The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Halftime Questions (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104187-halftime-questions.html)

harmbu Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:08am

Halftime Questions

Is there any reason why an official would ask the official score keeper for foul counts on various players at halftime of a game. It would seem to me that this is not something an official would need or want to know at this point in the game.

ilyazhito Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:53am

Maybe the official might want to figure out who the problem players are, based on foul trouble. I don't know what other explanation could be there.

Rich Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by harmbu (Post 1026894)
Is there any reason why an official would ask the official score keeper for foul counts on various players at halftime of a game. It would seem to me that this is not something an official would need or want to know at this point in the game.

Are you asking as the scorer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

harmbu Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:53pm

I am asking as the Athletic Director who hired the official score keeper. She came to me after the game asking why an official would ask.

I am not trying to stir anything up. I just wanted to know if this is a common practice that I need fo be aware of.

BillyMac Sat Dec 08, 2018 01:08pm

Dirty Little Secret ...

We're all thinking it, and dancing around the topic, so I might as well say it out loud.

Some officials want to make sure that the star players on both teams don't foul out on "gray area" fouls near the end of the game, they want to be 100% sure that a star player's fifth foul is a "real" fifth foul.

It's a dirty little secret among some officials. Now if any Forum member tells anybody else, they'll have to kill them.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Dec 08, 2018 01:24pm

We all have officiated with officials who want to have that type of information. I do not want it and if a partner gave me that information I would let it go through one ear out the other. WAIT!! That is not what I meant to say. I would ignore the information. Officiate the game the way one would always officiate the game and let the chips fall where they may.

MTD, Sr.

Rich Sat Dec 08, 2018 01:31pm

I want to know who has 4 fouls, yes. I don't want to call any marginal fouls, but I want to be aware of who has 4. The other team, if smart, will try to get a fifth and for me it works both ways -- don't miss an actual foul, but don't put one on that player if it isn't deserved.

I also want to know if there are any GFUs and sometimes the foul list can help with that discussion at halftime.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Dec 08, 2018 01:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1026903)
I want to know who has 4 fouls, yes. I don't want to call any marginal fouls, but I want to be aware of who has 4. The other team, if smart, will try to get a fifth and for me it works both ways -- don't miss an actual foul, but don't put one on that player if it isn't deserved.

I also want to know if there are any GFUs and sometimes the foul list can help with that discussion at halftime.

Rich:

I respectfully disagree. Why? If it is a foul in the first thirty seconds of the game then it is a foul in the last thirty seconds of the game.

MTD, Sr.

Rich Sat Dec 08, 2018 01:38pm

It goes without saying that I'd rather not call any marginal fouls.

But I especially don't want to call a fourth or fifth on anyone, especially an impact player who will not either have to play differently or will be out of the game if it's not an obvious, necessary foul.

I'd just rather know. A lot of top officials I've spoken with and have heard speak agree with me. Others don't. I'm just telling you where I sit on this.

Raymond Sat Dec 08, 2018 01:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by harmbu (Post 1026897)
I am asking as the Athletic Director who hired the official score keeper. She came to me after the game asking why an official would ask.

I am not trying to stir anything up. I just wanted to know if this is a common practice that I need fo be aware of.

It's a good practice for an official to be aware of foul trouble, but not to explicitly ask. Later in games I will sometimes have the 2 scorers confirm they have the same players with 3 or more fouls.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BillyMac Sat Dec 08, 2018 04:32pm

Special Players Getting Special Treatment ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1026905)
... especially an impact player.

Special players getting special treatment isn't just an NBA concept.

That's not my bag, it doesn't seem like the intent and purpose of the rules, but I understand how it accepted by many others.

Rich Sat Dec 08, 2018 04:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1026909)
Special players getting special treatment isn't just an NBA concept.

That's not my bag, it doesn't seem like the intent and purpose of the rules, but I understand how it accepted by many others.

It's not special treatment, it's acknowledgement that a shitty call on an impact player is a much bigger deal than on someone who pops in to give a guy a 2 minute blow in the second quarter.

I want to know who has 3 at all times. Impact player, non-impact player, anyone. I won't hesitate to call those fouls when they're there.

BillyMac Sat Dec 08, 2018 06:21pm

Consistency ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1026910)
... a shitty call on an impact player is a much bigger deal than on someone who pops in to give a guy a 2 minute blow in the second quarter.

It most certainly is, you'll get no argument from me.

Quote:

I won't hesitate to call those fouls when they're there.

And neither would I. Throughout the game, in regard to calling fouls, I try to be consistent with my partner, consistent with what has already been called in the game, consistent with my local board's philosophy on advantage/disadvantage, freedom of movement, late game strategic fouls, etc., and I try to maintain that consistency for thirty-two minutes.

just another ref Sat Dec 08, 2018 06:44pm

Quote:

It's not special treatment, it's acknowledgement that a shitty call on an impact player is a much bigger deal than on someone who pops in to give a guy a 2 minute blow in the second quarter.

Is it inconceivable that consciously trying to avoid a "shitty call" in this situation could lead to a shitty no call?

Raymond Sat Dec 08, 2018 08:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 1026912)
Is it inconceivable that consciously trying to avoid a "shitty call" in this situation could lead to a shitty no call?

Leads to increased concentration and certainty on my part.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk