The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 16, 2018, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Free Throw administered incorrectly

*Fair warning, the first paragraph is some backstory about the event, but is not necessary to answer the question. Skip to 2nd paragraph for just the situation: Boys varsity game, a competitive game with really no issues between players and coaches. Early 2nd quarter, A1 has a breakaway layup and is fouled from behind by B1. The foul is legitimate, never considered intentional for a second, but B1 while trying to block the shot came over the top of A1, and their arms get tangled, with neither letting go. A couple shouts and shoves and we have a double technical foul. Pretty standard, no issues there. A1 is immediately restrained by his teammates and cools down quickly. B1 however, walks toward his bench while staring down A1. Arguably another tech there, but while walking he then sees A2 in his path, and intentionally chest bumps him, and A2 responds by shoving back. So we have another double T, which gives B1 his 2nd. Some confusion occurs in reporting the fouls, and the official administering FTs thinks the sequence went 1) shooting foul, 2) double T, ) single T, and administers the shooting foul shots with no one on the lanes. After the 2nd shot, the crew realizes that there are no further FTs to be shot, and that the lanes should have been occupied.

So the question is this: If you have a shooting foul followed by off-setting Techs, you resume play by shooting the FT for the shooting foul with lanes occupied, as if the T's never happened. But if the officials err and shoot the shots with the lanes cleared, now what? Go to the possession arrow? Does it matter if the 2nd FT is made or missed?
Old Sun Dec 16, 2018, 03:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Not A Correctable Error ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
... administers the shooting foul shots with no one on the lanes. After the 2nd shot, the crew realizes that there are no further FTs to be shot, and that the lanes should have been occupied?
Double technical and another double technical are easy, point of interruption.

This leaves the problem of no rebounders along the lane for the act of shooting penalty.

Not a correctable error.

Second shot is successful. Give the ball to Team B for a run the endline throwin.

Second shot is unsuccessful. Go to the possession arrow. No run the endline if Team B gets the arrow.

That's my common sense opinion, hopefully the rules will support me.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 16, 2018, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Double technical and another double technical are easy, point of interruption.

This leaves the problem of no rebounders along the lane for the act of shooting penalty.

Not a correctable error.

Second shot is successful. Give the ball to Team B for a run the endline throwin.

Second shot is unsuccessful. Go to the possession arrow. No run the endline if Team B gets the arrow.

That's my common sense opinion, hopefully the rules will support me.
And thats what we did. They missed the 2nd FT, we went to the arrow. However if I'm being honest, had he made the 2nd FT, I'm not sure we would've done anything different.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2018, 03:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Too Much Information ...

Quote:
However if I'm being honest, had he made the 2nd FT, I'm not sure we would've done anything different.
Why offer this, ever hear of a perjury trap?

"The things I did not say never hurt me." (Calvin Coolidge)

“Never miss a good chance to shut up.” (Will Rogers)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Dec 16, 2018, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Why offer this, ever hear of a perjury trap?

"The things I did not say never hurt me." (Calvin Coolidge)

“Never miss a good chance to shut up.” (Will Rogers)
Well then allow me to double down and also add that we arbitrarily put the ball in play at half-court as well.

While I'm bothered that we did this incorrectly, what bothers me more is that we didn't do what I have frequently heard and said in our pregame, which is "...If we have something weird happen, lets come together to discuss, figure out what the correct ruling is, and know how we are going to put the ball back in play." Had we done that last part, which again is said in so many pregames, we'd've been fine.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2018, 06:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Reflection ...

Quote:
... had he made the 2nd FT, I'm not sure we would've done anything different.
Quote:
... that we arbitrarily put the ball in play at half-court as well.
It's good to reflect upon one's errors, and it will probably prevent you from doing it again.

It this is the worst mistake that you make this year, it's going to be a great year.

Old Mon Dec 17, 2018, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well then allow me to double down and also add that we arbitrarily put the ball in play at half-court as well.

While I'm bothered that we did this incorrectly, what bothers me more is that we didn't do what I have frequently heard and said in our pregame, which is "...If we have something weird happen, lets come together to discuss, figure out what the correct ruling is, and know how we are going to put the ball back in play." Had we done that last part, which again is said in so many pregames, we'd've been fine.
You made a mistake in administration, we all have at some point. Recognize it now and learn from it. As Billy said if this is the worst mistake you make all year you will have a good year.