View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 20, 2018, 09:30am
Esteemed Forum Member

Indirect Technical Foul ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
What about rules 10-2-1b and 10-5-2 do you think is ambiguous?
Which rule should be used? The difference being that the coach doesn't receive an indirect foul in 10-2-1b, but does receive an indirect technical foul in 10-5-2.

NFHS 10-2-1-B: TEAM TECHNICAL
Delay the game by preventing the ball from being made promptly live or from being put in play.

NFHS 10-5-2: BENCH TECHNICAL
The head coach is responsible for his/her own conduct and behavior, as well as substitutes, disqualified team members and all other bench personnel. Bench personnel, including the head coach, shall not: Enter the court unless by permission of an official to attend an injured player.

The only interpretation that I could find (after my extensive search) states that it's a team technical foul, thus the coach not getting an indirect technical foul.

NFHS 5.6.2 SITUATION G: The score is tied when A1 is fouled in the act of shooting and the try is unsuccessful. Playing time for the fourth quarter expires while the ball is in flight. No players are allowed along the lane. A1's first free-throw attempt is successful. Immediately following the made free throw the occupants of the Team A bench rush onto the court and a mini celebration takes place. RULING: The second free throw is not required. No penalty unless the celebration or any act is unsporting and a foul is charged to Team A before the final score has been approved. (5-6-2 Exception 3)

We have a local debate going on regarding such. I was curious as to whether some Forum members thought it should be a bench personnel technical foul, contrary to the NFHS interpretation (that's hard to argue with because it seems as clear as a bell).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)