The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 14, 2018, 02:02am
We don't rent pigs

I can't believe......

they didn't know this. A1 is doubled in the post and looks to pass back out. A2, in his attempt to get open backs up and steps on the sideline. From here, he jumps in the air, receives a pass from A1 and returns to the floor inbounds.

Just to make sure everybody here knows, is this a violation or not?

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Dec 14, 2018, 07:16am
Esteemed Forum Member

Who Didn't Know This ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
A1 is doubled in the post and looks to pass back out. A2, in his attempt to get open backs up and steps on the sideline. From here, he jumps in the air, receives a pass from A1 and returns to the floor inbounds.
Violation.

You are where you are until you get where you're going.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 14, 2018, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

If you judge the player was out of bounds when they jumped they are out of bounds until they land inbounds.

Jumping is however an inexact activity performed with a wide variety of bio mechanic diversity. If at least part of a foot or one entire foot was inbounds when the jump occured you could probably make a convincing argument based on their jumping mechanics that by the time their entire body left the floor the parts leaving the floor had regained inbounds status. Ie. If my heel is out of bounds and I jump in order to jump i am likely extending my foot from heel off the ground first to toes off the ground last to activate the appropriate muscles. Meaning, that if only my toes were on the floor at one point in the jumping process I had contact with the floor inbounds only with my foot/feet before leaving the ground. OR which foot leaves contact with the floor last etc.

That is convoluted though, so refer back to intial part of repsonse. If you judge they were out of bounds when they left the floor they are out of bounds until they return to the floor.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Fri Dec 14, 2018, 10:36am
Do not give a damn!!

There are many things officials do not know, even the most obvious things to us. I know, when I teach officials in my class the things that even experienced officials have to be taught is numerous. The rules can be hard to completely grasp if you are not familiar with certain situations.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 14, 2018, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
There are many things officials do not know, even the most obvious things to us.
Last year I called a kicked ball on team A (offense) as T, point to the throw-in spot for Team B, and my partner gives me that look. He tells me that I am wrong, it is Team A ball, only kicked ball violations on the defense are penalized!!
Old Fri Dec 14, 2018, 12:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

They've Got An Awful Lot Of Coffee In Brazil (Frank Sinatra, 1946) …

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... the things that even experienced officials have to be taught is numerous.
In my new life as a subvarsity official, a few nights ago my young partner called a three second violation and administered the throwin from the closest spot to the violation rather than the point of interruption on the other side of the lane (where the ball was). As old trail, new lead, this allowed me to stay put rather than rotate across the court.

I complimented him at halftime on the administration of the throwin, but he admitted that he really didn't know the rule, rather he didn't want to force me to rotate (he works a lot of recreation league games with modified mechanics). I was pretty sure that he actually had done it correctly, but he had me questioning myself, so I had to confirm it by looking it up when I got home.

There are an awful lot rules in basketball. Lots to remember. Lots to forget.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Dec 14, 2018 at 04:29pm.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2018, 12:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Kickball, Sixth Grade, Every Day After Lunch, I'm Whatchacall A Rules Expert ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
... only kicked ball violations on the defense are penalized!!
Maybe in practice, but not in theory. Any intentional kick is a violation, the way that James Naismith and God intended. A defensive player often kicks the ball intentionally as a defensive move to stop a pass (picture guards at the front of a zone defense doing jumping jacks). One has to ask themselves why would an offensive player intentionally kick a ball when it would seldom be a good offensive move (there are often more efficient ways of moving the ball from one location to another). A general rule of thumb (utilized incorrectly by ChuckS's partner) is that many, though certainly not all, defensive kicks are intentional, and thus, violations; and that many, though certainly not all, offensive kicks are unintentional, and play on.

Back in ancient times, when I was working boys high school recreation, I had a ball handler lose the handle on the ball as he was on a fast break with a teammate ahead of him wide open. The ball handler kicked the loose ball from the floor to his teammate for a wide open layup. I called the violation and the coach complained that it wasn't a defensive kick. I replied that I believed that it was kicked intentionally. I later discovered that the ball handler was an All State soccer player.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Dec 14, 2018 at 04:17pm.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2018, 03:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
they didn't know this. A1 is doubled in the post and looks to pass back out. A2, in his attempt to get open backs up and steps on the sideline. From here, he jumps in the air, receives a pass from A1 and returns to the floor inbounds.

Just to make sure everybody here knows, is this a violation or not?
To answer correctly, I would need to know precisely how A2 jumped. If he had one foot inbounds and one foot out of bounds, which foot left the floor last when he jumped or did his feet leave simultaneously?
Old Sat Dec 15, 2018, 03:59pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
To answer correctly, I would need to know precisely how A2 jumped. If he had one foot inbounds and one foot out of bounds, which foot left the floor last when he jumped or did his feet leave simultaneously?

He had both feet on the line. I talked to one of the assistants last night about the play and asked what they saw. He started to diagram the play. "We were running...…" Yeah, yeah, get to the important part. The guy went on to say "He was definitely in when he came back down." I explained that this doesn't matter, that where he left from was the important part. We agreed that he was on the line but I told him that the player could have stepped back in before he jumped and I could have missed it. He took this and ran with it. "Yeah, that's what he did."

I'm satisfied...…… that I'll never know the truth.

Lonesome Dove