The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

D3 Player Takes Cheap Shot

Anybody see this? No place for this anywhere...maybe WWE....

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/11/fit...player-college
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefsNCoaches View Post
Anybody see this? No place for this anywhere...maybe WWE....

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/11/fit...player-college
Just saw this myself. Yikes
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

College Basketball Player Viciously Elbows Opponent in Face During Disgusting Play | TMZ.com

The above link has the video.

This could be the dirtiest play in sports history ... a scumbag college basketball player straight-up elbowing an opponent in the FACE after shooting a 3-pointer ... and the video will piss you off.
This all went down on Tuesday night ... when Division III teams Fitchburg State and Nichols were playing in Massachusetts.
The guy who throws the 'bow is Fitchburg junior guard Kewan Platt ... ironically enough, he's a criminal justice major.
The man on the receiving end of the punch is Nichols guard Nate Tenaglia.
People are RAGING about the video on social media ... and Michael Rapaport is calling for Platt to be arrested.
Platt was called for a flagrant foul ... and Fitchburg ended up losing the game.
We've reached out to Fitchburg State, Nichols and the Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Commission for comment ... so far, no word back.
Originally Published -- 9:42 AM PST

UPDATE:

==================================

10:07 AM PT -- Fitchburg State has suspended Platt and barred him from campus for an unspecified amount of time.
"The Fitchburg State community is appalled by the conduct displayed during Tuesday night’s home basketball game."
"His behavior is antithetical to our community values and good sportsmanship. Fitchburg State does not tolerate behavior that violates those standards. The case is being reviewed at the student conduct level for consideration of further sanctions."
9:57 AM PT -- We spoke with the athletic director at Nichols College ... who says Tenaglia was able to return to the game and is doing fine ... and says the Fitchburg State athletic director called him to apologize for the incident and will hand down punishment accordingly.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

The second worst thing

Besides the elbow itself is that the kid looked at the L to see if he was watching the shooter (i.e., if the coast was clear to throw the elbow). Guess he forgot it was a 3-man crew (and good job by the T staying with the shooter).
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 03:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Protect The Shooter ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Guess he forgot it was a 3-man crew (and good job by the T staying with the shooter).
Reminder to all of us still officiating in the Pleistocene Epoch with two person crews to stay with shooter as the lead on this corner three point shot attempt.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 05:53pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Thumbs down Vicious

This has gone viral and is all over the web. As noted in another post, the player was suspended and banned from campus. I'm sure that's only the tip of the iceberg and there's more to come.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Besides the elbow itself is that the kid looked at the L to see if he was watching the shooter (i.e., if the coast was clear to throw the elbow). Guess he forgot it was a 3-man crew (and good job by the T staying with the shooter).
He apparently forgot that there were cameras too. SMH.

Wish more video was available. Probably is if one digs. I am curious as to why that player did that. What would provoke such an incident? Did the offended player make some previous threat or perform a dirty play that went unnoticed? It had to have been something. No one does that without a reason. Not saying it would be a valid reason, just saying that something triggered him.

Last edited by bucky; Wed Nov 14, 2018 at 06:29pm.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
This has gone viral and is all over the web. As noted in another post, the player was suspended and banned from campus. I'm sure that's only the tip of the iceberg and there's more to come.

As an official, this is a F2. I think T caught it late because of the way he reacted. Wish he had seen it more clearly. But the result was proper.

As a non-official.....that’s felony aggravated assault and should be charged as such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 07:37pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
As an official, this is a F2. I think T caught it late because of the way he reacted. Wish he had seen it more clearly. But the result was proper.

As a non-official.....that’s felony aggravated assault and should be charged as such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Flagrant technical.

The police should've been called. Just cause it happened during a game doesn't mean he shouldn't have been arrested for battery.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 08:33pm
This IS My Social Life

Longer footage is widely available on the web, which might bring up issues regarding either 1) the difference between NFHS and NCAA-M signaling and subsequent upgrading of the foul to a flagrant (NFHS) or flagrant 2 (NCAA-M), or 2) whether or not the covering official, having turned his head toward the flight of the ball, saw the actual foul or reacted only to the outcome of the foul.
We're grateful he made the call which ultimately led to the correct adjudication. I'm only analyzing mechanically, and not purely critically.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Flagrant technical.

The police should've been called. Just cause it happened during a game doesn't mean he shouldn't have been arrested for battery.
I actually have this occurring while the ball is live, thus a flagrant personal (NFHS) or F2 personal (NCAA). Not that it “really” matters, but still.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 08:36pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Longer footage is widely available on the web, which might bring up issues regarding either 1) the difference between NFHS and NCAA-M signaling and subsequent upgrading of the foul to a flagrant (NFHS) or flagrant 2 (NCAA-M), and 2) whether or not the covering official, having turned his head toward the flight of the ball, saw the actual foul or reacted only to the outcome of the foul.

We're grateful he made the call which ultimately led to the correct adjudication. I'm only analyzing mechanically, and not purely critically.

The shot wasn't contested. I'd expect the trail to move his eyes towards rebounding action. Good thing he picked up the kid with a brick in his hand and covered the play.

Crew did its job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 08:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I actually have this occurring while the ball is live, thus a flagrant personal (NFHS) or F2 personal (NCAA). Not that it “really” matters, but still.

It's close. Looks like the ball is 3/4 through the net when the foul occurs. So technically.....

Without replay, I'm likely going T.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

This falls within the realm of fighting. Flagrant 3.

ESPN reported:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ay-bars-campus

Last edited by bucky; Wed Nov 14, 2018 at 09:22pm.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It's close. Looks like the ball is 3/4 through the net when the foul occurs. So technically.....

Without replay, I'm likely going T.
I get that. I doubt anyone would be too concerned about the personal/technical aspect of this foul as long as it was picked up.

The only difference between F2 personal vs. technical in this situation would be the throw-in spot; since the shooter went out with an injury on a flagrant foul, anyone would be able to shoot the free throws if personal was ruled.