The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 12:57pm
Broadcaster

When umpires fall

At a tournament this past weekend, a batter hit the ball to right center. BU went out and PU went to the right of the mound. BR touches first and heads to second. PU falls face first, gets up to an all fours position and stays. The throw comes in to second and beats the runner. PU raises his right arm from all fours. It looked funny, but he stayed still to make the call instead of trying to stand up and possibly miss the call.

Have any of you had or seen a situation where an umpire fell during a play?
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Been there, done that...

Bases empty, I'm in "A" position. Batter hits a grounder on the infield. I move into position to make the routine call.

Okay, so far. But we were playing on a very wet field that day. As I planted my foot to come set, the mud caused my foot to slide out from under me. I went down right on my ***.

I stayed with the play and made the out call (it wasn't even close) from the (now wet and muddy) seat of my pants.

That's the only time I can ever recall going down on a play.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Oh yea!!!

I had plate shoes for several years and wore down the soles to the point they were slick. Covering a play to second because my partner went out and slipped on the wet grass near the mound right on my butt. Hurt like hell but, as I was bouncing off the ground I managed to kept my head on the play, got on one knee and made the call, luckily it was an easy one.

Needless to say the new shoes were purchased the next day and the hip was sore for a week.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Oh yea!!!

I had plate shoes for several years and wore down the soles to the point they were slick. Covering a play to second because my partner went out and slipped on the wet grass near the mound right on my butt. Hurt like hell but, as I was bouncing off the ground I managed to kept my head on the play, got on one knee and made the call, luckily it was an easy one.

Needless to say the new shoes were purchased the next day and the hip was sore for a week.
Just did it 2 weeks ago when I neglected to check for berms at the edge of the dirt circle around home plate. 3" lip caught me as I was going into the grass. I did a nice tuck and roll which got me an "8" from the judges.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Cool

Coming out from behind the plate to follow a fly ball into center field, I neglected to check the area around home plate. I felt something under my feet (the bat) and time went into slow motion as I fell, face first to the turf. I scrambled to my feet, just in time to see the catch from my knees, I called the out!

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

Yes sir. In C position kid hits line drive that hits side of the mound and shoots the ball right at me. I fall to get out of the way. Easy play at first and I ring runner up from my backside.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 09:49am

Mine was similar. Three-man, runners and 2nd & 3rd. I'm U3 in the middle and a rocket is hit right at me. I open up with a pivot only to have the ball slice right toward me. I fall backwards and do a backwards somersault, catch my lid as it's falling & put it back on my head, pivot to 3rd as the SS throws and nails the runner going from 2nd to 3rd. I call the out to the howls of both dugouts.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to rcaverly
1. Day game. Rain. Dicey field. Two-man crew. I’m in B. R1 goes on the pitch. I “open the gate” and my right foot never stopped sliding. I assumed a leaning rest position parallel to the path of the ball. Surprisingly, I had a great, ground level look at the tag. Out.

2. Another day game. It’s blue and twenty-two. My dish. I'm looking pretty good in my fitted, plate coat. Bases empty. Deep, routine fly to F8. When I went to clear the catcher, I stubbed my right foot into one of his heels. I dropped, tucked and rolled through the RH batter’s box then sprang back up on my feet no worse the wear, except that I was now completely coated in plate dust. If anyone saw me go down, he didn’t mention it…and I didn’t bring it up.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

I'm thinking about trying this mechanic. It appears my brothers in blue are getting lots of outs with it !!!
Old Thu Mar 07, 2013, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, I am in A, deep ground ball RCF. I start in to make pivot, trip and fall face down. BR rounds 1b and heads to 2b, throw from F9 comes into 2b and my partner, having seen me fall is on it to make the call at 2b. That is the only fall I remember.
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

I have a bad ankle. I had the plate in slowpitch softball once, and came out from behind the plate; the ankle went, and I went with it. I managed to get up in time to make the call. Well, A call. Finished the game, too.

That was the last season I ever took the field without an ankle brace.
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Falling

I went to a College baseball camp. 3 man, lead by D1 umpires. I've always worn cleats in the field. Grass can be slick when wet, and mud even slicker. I don't like the idea of falling, getting hurt, or missing the play. One of the leads was giving me grief about it, telling me that I *had* to wear black sneakers.

A couple days later were were talking injuries, and one of the other leads was telling us about how, in the rain one day he lost it between first and second, slipping in the grass, going down hard, at an angle, and breaking his back.

The only time I've ever gone down is a stumble-footed pivot my first year. I'll keep my cleats, thanks.
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

ô!ô

Quote:
"I'll keep my cleats, thanks. "
You actually wear cleats when you umpire . . . now I have heard it all. You're "the guy."

T
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 07:56pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
You actually wear cleats when you umpire . . . now I have heard it all. You're "the guy."

T

I don't always agree w/ Tim, but in this case, I think you should get some umpire base shoes. And umpire plate shoes.

Maybe we're confusing the term "cleats"
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

I grew up thinking cleats were for football (round) and spikes were for baseball (as in Ty Cobb sharpening his spikes).

Of course I have never seen an umpire wear either.