The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 21, 2018, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

12/21/1891

According to bing, Naismith's game was first played today. Happy anniversary, Basketball!

Some members of this forum took issue and thought he should have used washtubs instead of peach baskets. At the time, MTD's attic contained just old trunks and unused furniture, not his archives, and BillyMac had already sent Naismith 500 posts (postcards at 1¢ apiece). Ilyazhito, although not yet born, offered his opinion on 17 ways to improve the game.

Oh, and I was lurking in the balcony at the game.

Last edited by LRZ; Fri Dec 21, 2018 at 09:17am.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2018, 11:36am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
According to bing, Naismith's game was first played today. Happy anniversary, Basketball!

Some members of this forum took issue and thought he should have used washtubs instead of peach baskets. At the time, MTD's attic contained just old trunks and unused furniture, not his archives, and BillyMac had already sent Naismith 500 posts (postcards at 1¢ apiece). Ilyazhito, although not yet born, offered his opinion on 17 ways to improve the game.

Oh, and I was lurking in the balcony at the game.

Today's trivia question: Of all of the Head Coaches of men's basketball at the University of Kansas (my mother's alma mater), only one HC had a losing record for his time at KU? Who was he?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Dec 21, 2018, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

I'll bite: the good doctor himself.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2018, 02:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Got Next Takes On A Whole New Meaning ...

James Naismith was a fraud. He didn't invent basketball. It was played over a thousand years ago by the ancient Maya in what's now Cancun.

The rules were tough. The losing side’s speaking captain was sometimes killed and sacrificed to the gods, often by decapitation (with the head often being used as the "ball" in the next game).

Here's a video tape made by ancient aliens. He's out of view most of the time, but that's Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (with the black and white feathers) officiating. He was vacationing in Cancun with his lovely wife and decided to work a few games.

https://youtu.be/jKvQjgC9sIY
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Dec 21, 2018 at 02:44pm.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2018, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Iirc, it was the Mayans where the winning captain (or whatever the called it) was the sacrifice—it was a high honor.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2018, 03:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's The White Stones All The Way Around ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
... it was the Mayans where the winning captain (or whatever the called it) was the sacrifice—it was a high honor.
No, it was the captain of the losing team. In his pregames, when Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. asked who the speaking captains were, nobody raised their hands.

Once, a captain foolishly replied by raising his hand and the other captain said, "Have you lost your head?".

It's all true.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Dec 21, 2018 at 03:25pm.