The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 07, 2018, 11:34am
Esteemed Forum Member

Pride Goeth Before A Fall (Proverbs, 16:18) ...

It was with much consternation, much soul searching, and deep regret, that I just turned back all my varsity games for the season, as well as several afternoon freshman/junior varsity doubleheaders that I had volunteered to work due to my expanded availability because of my retirement from my day job.

After working three scrimmages, I came to the full realization that the bone spur and osteoarthritis in my right ankle was having a negative effect on the quality of my officiating.

Now that I’m retired, and have been able to workout at the gym every day, I thought that I would be able to improve my running, but that didn’t happen as I had expected.

In varsity games that “count”, it's not fair to the players, nor to my partners, that I have to hobble up and down the court like Matt Dillon's sidekick, Chester, in the old Western television series Gunsmoke.

I will continue working junior varsity, freshman, and middle school games, but no more doubleheaders.

Even though I’m only a “journeyman” official, I have worked hard to get to this point in my career, and it’s tough to give it up.

I sincerely believe that this is best for the players, my partners, and thus, is best for my local IAABO board, and although I hate to admit it, it’s probably best for me.

After my heart attack and stent procedure fifteen months ago, my cardiologist put me on a platelet aggregation inhibitor (blood thinner) that prevents me for having any elective surgery, like having my bone spur removed, for the next fifteen months.

I will hopefully be able to have the bone spur surgery as soon as I’m off the blood thinners and then, maybe, I can get back to working some varsity games.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 07, 2018, 12:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No Longer Esteemed ???

Now that I'm no longer working varsity games, do I have to give up my Esteemed Forum Member status, and turn in my Official Forum Fashion Police Badge, and my Official Forum Secret Decoder Ring?

I'll only give up my Official Forum Gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands (with apologies to Charlton Heston).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Dec 07, 2018 at 03:35pm.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2018, 02:10pm
Courageous When Prudent

Will you be volunteering your services as an observer/evaluator?
Old Fri Dec 07, 2018, 02:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Out To Pasture ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Will you be volunteering your services as an observer/evaluator?
Not enough state tournament experience for an "official" evaluator, but I do plan on getting back on the training committee next season.

I've been a board member for thirty-eight years. Even when I finally hang up my whistle, and put away my black belt, I won't be leaving the board, even if they only need me to sell raffle tickets at the door for our meetings.

Old Fri Dec 07, 2018, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

I feel your pain. I am at the age when I consider giving up basketball every year. While I don't have your physical issues, I certainly don't go up and down the court like I did 30 years ago. While I know my experience has offset running speed to some extent, I sometimes think varsity basketball should be done by someone younger than retirement age.

I have a schedule this year that I intend to honor. After the season is over, I will again review my status and make a decision for next year. I also do football, baseball and softball. I don't feel old working those sports.

If we stay around long enough, all of us will be faced with a similar decision.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2018, 03:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Not Fair ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re View Post
If we stay around long enough, all of us will be faced with a similar decision.
I get older every year, while players stay the same age. Not fair.

I've never minded subvarsity games, hopefully I can do those for a few more years.

My board is in desperate need of officials to work those 3:45 p.m. freshman and middle school games.

Old Fri Dec 07, 2018, 05:27pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Now that I'm no longer working varsity games, do I have to give up my Esteemed Forum Member status, and turn in my Official Forum Fashion Police Badge, and my Official Forum Secret Decoder Ring?

I'll only give up my Official Forum Gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands (with apologies to Charlton Heston).
Your new title should be: Emeritus Esteemed Forum Member!!
Old Fri Dec 07, 2018, 06:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Or Why Not ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Your new title should be: Emeritus Esteemed Forum Member!!
I would be thrilled to turn in my Official Forum Fashion Police Badge. No complaints from me. I hate having to flash it when players and coaches ask, "Why?".