clear as a bell).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Dec 20, 2018, 09:52am
Courageous When Prudent

I'm going with 10-2-1b because 10-2-1b deals with delaying/preventing the ball from being live, which the celebration is doing.

I would use 10-5-2 for players who leave the bench area for no good reason, IOW for unsporting reasons.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2018, 10:22am
Esteemed Forum Member

Team Technical ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I'm going with 10-2-1b because 10-2-1b deals with delaying/preventing the ball from being live, which the celebration is doing.
We both agree with the NFHS 5.6.2 SITUATION G interpretation of a team technical foul.

Old Thu Dec 20, 2018, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Well it's not a typical delay of game penalty, and for it to be a bench technical would almost require you to charge each individual player that entered the court illegally with their own individual T's (similar to illegal substitutions).

This would leave a team T as the most reasonable penalty. But in such a case if the opposing team were trying to inbounds there is no way I could not justify a T. If they were calling a TO I wouldn't have a T. As described I have a team T.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2018, 02:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Not Your Father's Delay Technical ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Well it's not a typical delay of game penalty ...
… no prior delay warnings necessary (plus it's not on the "delay list").

Old Fri Dec 21, 2018, 08:16am
Esteemed Forum Member

For The Good Of The Cause ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
… no prior delay warnings necessary (plus it's not on the "delay list").
Warnings for delay: Throwin plane, free throw huddle, interfering with ball after goal, failure to have court ready.

(Looked them up to remind myself, I figured why not share.)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Dec 21, 2018 at 01:50pm.