The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Violation??? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104206-violation.html)

Scooby Mon Dec 17, 2018 04:48pm

Violation???

While administrating a spot throw-in. I gave the ball to A1 who put the ball on the ground, out of bounds and ran in-bounds. A2 came out of bounds, picked up the ball and threw it in to A3. This was done in under 5 seconds. Is this a violation?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Dec 17, 2018 04:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooby (Post 1027328)
While administrating a spot throw-in. I gave the ball to A1 who put the ball on the ground, out of bounds and ran in-bounds. A2 came out of bounds, picked up the ball and threw it in to A3. This was done in under 5 seconds. Is this a violation?

Yes.

MTD Sr.

so cal lurker Mon Dec 17, 2018 05:35pm

Would it be legal if it were a post-score play after a TO?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Dec 17, 2018 09:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 1027332)

No.

MTD Sr.

P.S. When I read So Cal Lurker's question I knew that he asked if the situation that he posted was "legal" but my brain read his question in the same connotation as the Scooby's question: "Is this a violation?" For which the correct answer is: No. But the correct answer to So Cal Lurker's situation as he asked it ("Is this legal?") is: Yes.

Since I retired from college officiating after the 2007-08 season I do not study the NCAA Men's and Women's Rules in detail every year as I did when I still officiated at that level. Therefore, I have a question for NevadaRef: Which of the two situations above in the thread does the A.R. apply and does it apply to both NCAA Men's and Women's?

MTD, Sr.

Nevadaref Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:38pm

Quote:

Yes. MTD is incorrect.
The NCAA has an AR that putting the ball on the floor is not a pass and therefore this action is not allowed, which is nuts, butNFHS has no such ruling.

bob jenkins Tue Dec 18, 2018 08:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1027342)
Yes. MTD is incorrect.
The NCAA has an AR that putting the ball on the floor is not a pass and therefore this action is not allowed, which is nuts, butNFHS has no such ruling.

I agree with Nevada -- the OP is a violation; the revision (after a score) is not.

Raymond Tue Dec 18, 2018 09:32am

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1027342)
Yes. MTD is incorrect.

What A.R. is that? The only one I've seen that is close to that is A1 placing the ball on the floor because he loses his balance, steps onto the court, then returns OOB and picks up the ball.

LRZ Tue Dec 18, 2018 09:48am

Although I may be splitting an extremely fine hair, the answer to the second scenario may not be so clear.

Under 7-5-7, a thrower-in "may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate(s) outside the boundary." Does "outside the boundary" modify "teammate" or "pass the ball along the end line"?

If the former, at the moment A1 set the ball down (assuming this is a "pass"), A2, who was in-bounds, was not "a teammate outside the boundary." If not, then 7-5-7 does not save Team A from a violation.

If the latter, then 7-5-7 would apply.

Unless there is a 15 year-old case, no longer in the book, that says....

Scooby Tue Dec 18, 2018 02:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1027349)
I agree with Nevada -- the OP is a violation; the revision (after a score) is not.

So what is the rule being violated, in NFHS? I do not know which it is?

Raymond Tue Dec 18, 2018 03:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooby (Post 1027401)
So what is the rule being violated, in NFHS? I do not know which it is?

On a designated spot throw-in no teammates of the thrower-in may go OOB. And they sure as heck cannot swap out the thrower-in once the ball is at the disposal of the thrower-in. Additionally, thrower-in may not leave the throw-in spot until the ball has been released as part of the throw-in.

Rules 4-42, 7-6, and 9-2 cover everything you need to know.

bucky Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1027406)
On a designated spot throw-in no teammates of the thrower-in may go OOB.

Very close but not 100% accurate;)

justacoach Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1027415)

OK, I'll bite.

What's the exception?

BillyMac Wed Dec 19, 2018 01:47am

Leaving The Court For An Unauthorized Reason ...

Quote:

On a designated spot throw-in no teammates of the thrower-in may go OOB.

This would be a violation for leaving the court for an unauthorized reason, it's not a throwin violation.

Correct?

BillyMac Wed Dec 19, 2018 01:56am

It's The Old Switcheroo ...

... the oldest trick in the book.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooby (Post 1027328)
While administrating a spot throw-in. I gave the ball to A1 who put the ball on the ground, out of bounds and ran in-bounds. A2 came out of bounds, picked up the ball and threw it in to A3.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooby (Post 1027401)
So what is the rule being violated, in NFHS?

Quote:

On a designated spot throw-in ... sure as heck cannot swap out the thrower-in once the ball is at the disposal of the thrower-in. Additionally, thrower-in may not leave the throw-in spot until the ball has been released as part of the throw-in.

9-2-9: The thrower shall not be replaced by a teammate after the ball
is at the thrower's disposal, except as in 7-5-7.

9-2-1: The thrower shall not leave the designated throw-in spot until
the ball has been released on a throw-in pass.

Raymond Wed Dec 19, 2018 08:44am

Quote:

On a designated spot throw-in no teammates of the thrower-in may go OOB. And they sure as heck cannot swap out the thrower-in once the ball is at the disposal of the thrower-in. Additionally, thrower-in may not leave the throw-in spot until the ball has been released as part of the throw-in.

Rules 4-42, 7-6, and 9-2 cover everything you need to know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1027415)

We'll be waiting on your rules citation.